Class of 2017 - OL Marcus Minor (MD) Verbal to UMD | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 OL Marcus Minor (MD) Verbal to UMD

http://www.todaysu.com/recruiting/c...rcus-minor-make-visits-releasing-top-schools/

As a four-star offensive tackle, who ranks as the No. 4 prospect in the state of Maryland, junior Marcus Minor has spent his fair share of time watching highlights on ESPN. It was during that time in which the 6-foot-4, 283-pound lineman considered a future career in journalism.

“Since maybe 7th grade, 6th grade,” Minor told Today’s U. “I always liked the ESPN commentating. I just enjoy seeing that and I guess I wanted to do it.”

With that potential craft in the back of his mind for now, Minor is in the middle of a busy offseason that includes making visits to several potential schools that have offered him football scholarships. As of now, Minor holds 17 Division-I offers

“I’m kind of getting them all in before we go down the road of DeMatha football,” Minor told Today’s U. “I’m visiting Pitt and West Virginia this weekend. I’m going to Auburn March 16th, I’m going to, I think, Syracuse, Boston College, Miami and Rutgers by spring break. I’ve been on six visits now, so it’s just trying to get them all in and see what I think of the places. Then I will go down the path I said I was on.”

That path is a story yet to be written by Minor, but it will include the trimming of his list, one which will eventually produce the order of his top schools. Minor was not always a highly coveted recruit, though. He says that recognition came during his junior campaign.

“It was an explosion,” Minor said. “Actually having 17 offers now and going up rankings-wise, I’m known nationally. I don’t really try to pay attention to them because rankings don’t mean anything. I was able to receive 17 offers and I’m one of the top prospects in Maryland, I think it’s just a blessing to be here right now.”

One school that recently took notice of Minor’s stature and talent on the offensive line is Penn State, a nearby school that recruits the state of Maryland as hard as any. Minor spoke about his recent offer from the Nittany Lions and described the process from camp to offer.

“Actually, I went to the camp last Summer and that’s when coach Herb Hand was there, the offensive line coach,” Minor said. “It was going well. They said they were going to recruit me hard. going through the season I talked to them a lot and I actually ended up getting an offer later down the road. Either way I still was able to come out with an offer, so it was a good feeling.”

Minor has visited the Penn State campus in the past, so the Maryland native is familiar with what Happy Valley has to offer. Other schools, though, do not have the advantage of such close proximity to his home in Hyattsville, so he will keep his eyes peeled during his upcoming unofficial visits.

“I’m paying attention to everything,” Minor said. “Schools that have my major of journalism, Schools that I feel comfortable as I school I like the coaching staff, I’m able to bond like them as family instead of treating it all like a business. Just a place I feel like is another home and not a place I feel uncomfortable at. A place I can be happy at for the next few years.”

Whichever school winds up with Minor’s services will be receiving a skilled athlete that has the frame, strength and work ethic to succeed at the next level.

“I would say I’m aggressive,” Minor said. “I play with a chip on my shoulder so I always have energy, and I don’t want to ever be outworked. I play smart, I have the I.Q. for football. I’m athletic and I’m able to get the job done.”

http://www.todaysu.com/recruiting/c...rcus-minor-make-visits-releasing-top-schools/

As a four-star offensive tackle, who ranks as the No. 4 prospect in the state of Maryland, junior Marcus Minor has spent his fair share of time watching highlights on ESPN. It was during that time in which the 6-foot-4, 283-pound lineman considered a future career in journalism.

“Since maybe 7th grade, 6th grade,” Minor told Today’s U. “I always liked the ESPN commentating. I just enjoy seeing that and I guess I wanted to do it.”

With that potential craft in the back of his mind for now, Minor is in the middle of a busy offseason that includes making visits to several potential schools that have offered him football scholarships. As of now, Minor holds 17 Division-I offers

“I’m kind of getting them all in before we go down the road of DeMatha football,” Minor told Today’s U. “I’m visiting Pitt and West Virginia this weekend. I’m going to Auburn March 16th, I’m going to, I think, Syracuse, Boston College, Miami and Rutgers by spring break. I’ve been on six visits now, so it’s just trying to get them all in and see what I think of the places. Then I will go down the path I said I was on.”

That path is a story yet to be written by Minor, but it will include the trimming of his list, one which will eventually produce the order of his top schools. Minor was not always a highly coveted recruit, though. He says that recognition came during his junior campaign.

“It was an explosion,” Minor said. “Actually having 17 offers now and going up rankings-wise, I’m known nationally. I don’t really try to pay attention to them because rankings don’t mean anything. I was able to receive 17 offers and I’m one of the top prospects in Maryland, I think it’s just a blessing to be here right now.”

One school that recently took notice of Minor’s stature and talent on the offensive line is Penn State, a nearby school that recruits the state of Maryland as hard as any. Minor spoke about his recent offer from the Nittany Lions and described the process from camp to offer.

“Actually, I went to the camp last Summer and that’s when coach Herb Hand was there, the offensive line coach,” Minor said. “It was going well. They said they were going to recruit me hard. going through the season I talked to them a lot and I actually ended up getting an offer later down the road. Either way I still was able to come out with an offer, so it was a good feeling.”

Minor has visited the Penn State campus in the past, so the Maryland native is familiar with what Happy Valley has to offer. Other schools, though, do not have the advantage of such close proximity to his home in Hyattsville, so he will keep his eyes peeled during his upcoming unofficial visits.

“I’m paying attention to everything,” Minor said. “Schools that have my major of journalism, Schools that I feel comfortable as I school I like the coaching staff, I’m able to bond like them as family instead of treating it all like a business. Just a place I feel like is another home and not a place I feel uncomfortable at. A place I can be happy at for the next few years.”

Whichever school winds up with Minor’s services will be receiving a skilled athlete that has the frame, strength and work ethic to succeed at the next level.

“I would say I’m aggressive,” Minor said. “I play with a chip on my shoulder so I always have energy, and I don’t want to ever be outworked. I play smart, I have the I.Q. for football. I’m athletic and I’m able to get the job done.”
He is the kind of player we should be a lock to get. Would love to see someone at SU put together a customized mural for him featuring all the sports broadcasting greats that have come through Syracuse. Maybe include his face along with the faces of a bunch of our alums. That would be cool...

He is the kind of player we should be a lock to get. Would love to see someone at SU put together a customized mural for him featuring all the sports broadcasting greats that have come through Syracuse. Maybe include his face along with the faces of a bunch of our alums. That would be cool...
I read the article on what he was looking for in a school as ".A “School that has my major of journalism, Schools that I feel comfortable as I school I like the coaching staff, I’m able to bond like them as family instead of treating it all like a business. Just a place I feel like is another home and not a place I feel uncomfortable at. A place I can be happy at for the next few years.” I said this is just the place this young man. Go SU

I read the article on what he was looking for in a school as ".A “School that has my major of journalism, Schools that I feel comfortable as I school I like the coaching staff, I’m able to bond like them as family instead of treating it all like a business. Just a place I feel like is another home and not a place I feel uncomfortable at. A place I can be happy at for the next few years.” I said this is just the place this young man. Go SU
Sadly I've seen this hundreds of times since following recruiting and the kids rarely end up here. Doesn't matter how perfect we sound as a fit, the name recognition of a program trumps all.

Sadly I've seen this hundreds of times since following recruiting and the kids rarely end up here. Doesn't matter how perfect we sound as a fit, the name recognition of a program trumps all.
Not to mention the number of CRS majors on the basketball and football rosters.

Ya I hear ya but there something a little different about this kid.

Any predictions about where he's going? I can't imagine that he is coming here.

These are the kind of kids we should be all in on next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom