OK- I'll say it... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OK- I'll say it...

I'm really going to catch hell for this. Here goes... Anthony Davis will be a bust in the NBA regardless of what dykes or vitale say.
define bust.

I'm really going to catch hell for this. Here goes... Anthony Davis will be a bust in the NBA regardless of what dykes or vitale say.

Bold. If he can fill in like Durant did I think the skies the limit. If Noel can give us 70% of what Davis did at UK we will be a very very good team next year.

When was the last time we had a stud rebounder? It seems like every team has had them except us.

Bold. If he can fill in like Durant did I think the skies the limit. If Noel can give us 70% of what Davis did at UK we will be a very very good team next year.
It's an unbelievable thought.

define bust.
Defined:

article-0-11D26BF2000005DC-254_634x795.jpg

Yeah, I think people have the "I hate Kentucky" blinders on. Davis is an absolutely special talent. He's a great shot blocker, like Noel, but people forget he was a point guard until his growth spurt, so his ball handling is well above average for his size, and he can knock down threes.

He's just an amazing player, with a once in a generation unibrow.
How did you get so funny?

if you watch noel on defense its really a work or art. it appears he has a low motor when in fact he is really just being smart on d. he is careful to avoid fouling and explosive getting up to block shots. coleman actually is not that bad on d.. he needs to learn to not foul so much when he gets beat but otherwise he is a decent defender. he is also a ferocious rebounder on both ends. grant has nice length and is going to be a nice player for us as well. with so many fellow classmates of noels looking at uk as well i have to feel confident that we can win this battle despite the depth upfront. bmk and rak are good with rak showing a lot of room to grow but neither should scare a future nba lotto pick from coming here. the big question will be can rak or bmk get cozy at the 4 so its purely noel or dc2 at the 5 unless foul trouble occurs?

I know its only All-Star games & they really don't mean much- but am I the only one who's noticed that DC2 has looked better than Noel?
The kid has a Wes Unseld/Kevin Love-like outlet pass, rebounds like a beast, and moves like a senior year Arinze Onauku...before ever setting foot on a college floor. He looks amazing out there.
Noel OTOH, has seemed kinda disinterested, although the shot-blocking skills are self-evident.
Lets just say I'm alot less worried about a NN commit after seeing what DC2 brings to the table.
Rak & DC2 on that baseline, not to mention Grant, Dirty, CJ, & Baye- will be a load next season!
i dont what the best way to say this is, and maybe someone else said it.

ALL STAR GAMES DON'T MEAN JACK THEY ARENT COACHED THEY ARE JUST PLAYING PICK UP

All-star game are a "look test". How a player moves can tell you a lot about him. They don't resemble actual games, of course. You can't tell much about defense, team play or post moves. 'Team' aspects are lost. MCW looked lost in last year's McDonald's game among all the dunk attempts but is clearly a major talent.

if you watch noel on defense its really a work or art. it appears he has a low motor when in fact he is really just being smart on d. he is careful to avoid fouling and explosive getting up to block shots. coleman actually is not that bad on d.. he needs to learn to not foul so much when he gets beat but otherwise he is a decent defender. he is also a ferocious rebounder on both ends. grant has nice length and is going to be a nice player for us as well. with so many fellow classmates of noels looking at uk as well i have to feel confident that we can win this battle despite the depth upfront. bmk and rak are good with rak showing a lot of room to grow but neither should scare a future nba lotto pick from coming here. the big question will be can rak or bmk get cozy at the 4 so its purely noel or dc2 at the 5 unless foul trouble occurs?

FWIW Coleman was the "5" tonight and Noel the "4". People think you need your shot blocker at center but it can be done from the forward positon as well. The big differecne is that Noel can cover the permimeter and Coleman can't. He lives in the paint.

Coleman is not going to have issues defending his 'man' ...since we play zone and he will play in the middle. knowing the structure of the zone and where the hot spots are is more important in playing the 5 in our system than is actual man on man defensive ability. he has enough quicks to get where he wants to go and seems smart enough to learn the nuances of positioning. craig forth would have trouble guarding the corpse of george muhresan but he was very adept in the zone

Noel is no Davis. Not even close. Davis dominates both ends. You barely noticed Noel on the floor. He plays with half the effort and doesn't have Davis's hands.

I dont, thats why I said unless Noel plays the 4. From what people say it sounds like he would play a majority of the time at the 4.(Noel)
Yeah, I reread your post and tried to delete mine, but apparently it didn't delete.

Hah, that's perfect.!

Seriously, it was like a page and a half of mostly one line responses - not asking too much to read them before responding. First off, yes someone else did make the "it's only an all-star game comment". Secondly, the OP prefaced his post with the line "I know it's only All-Star games and they really don't mean much".

I bet Thompson is reminding him that his stats will be better as a 5. Could be a potential weakness in our recruiting.

Noel is no Davis. Not even close. Davis dominates both ends. You barely noticed Noel on the floor. He plays with half the effort and doesn't have Davis's hands.

We'll take him anyway.

I think the whole debate between who's farther ahead, etc., is best answered this way:

-- DC2 is an excellent prospect who rebounds well and scores well and will likely contribute 12-15 mpg from the outset whether Noel arrives or not. Certainly room to improve from a conditioning and defense standpoint, but that could be said about 90% of all frosh.

-- NN may not be where DC2 is in terms of footwork and offensive production, but it's unlikely to matter in the sense that he brings a unique combination of length, athleticism and defensive prowess. Couple that with the fact that we play zone and a shot-blocker is even that much more important.

At the end of the day, to me, it's comparing apples and oranges. DC2 will help, even in short spurts, by giving us a guy we can feed in the post. NN, if he comes, will help in longer stretches giving us an imposing force defensively. Who is "ahead" or "behind" as an overall player isn't all that relevant.

Noel does have that perfect.. "pffft...oh...we're playing a game out here?" attitude down pat. He will fit in very well here.

I know its only All-Star games & they really don't mean much- but am I the only one who's noticed that DC2 has looked better than Noel?
The kid has a Wes Unseld/Kevin Love-like outlet pass, rebounds like a beast, and moves like a senior year Arinze Onauku...before ever setting foot on a college floor. He looks amazing out there.
Noel OTOH, has seemed kinda disinterested, although the shot-blocking skills are self-evident.
Lets just say I'm alot less worried about a NN commit after seeing what DC2 brings to the table.
Rak & DC2 on that baseline, not to mention Grant, Dirty, CJ, & Baye- will be a load next season!
Two years ago DC2 played in an outdoor all star game against Rakeem. It was a down to the wire game. Christmas looked lost going up against Coleman. DC was the man, making moves down low and very confident in that situation. He came through with the clutch points to earn his team the victory.

Coleman is going to be a special player for us. Noel is a once in 10 year type player. Two totally different players and positions. Noel is everything Anthony Davis wants to be and has the frame to put lbs on.

That's absurd. Anthony Davis would make Noel look silly.