Ok State's Mike Gundy: Stop investing in facilities. Invest in NIL instead. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ok State's Mike Gundy: Stop investing in facilities. Invest in NIL instead.

Younger people not donating is nothing new. They’re just getting their lives started. When I was in my 20’s I couldn’t afford it and rolled my eyes at getting requests for money. As I’ve aged and become more financially secure my contributions to SU have increased. If people want to see the university do well they will contribute. If they can afford to donate, but don’t than they shouldn’t complain.
That's not the point. There's a disconnect between the university and alumni. Over at Nunes, one of the admins mentioned he was a lifetime Varsity Club and that the university had no recollection of who he was when it came time to ask for some money despite being one for over ten years. That's just an example of the donor/customer relations. It shouldn't to get money for the university, but it is. Would you have a Melo Center if the person it's named after didn't donate? They'd still be in Manley.

Sports doesn’t work on logic. They (the players) drive outsized revenue and PR. Odds are they have the potential to provide much more value to the school than a regular student.
That's great. Congrats on explaining the value for the player. What's the value to me making this investment in heated seats or leather interior for players? let the school pay for that. There's zero quid pro quo to me donating to an NIL. I don't need the dopamine of my team becoming slightly better b/c I gave 10k to the SU NIL. It's pure lunacy.

If you tell me you give 1-2mm a year and with that comes an *ss slap from Dino/Red and front row seats on the charter that's great. I don't need that.

the logic will ultimately fall apart because consumers want something for something. Ultimately no one wnats to donate into a vacuum

That's not the point. There's a disconnect between the university and alumni. Over at Nunes, one of the admins mentioned he was a lifetime Varsity Club and that the university had no recollection of who he was when it came time to ask for some money despite being one for over ten years. That's just an example of the donor/customer relations. It shouldn't to get money for the university, but it is. Would you have a Melo Center if the person it's named after didn't donate? They'd still be in Manley.
This story is incredibly vague. Didn't know who he was how? A person? I don't expect every person who I deal with on the hill to know who I am.

It sounds like the person wants to be catered to. The university calls me anywhere from 6-10 times a year. If I want to deal with the alumni office I do it on my own. I also donate money on my own without being asked, and while I am not a whale I probably have a higher donor rank than 99% of people/posters here. Again not tooting my own horn here, but I don't see the need for white carpet treatment. To each their own and the Nunes writers love to set their own agendas.

Last edited:
That's great. Congrats on explaining the value for the player. What's the value to me making this investment in heated seats or leather interior for players? let the school pay for that. There's zero quid pro quo to me donating to an NIL. I don't need the dopamine of my team becoming slightly better b/c I gave 10k to the SU NIL. It's pure lunacy.

If you tell me you give 1-2mm a year and with that comes an *ss slap from Dino/Red and front row seats on the charter that's great. I don't need that.

the logic will ultimately fall apart because consumers want something for something. Ultimately no one wnats to donate into a vacuum
I don’t disagree, but people view success of the team as their own success and that drives investment. Just look at how many posters here say they’re “embarrassed” by the play on the field after a loss, as if it personally affects them. The amount of people who use the word “we” to describe a team they’ve never played for. Or even the fans who argue with each other on Twitter about whose team is better, and then the insults that get hurled. They do and say these things because they feel like a teams success is their success. When Alabama wins a national championship, only 120 or so players and staff played a direct role in that, but that doesn’t stop a Million Alabama fans from yelling “we won!”

That’s why the money will continue to flow despite logic telling you that individuals should want something tangible out of their “investments”

I completely get where you’re coming from and in some ways agree with you. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll contribute to NIL, but I’m leaning yes even though I don’t like a lot about it.

To some of your points above though, the logic of NIL is easier to understand when you look at it through the lens that this system we have right now isn’t really what the NCAA envisioned when it passed. It was supposed to be businesses getting player endorsements and players getting royalties on jersey sales. So there was supposed to be value on both sides, as you say.

As with any system put in place though, the first thing people will do is find ways to exploit or game the system to their advantage. The NCAA was sloppy and didn’t think through the regulations before hastily passing them, so they were easily exploited and there’s basically no control now.

Sweeping generalizations are always wrong. There are absolutely some kids that sell themselves to the highest bidder but that is a small percentage of an 85 man roster. Most are still looking at the bigger picture and multiple criteria when deciding on a school.

And Gundy is at a school that has been cashing 8 figure checks from T Boone Pickens for years and investing in facilities. The only thing OSU could build with more athletics facility money is a private space shuttle
I think your living in a bubble if you think a small percentage aren't going to the highest bidder.

This story is incredibly vague. Didn't know who he was how? A person? I don't expect every person who I deal with on the hill to know who I am.

It sounds like the person wants to be catered to. The university calls me anywhere from 6-10 times a year. If I want to deal with the alumni office I do it on my own. I also donate money on my own without being asked, and while I am not a whale I probably have a higher donor rank than 99% of people/posters here. Again not tooting my own horn here, but I don't see the need for white carpet treatment. To each their own and the Nunes writers love to set their own agendas.
University folks have flat out told me they’ve screwed up and haven’t managed relationships well. It was purely transactional - just calling annd asking for money. That’s not how well run donor operations work. It’s great that you donate but the average big donor doesn’t. It takes work and effort. The fact that the AD restructured how it goes after money shows they know it too. We shouldn’t be criticizing the school for finally doing things better. Every donor is different. If the school just waited for folks like you, we’d be back where we were under Jake C.

University folks have flat out told me they’ve screwed up and haven’t managed relationships well. It was purely transactional - just calling annd asking for money. That’s not how well run donor operations work. It’s great that you donate but the average big donor doesn’t. It takes work and effort. The fact that the AD restructured how it goes after money shows they know it too. We shouldn’t be criticizing the school for finally doing things better. Every donor is different. If the school just waited for folks like you, we’d be back where we were under Jake C.
I agree it’s got better than it was in the last. Wildhack is part of that and it’s been night and day since we hired Mike Paulus which was 2-3 years ago at this point. The person I responded to made it sound like this is a new problem. I’d argue fan engagement Is better than it’s ever been both from a personal and digital standpoint.

I think your living in a bubble if you think a small percentage aren't going to the highest bidder.
If you haven’t talked to individuals who run the collectives, national experts in the NIL world and a significant number of D1 football players you probably don’t know what the truth is. The majority of D1 football players are not choosing a program by signing with the highest bidder. There are players on our team high up on the depth chart that don’t even explore NIL opportunities because they don’t believe they exist outside of QB1 level talent.
High level D1 basketball may be different, but in football recruiting I stand by my statement.

I completely get where you’re coming from and in some ways agree with you. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll contribute to NIL, but I’m leaning yes even though I don’t like a lot about it.

To some of your points above though, the logic of NIL is easier to understand when you look at it through the lens that this system we have right now isn’t really what the NCAA envisioned when it passed. It was supposed to be businesses getting player endorsements and players getting royalties on jersey sales. So there was supposed to be value on both sides, as you say.

As with any system put in place though, the first thing people will do is find ways to exploit or game the system to their advantage. The NCAA was sloppy and didn’t think through the regulations before hastily passing them, so they were easily exploited and there’s basically no control now.
There is a second motivation to contribute to NIL that goes beyond player acquisition and retention and it is the primary motivation that drove the birth
of the SyraCRUZ Tailgate NIL Initiative. We simply wanted to show appreciation for the commitment, hard work and positive representation each player has dedicated to Syracuse University. We generally work with players a notch or two below the top names on the roster to show that support, and while we don’t offer life changing money, we offer the opportunity to engage with the fan base and provide a modest level of compensation for that. Think of it as a gratuity. We are not naive enough to think that a 5star player will come to Syracuse because of some little fan led collective providing a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, but we do feel we are fostering a culture that appreciates and supports our student athletes and gives them a little something for their efforts.

If that’s your motivation and you haven’t done so yet, PM me for details on how you can join us.

If you haven’t talked to individuals who run the collectives, national experts in the NIL world and a significant number of D1 football players you probably don’t know what the truth is. The majority of D1 football players are not choosing a program by signing with the highest bidder. There are players on our team high up on the depth chart that don’t even explore NIL opportunities because they don’t believe they exist outside of QB1 level talent.
High level D1 basketball may be different, but in football recruiting I stand by my statement.
I listen to coaches. And they say recruiting for them has all changed. They say the first thing they are asked 9 times out of 10 is how much I can get paid here. NOT, am I going to play right away, classes or majors are at the school that fit me, etc.

Listen to SiriusXM College Sports Radio every coach says the same thing when they are asked about this topic. From coaches at big programs to coaches at mid level programs, to coaches at Non P5 schools.

It's just about the money!

Bumping. Tell Lally to cut the check.
He's already said he'll look to get more involved with NIL once his complex payments are done

He's already said he'll look to get more involved with NIL once his complex payments are done
That’s probably not for at least 5 years then.

They don't have years to wait. As I've told someone close to the athletics operations, the magnitude at which SU doesn't understand NIL is mind boggling.

MSOrange you can dislike it but it's the truth. They're behind with facilities and further behind with paying players.

MSOrange you can dislike it but it's the truth. They're behind with facilities and further behind with paying players.
I don't disagree, but your solution to ring up Lally was stupid when he's already spoken about the topic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom