Class of 2019 - OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OL Willie Tyler (WI / IWCC / TEXAS) Portal from Rutgers to Louisville

Worthlessly speculative question. If WT was fresh out of HS right now, would he be a high 3 or a 4 star like Qadir White?
He's as much as a project now as he was in HS. According to his Texas bio, he was primarily a DT in high school and converted to O-Line at Iowa Western. And in HS, he only really had one year as a breakout player on the D-Line.

There's really nothing quantifiable about him.

Kid reminds this fan of Andrew Tiller except for the bit about being from the south. Here’s hoping Tyler (even sounds like “Tiller”) produces the same results both at SU and after. White out, Tyler in. Would welcome that 10 out of 9 times.
He's actually from Wisconsin.

If we are going to keep running A gaps like we have for five years we need these big dudes. Almost looks like a power online is what they r looking for which is exactly what I want. Our center needs to be close too 300 but also move and our guards should be 330 ish and tackles in the 295 range. In my happy place anyways.

Kid reminds this fan of Andrew Tiller except for the bit about being from the south. Here’s hoping Tyler (even sounds like “Tiller”) produces the same results both at SU and after. White out, Tyler in. Would welcome that 10 out of 9 times.
LoL I thought the same...he might even be an inch or two taller.

I'm not going to get ahead of myself but at worst I think we have a quality backup for this year. If he develops he could start for two years.

You want your OL to average 6' 5" or so...to wear down the DL and keep their hands occupied to avoid batting down passes.

No doubt. I'm not trying to put him down - he's obviously a great athlete. But he's had a unique path to get here, and expectations shouldn't be through the roof.
Yeah, people really need to keep things in check here. Wasn't really recruited out of HS, then had 2 P5 offers out of JUCO in TX and WV, never played a down there and then had 0 P5 offers in the Portal besides us. Can't teach his size so I guess we'll see if Schmidt can work some magic because he appears to be a giant ball of clay.

We have so many bodies at Oline we can afford to take a flier ...if he even is one. If he's not, then huge plus for us.

This is absolutely a no lose situation at all
Zactly... hopefully worst case he is a quality back up. It is up to him and his abilities.

Rhino is my favorite Cuse player...but having a 6' 1" tall guy on the OL is not great. He won me over with his selfless act of team first though. IMHO, only exception is a Center or Snapper can get by being shorter.

Rhino I hope you can play in the NFL and hang for a few years...but I want to see you back as an assistant coach soon.

Zactly... hopefully worst case he is a quality back up. It is up to him and his abilities.

Rhino is my favorite Cuse player...but having a 6' 1" tall guy on the OL is not great. He won me over with his selfless act of team first though. IMHO, only exception is a Center or Snapper can get by being shorter.

Rhino I hope you can play in the NFL and hang for a few years...but I want to see you back as an assistant coach soon.
I hear you. But Rhino actually shocked me with his ability. I thought he was just brought in as a big body, who would just eat up some space as a "FB" in the run game.

He has turned out to be so much more. Much more powerful than I anticipated, an exceptional team first guy (true football player), and effective at just about anywhere you put him ...FB, Guard, DT (might as well try him at receiver while we are at it). And then Dino comes out and says Rhino was our highest graded offensive lineman! Say what?

Kid is incredible, and thank God we had him these last few years.

Two experienced transfers coming in -- Tyler having most recently played at Texas. Bleich finally eligible. Several guys who missed all of last year [Froumy, Red, etc.] back. We landed our top rated OL prospect [a LT] in a long time. It's possible that three guys who started last year might shift to the 2nd unit on the two-deep, depending on how spring practice and fall practice play out. What a difference.

Now, we need the majority of these guys to get healthy next year, so we can avoid a repeat performance of 2019 / 2020, where we couldn't even field a two-deep.
OL will be a strength

radically different level of play

Love your optimism

New coach though... hopefully at worse it is ACC average
In 2018 I knew we had a good OL after the Western Michigan game.
We had a bunch of 4th and 1s in that game and the OL was getting push when WMU knew we were running.
If we get push off the LOS it will be noticeable against Ohio.

We have struggled getting any push off the LOS these last 2 years. The 2019 Holy Cross game scared me how little we got.
In the ND game last year the OL was actually getting some push which was a good sign.

We had a bunch of 4th and 1s in that game and the OL was getting push when WMU knew we were running.

We have struggled getting any push off the LOS these last 2 years. The 2019 Holy Cross game scared me how little we got.
In the ND game last year the OL was actually getting some push which was a good sign.
Yeah, the OLine improved as 2019 ended, and then fell off a cliff again in 2020 with the same players.

Yeah, the OLine improved as 2019 ended, and then fell off a cliff again in 2020 with the same players.
For what ever reason the Oline looked better when TD was out. Not sure if Rex had a quicker release or welsh’s mobility. It just seemed different.

I think our best shot for that will come after every program finishes spring ball. Likely another portal wave.
Yeah I think that is exactly what I believe is Dino's strategy. Grab a guy or two he thinks will push to start.

Yeah, people really need to keep things in check here. Wasn't really recruited out of HS, then had 2 P5 offers out of JUCO in TX and WV, never played a down there and then had 0 P5 offers in the Portal besides us. Can't teach his size so I guess we'll see if Schmidt can work some magic because he appears to be a giant ball of clay.

I think that's fair.

The flipside is that he was recruited to Texas, so there's got to be some upside. I do think expecting immediate returns is probably semi-unrealistic -- but that as a guy with three years, I expect him to be a starter at some point in his career. And maybe this year, if he "improved" during his time at Texas.

I was there...the defense scared the bejesus out of me...also didn't TD make an inauspicious start?

The offense with Dungey was epic.

Alsacs...you need to get down for the FSU game...or make another this year. Sign up on the tailgate board...pls