OL Discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OL Discussion

I'd like to get more than that.

Bradford has to be 30 years old by now, right?

I would like to get 5 new starters but there are slim pickings with portal OL. I think the group I listed can be a quality OL. But that is assuming a decent LT comes, in which case we might not be able to find. Anything better than that (more Xfers) is a cherry on top.

I thought Joe Cruz played well coming in at the end of the season. If he can get his weight into the 315-320 during the off-season and build on his strength he could easily becomes a good starter.

Guys who never get the chance and then come in and take it i always try to keep an eye on.

I would like to get a portal LT, move Cruz to RT, and Wohlabaugh back to G.

So...

LT Xfer
LG J. Cruz/Bradford
C Reed/Illaoa
RG Wohlabaugh/Ellis
RT E. Cruz
It is great to dream but the reality is that OL are the scarcest commodity in the portal. Most of the best have already been scooped up. The few left are either looking at enormous paydays with the Michigan and Texas type programs with almost unlimited NIL to spend, or might not be better than what we have today.

I would be surprised and thrilled if we can find even one player in the portal or the JUCO ranks that is good enough to beat out our starters.

I think there are some class of 2024 prospects with a lot of promise out there that we would have a better chance getting. But they are almost surely going to take some time to develop.

I checked to see if UL has any OL in the portal that Coach Williams might be familiar with. There is one OG. Maybe we reach out to him? He did not sound highly recruited.

It is extremely slim pickings out there.

Our best bet might end up saving a couple of slots to pick up an OL who wants out after spring ball. There will be a new wave of OL disgruntled after getting beaten out for starting positions and our staff has a lot of contacts to a lot of players.

If Kyle McCord verbals here this weekend, along with Haynes and some of the other top recruits here, maybe this helps here.

OLine has been average to underperforming...I have to believe SOME of that is due to Edinger's S& C program..now defunct. If the new S&C program can provide 10 new bodies and the new Oline coach
can tune techniques, we ought to be able to have 8 players that can step up and deliver. I thought Cruz, Reed and Wohly-bully were solid...after that inconsistent. Wouldn't mind picking up 1 or 2 in the portal...

OLine has been average to underperforming...I have to believe SOME of that is due to Edinger's S& C program..now defunct. If the new S&C program can provide 10 new bodies and the new Oline coach
can tune techniques, we ought to be able to have 8 players that can step up and deliver. I thought Cruz, Reed and Wohly-bully were solid...after that inconsistent. Wouldn't mind picking up 1 or 2 in the portal...
I'll disagree, that its S + C. Technique? Absolutely. Run block seemed improved, the last 3 games.

A couple well developed guys stepping in, could certainly be a help. Can help improve a guy, to their left and right, but you're often only as good as your weekest link.

Giants have suffered from poor Oline play, but I think they've done an OK job scheming a way, to help Tommy out. Good to have Nixon coming aboard. Scheme what you CAN do, not what Football for Dummies, or Madden Rookie mode says you should do...

I'll disagree, that its S + C. Technique? Absolutely. Run block seemed improved, the last 3 games.

A couple well developed guys stepping in, could certainly be a help. Can help improve a guy, to their left and right, but you're often only as good as your weekest link.

Giants have suffered from poor Oline play, but I think they've done an OK job scheming a way, to help Tommy out. Good to have Nixon coming aboard. Scheme what you CAN do, not what Football for Dummies, or Madden Rookie mode says you should do...

I liked the coach clip...

But the last 3 games we played teams that ended up a collective 13 and 23.

A guess off the top of my head

LT E Cruz/Petry
LG More/Bradford
C Reed/Ilaoa
RG J Cruz/Ellis
RT Wohlabaugh/Petry

This assumes all these guys will return.

We have a lot of players with playing experience. I think all of the players listed have started at least a game or two.

More is applying for a waiver from the NCAA for another redshirt year. It is a not a given he will be back.

There are some decent pieces to work with there, if we can bring in 3 or 4 really talented guys. This second visit weekend seems to have more linemen on both sides of the ball than last weekend.

I'm kind of surprised we don't seem to be involved with Michigan State transfers Geno Vandemark or Kevin Wigenton, a pair of Jersey guys who would seem like natural targets. Neither has committed anywhere yet, but they both have options.

Any possibility Clement moves from TE to OT? He came in at 6’7 275. Heard he looked good at TE but if he has really good mobility could be great OT if he added some weight.

Any possibility Clement moves from TE to OT? He came in at 6’7 275. Heard he looked good at TE but if he has really good mobility could be great OT if he added some weight.
With the proper dedication to S&c of course it's possible.

But he projects to be a pretty good TE, so why not let him be that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom