Oklahoma to the B1G | Syracusefan.com

Oklahoma to the B1G

Ok, so if this happens, the Big 12 is toast, right? Does UT keep the conference going because they don't need the money?

fad01b4ea7128aef45c34ae515409df5008ba746e83b26aefe8f35f0cb384c4f.jpg

If true UT heads west and joins the pac whatever or goes indy like ND with some sort of 5 game affiliation and bowl hookup with the pac whatever.

Wonder what happens to the Jayhawks hoops team... they are an anchor tenant for any conference they belong to. Maybe Pac whatever also?

If true UT heads west and joins the pac whatever or goes indy like ND with some sort of 5 game affiliation and bowl hookup with the pac whatever.

Wonder what happens to the Jayhawks hoops team... they are an anchor tenant for any conference they belong to. Maybe Pac whatever also?
I'm gonna try and say this in every thread I can, I really hope the ACC goes after Texas. Not sure the 5 game scheduling would work again, as ND has that sweet deal, but I don't see why the PAC is automatically a better fit for them than the east. Obvioously the SEC is out, so its either the B10 or ACC. Would the B10 be able to gobble them and OU/OSU up? They would have to go to 18. Perhaps take UT, TTU, Kansas, OU, OSU, etc.?

I'm gonna try and say this in every thread I can, I really hope the ACC goes after Texas. Not sure the 5 game scheduling would work again, as ND has that sweet deal, but I don't see why the PAC is automatically a better fit for them than the east. Obvioously the SEC is out, so its either the B10 or ACC. Would the B10 be able to gobble them and OU/OSU up? They would have to go to 18. Perhaps take UT, TTU, Kansas, OU, OSU, etc.?
The Pac10 rumor isn't my take it's the take of people in Austin who are connected pretty heavily with UT. I think the main reason the ACC doesn't fit for UT is LHN and that new ACC network deal we just signed with ESPN. UT ain't going to give up the revenue that LHN gives them. I don't think there is a Pac10 network so UT could probably still keep LHN going.

However LHN is owned by Disney as is ESPN and LHN is losing money in a big way so maybe all options are all on the table. Given that I live in Austin I would LOVE it if UT joined the ACC.

Texas has expressed interest in the east. They don't like the late starts and the population is on the east coast.

Texas has avoided the SEC like the plague based on academics and perception of the conference.

The B1G and ACC are great fits academically (as is the PAC). Both offer eastern exposure. The B1G offers northern plains teams. The ACC offers east coast teams. Not sure either is a major advantage when it comes to travel, though the east coast is certainly more enticing from a fan's perspective than say every B1G West team.

The Pac10 rumor isn't my take it's the take of people in Austin who are connected pretty heavily with UT. I think the main reason the ACC doesn't fit for UT is LHN and that new ACC network deal we just signed with ESPN. UT ain't going to give up the revenue that LHN gives them. I don't think there is a Pac10 network so UT could probably still keep LHN going.

However LHN is owned by Disney as is ESPN and LHN is losing money in a big way so maybe all options are all on the table. Given that I live in Austin I would LOVE it if UT joined the ACC.
I hear ya. I too have heard the PAC rumor for UT, and I imagine that West is much more likely than East for them, just was voicing my desire to have them join the ACC as well. I believe the PAC does have a network as well, so the fact that the LHN is owned by ESPN makes the possibilities more likely. With UT blocked from the SEC, and as you said the ownership of the LHN being a sticking point for them, perhaps the ACC is more likely than the B10? Who knows.

Texas has expressed interest in the east. They don't like the late starts and the population is on the east coast.

Texas has avoided the SEC like the plague based on academics and perception of the conference.

The B1G and ACC are great fits academically (as is the PAC). Both offer eastern exposure. The B1G offers northern plains teams. The ACC offers east coast teams. Not sure either is a major advantage when it comes to travel, though the east coast is certainly more enticing from a fan's perspective than say every B1G West team.
Didn't realize UT was anti-SEC. I would imagine A&M voting hard to keep them out, even if they wanted to join. Was UT asked to join the SEC before A&M got offered?

Last edited:
I still can't believe the B1G didn't take Mizzou when the Tigers were essentially begging to join prior to their move to the SEC.

Didn't realize UT was anti-SEC. I wouldn't imagine A&M voting hard to keep them out, even if they wanted to join. Was UT asked to join the SEC before A&M got offered?

I have no proof nor insider info, my understanding is the SEC would have UT but UT frowns on the SEC academics and other issues. TAMU wanted to go with Arkansas when the SWC fell apart in the 90's but UT led the fight to force TAMU to go along with UT, Baylor and TTU to the Big 12. I don't think that TAMU would fight to keep UT out of the SEC and clearly TAMU (and Mizzou somewhat) improve the SEC academically.

I still can't believe the B1G didn't take Mizzou when the Tigers were essentially begging to join prior to their move to the SEC.
I think they were so full of themselves that they assumed Mizzou, Syracuse and Pitt would be there when they were ready. All three were rumored to have been high on the list but not garnering enough support to get the invite. All three wanted to secure their future. For all of Delaney's foresightedness, he really missed scoring big with solid hits moving the base runners while swinging for the fences (UNC, UVA, Duke) and ending up striking out with UMD and Rutgers.

Ignore the AAU argument. It was a couple of B1G teams that voted against UNL keeping their AAU status while getting the B1G invite. The AAU had recently moved their focus from research in general to more medical research which is why UNL lost their AAU membership (UNL does not own the medical school) and Syracuse surrendered their membership. NOTE: Syverud may have AAU in the back of his mind (status) in his push for more hard science and gaining a medical school. Regardless, there is too much research money being spent elsewhere when Syracuse could get a bigger slice of that pie. Research is in the Billions at some schools (which is why Athletics is not as big of a deal as many of us would like to think).

What about the grant of rights of the big 12? If it's that easy to get out of then the ACC is just as vulnerable.

What about the grant of rights of the big 12? If it's that easy to get out of then the ACC is just as vulnerable.

The GOR is not easy to get out of but as the grant shortens in time the value decreases. The Big 12 GOR is only 9 seasons now. Also, if UT and OU leave, there is no conference, the remaining teams can fight for a payout but any move of UT and/or OU will increase the TV deal of the gaining conference making a buyout a possibility, especially as the GOR duration grows shorter. Finally, there is an option that if the conference votes to disband, then the GOR is disbanded; naturally this only occurs if every Big 12 team lands a gig in the other Power conferences.

Then the big 12 is finished. Where will Texas go? Big 10 as well?

This could turn bad for the ACC unless we take the left overs like Kansas and WVU.

Then the big 12 is finished. Where will Texas go? Big 10 as well?

This could turn bad for the ACC unless we take the left overs like Kansas and WVU.
As they have 9 season on the GOR, they can see what happens and "try" out expansion by inviting 2-6 teams. If they can garner a large enough support base by the end of the current deal, they can enter a new deal. If not, then the band falls apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom