Class of 2016 - OL Liam Smith (NJ) Verbal to Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OL Liam Smith (NJ) Verbal to Duke

Cuse should put a full court press on Liam like they did with Jake P. Need to show the NJ HS coaches that the Orange mean business in the Garden State.

Yes except it is the quiet period until 4/14 so no face to face contact with kids unless they are on campus.

B_8Ji3fUYAA5Wdm.jpg:large

6:15 PM - 12 Mar 2015
Todderick Hunt ‏@TodderickHunt 11h11 hours ago
No wonder these bigs made the http://NJ.com Top 50. Workin hard while others R snuggled up. #NJFbAllYrRound

Smith is in the green shirt.
What I really want to know is if the "R" in that tweet is suppose to be a subliminal message? ;)

Here is the subtweet...

Todderick Hunt ‏@TodderickHunt 9h9 hours ago
@rburn20 From left to right: Ben Petrula, Thomas Lopez, Liam Smith and Will Fries. Three of the four hold #Rutgers offers.

Last edited:
Bump. Kid was on campus last weekend. I know TOS had something. Anybody heard anything!?

Dohn tweeted that Smith is announcing this afternoon.

Dohn tweeted that Smith is announcing this afternoon.

Yep, and won't be Syracuse. Too bad. Position of need, in a region we want to pull from, and a kid we were in early on. These are the ones we have to win, and it's especially going to hurt since he's either going to Rutgers, or UVA I believe. My money is on UVA.

Amazing Duke continues to roll in recruiting. Wow.

Last edited:
Can't argue with any kid going to Duke if they have the opportunity to. Same with Stanford or Cal. Best of luck to him.
Good luck to Liam. I wish him great success in Durham.

David Cutcliffe is 60 years old. I don't see Duke having great success once he has moved on to retirement...

This gives Duke their 3rd 4star recruit in the 2016 cycle .

sutomcat said:
Good luck to Liam. I wish him great success in Durham. David Cutcliffe is 60 years old. I don't see Duke having great success once he has moved on to retirement...

I wish we would take Dukes approach to scheduling. I'm sure that has helped with there improved recruiting.

Do you see brown committing anytime soon, if we can pull him and Washington that will give me hope.
At least with Smith he isnt going to Rutgers so it upsets me, just not as bad as it could.

cuseman404 said:
Do you see brown committing anytime soon, if we can pull him and Washington that will give me hope. At least with Smith he isnt going to Rutgers so it upsets me, just not as bad as it could.

I think the first week of May.

Nice. Good job by Duke. Those idiots over at buttgers honestly believe they pulled OL Field's offer because they were going to put together a monster OL class and had bigger fish to fry like Liam. What a joke.

Just took a closer look to Duke's class so far. #11 Nationally. at tos 4 top 300 commits (114, 119, 165, 262 respectively), and 2 guys Cuse was after hard that had visited (Liam Smith, Antonie Williams).

Now that's great recruiting.

Just took a closer look to Duke's class so far. #11 Nationally. at tos 4 top 300 commits (114, 119, 165, 262 respectively), and 2 guys Cuse was after hard that had visited (Liam Smith, Antonie Williams).

Now that's great recruiting.

LOL yeah but truthfully how many of our fanbase would have been out for his head in his first years at Duke...

Coach Cutcliffe
Duke went 4–8 in 2008 and Duke's 2009 season was a 5-7. Cutcliffe's Duke teams had back-to-back 3-9 seasons in 2010 and 2011. Duke's 2012 team, despite low preseason expectations, after a 33–30 win against rival North Carolina became bowl eligible for the first time since 1994. Extending its season to December 27, 2012, Duke fell to Cincinnati 48–34 in a close contest in the Belk Bowl, finishing the season with a 6–7 record.

LOL yeah but truthfully how many of our fanbase would have been out for his head in his first years at Duke...

Coach Cutcliffe
Duke went 4–8 in 2008 and Duke's 2009 season was a 5-7. Cutcliffe's Duke teams had back-to-back 3-9 seasons in 2010 and 2011. Duke's 2012 team, despite low preseason expectations, after a 33–30 win against rival North Carolina became bowl eligible for the first time since 1994. Extending its season to December 27, 2012, Duke fell to Cincinnati 48–34 in a close contest in the Belk Bowl, finishing the season with a 6–7 record.

Sounds about right though. They started to turn it around in year 5 of their rebuild. Who knows, if Marrone doesn't leave maybe we are Duke right now?

Sounds about right though. They started to turn it around in year 5 of their rebuild. Who knows, if Marrone doesn't leave maybe we are Duke right now?

Maybe...maybe not.

Its unfair to compare Cutcliffe and HCSS as to current states of the respective programs and recruiting. Give HCSS 7 years and then it's a fair comparison imo. Cutcliffe didn't have a winning season in his first six and was 21-31 overall.

How many are willing to give HCSS that time to rebuild our program and build the relationships it takes to accomplish what we all want? I am and do hope he can get it done.

With a portion of our fan base Cutcliffe would been out after Year 3 and we wouldn't be having this discussion.