OK- I'll say it... | Syracusefan.com

OK- I'll say it...

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
I know its only All-Star games & they really don't mean much- but am I the only one who's noticed that DC2 has looked better than Noel?
The kid has a Wes Unseld/Kevin Love-like outlet pass, rebounds like a beast, and moves like a senior year Arinze Onauku...before ever setting foot on a college floor. He looks amazing out there.
Noel OTOH, has seemed kinda disinterested, although the shot-blocking skills are self-evident.
Lets just say I'm alot less worried about a NN commit after seeing what DC2 brings to the table.
Rak & DC2 on that baseline, not to mention Grant, Dirty, CJ, & Baye- will be a load next season!

I know its only All-Star games & they really don't mean much- but am I the only one who's noticed that DC2 has looked better than Noel?
The kid has a Wes Unseld/Kevin Love-like outlet pass, rebounds like a beast, and moves like a senior year Arinze Onauku...before ever setting foot on a college floor. He looks amazing out there.
Noel OTOH, has seemed kinda disinterested, although the shot-blocking skills are self-evident.
Lets just say I'm alot less worried about a NN commit after seeing what DC2 brings to the table.
Rak & DC2 on that baseline, not to mention Grant, Dirty, CJ, & Baye- will be a load next season!

I wouldn't put much stock or try to discern much about player potential from an all-star game.

I wouldn't put much stock or try to discern much about player potential from an all-star game.
Hence the initial disclaimer. But regardless, DC2 has looked better every time I've watched him- he moves great for his size.

I've only watched a little of the McD's game, but I've noticed Coleman is remarkably nimble for a guy his size. Not overly athletic by any stretch, but outstanding footwork and superior quickness and agility for a guy his size.

I haven't had a chance to see Noel at all yet, but I love what I'm hearing about DC2. I didn't think Kevin Love was athletic enough to do anything in the league and man was I wrong. If DC2 can approach that kind of skill level I'll love watching him play for however long he's here.

Noel is light years ahead of DC2 on defense. D2's biggest problem as a frosh will not be rebounding, passing or scoring, it will be defense in a big way. He needs to get even more mobile.

Noel is light years ahead of DC2 on defense. D2's biggest problem as a frosh will not be rebounding, passing or scoring, it will be defense in a big way. He needs to get even more mobile.
Yes, clearly, but couldn't you say as far ahead of Coleman that Noel is defensively, Coleman is that far ahead of Noel offensively? Or at least, far enough ahead offensively and with his rebounding to at least somewhat negate how far ahead of DC Noel is defensively?

Yes, clearly, but couldn't you say as far ahead of Coleman that Noel is defensively, Coleman is that far ahead of Noel offensively? Or at least, far enough ahead offensively and with his rebounding to at least somewhat negate how far ahead of DC Noel is defensively?
i'd say that about his rebounding.

Do you say this about DC2 at the 5 or is it assuming we get Noel? Noel would take up the majority of the minutes at the 5 meaning DC2's weakness would be his ability to cover the wing as the 4, unless Noel plays the 4.

Do you say this about DC2 at the 5 or is it assuming we get Noel? Noel would take up the majority of the minutes at the 5 meaning DC2's weakness would be his ability to cover the wing as the 4, unless Noel plays the 4.

I say that regardless of position. But DC2 will be a 5 and will have a ways to go to be a good defender.

I say that regardless of position. But DC2 will be a 5 and will have a ways to go to be a good defender.
But again, at the same time, whatever he gives up defensively he SHOULD be able to make up with his own ability to create offense for himself and others, and his rebounding, which will help limit second opportunities for the opposition...right?

Not saying he doesn't have to work on his defense, because of course he does, just looking for positives.

Why do you assume Noel going to the 5 and DC2 going to the 4 is a given?
I dont, thats why I said unless Noel plays the 4. From what people say it sounds like he would play a majority of the time at the 4.(Noel)

But again, at the same time, whatever he gives up defensively he SHOULD be able to make up with his own ability to create offense for himself and others, and his rebounding, which will help limit second opportunities for the opposition...right?

Not saying he doesn't have to work on his defense, because of course he does, just looking for positives.

He's a very skilled offensive big man and a good rebounder.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Coleman is going to be a special player for us. Noel is a once in 10 year type player. Two totally different players and positions. Noel is everything Anthony Davis wants to be and has the frame to put lbs on.

I think DC2 will be able to handle most college centers defensively... eventually. Mainly because he'll body a lot of them and make their positioning difficult. An agile center would give him some problems.

Whether he'll be able to handle driving guards or slashing forwards...don't know?

Coleman is going to be a special player for us. Noel is a once in 10 year type player. Two totally different players and positions. Noel is everything Anthony Davis wants to be and has the frame to put lbs on.
dude... come on.

I was most impressed with Grant - he's much bigger than I expected and moves great - he's just a natural forward for us

I am of the opinion that if we had both, it may be a good idea to go man. Noel can keep up with any 4. And Dajuan can handle a center that cant't shoot. maybe?

dude... come on.
Yeah, I think people have the "I hate Kentucky" blinders on. Davis is an absolutely special talent. He's a great shot blocker, like Noel, but people forget he was a point guard until his growth spurt, so his ball handling is well above average for his size, and he can knock down threes.

He's just an amazing player, with a once in a generation unibrow.

Yeah, I think people have the "I hate Kentucky" blinders on. Davis is an absolutely special talent. He's a great shot blocker, like Noel, but people forget he was a point guard until his growth spurt, so his ball handling is well above average for his size, and he can knock down threes.

He's just an amazing player, with a once in a generation unibrow.
pshhh mayben is in that Generation... right?

I made a less than flattering comment about Coleman's performance after the McD's AA game. I think it's fair to say that he played with more energy, looked more comfortable and was generally more assertive in the AA HSC today. These All-Star games need to be taken with a grain of salt and I still think DC will need to improve his conditioning to play more than 10 to 15 minutes per game in a BE schedule. But the talent, ability and tools are there. Sooner or later he is going to be a dominant force on both ends of the floor. Personally, I think it will be his sophomore year when we see what kind of real impact he can make for us.

Also, I try not to get caught up in the speculation and "what ifs" regarding Noel but I have to admit that the Grant / Coleman / Noel line looked awfully attractive.

As good as the DC/JG/NN line might have looked, we have to realize the only time we will ever see that if Noel commits is in blowouts, since JG is probably going to be the 9th or 10th man next year.

By the way, that puts into perspective just how much returning talent we have, doesn't it?

As good as the DC/JG/NN line might have looked, we have to realize the only time we will ever see that if Noel commits is in blowouts, since JG is probably going to be the 9th or 10th man next year.

By the way, that puts into perspective just how much returning talent we have, doesn't it?
sub in JS or CJ and its still as sexy.

I'm really going to catch hell for this. Here goes... Anthony Davis will be a bust in the NBA regardless of what dykes or vitale say.