Olbermann last night | Syracusefan.com

Olbermann last night

cuseattle

2022-23 Iggy Award Winner Hoops Leading RPG
Pablo Torre, who was guest hosting, opened up the show by lambasting Jim Boeheim for the comments the coach made last week regarding how lower first round draft picks fare in the NBA. Torre cited statistics disproving (greatly) the failure rate implied by JB. Torre went on to say it was a self serving statement because Ennis and Grant are projected at 14 and 21 respectively.
It was not fun to watch.

Last edited:
there are people on the planet who watch olberman??

willingly??

Who's Pablo Torre? Seriously.

Pablo torre mentioned Syracuse players' bust rate in the NBA... he talked about how those who went pro after 1 year in the system (Melo/MCW) seem to fair better than those who stay longer. Also mentioned Kris Joseph & CJ Fair staying and how that pretty much killed their NBA hopes.

It's bad press but who watches Oblermann anyways

Pablo torre mentioned Syracuse players' bust rate in the NBA... he talked about how those who went pro after 1 year in the system (Melo/MCW) seem to fair better than those who stay longer. Also mentioned Kris Joseph & CJ Fair staying and how that pretty much killed their NBA hopes.

Well MCW had two years in the system, not one. And Melo was destined to be an NBA star whether he had 1 year in the system or 4. Funny that he failed to mention guys like Etan Thomas, Jason Hart or Hakim Warrick. 4 year guys who played 8-10 years in the NBA. Guess the system was alright for them. They were never stars in the league, but most guys these days who stay 4 years never are gonna be stars in the NBA.

Because Fair and Joseph were super highly touted recruits who were without a doubt destined to be NBA stars... :rolleyes:

Guy sounds like, as Boeheim would put it, an idiot.

who doesn't have a high bust rate?

same teams in the lottery every year means they must not be getting much from their lottery picks

Well MCW had two years in the system, not one. And Melo was destined to be an NBA star whether he had 1 year in the system or 4. Funny that he failed to mention guys like Etan Thomas, Jason Hart or Hakim Warrick. 4 year guys who played 8-10 years in the NBA. Guess the system was alright for them. They were never stars in the league, but most guys these days who stay 4 years never are gonna be stars in the NBA.
He'd probably say Thomas, Hart and Warrick would have been NBA All-Stars if they had left Syracuse earlier. Don't agree? Well then prove him wrong!

Ummm, I wasn't being facetious asking "who's Pablo Torre", but I should've added..."and why should anyone care what he has to say"?
Sounds like another blowhard w/ an opinion...plenty of those around.

Who's Pablo Torre? Seriously.
apparently Jack Black is now doing talk show guest hosts in character.

kind of like SBC and Ali G.

im guessing last nights show mustve had a Piper's Pit vibe.

I think that like many others, JB is especially frustrated with the huge gap between being drafted in the first round, and being ready to play in the NBA. Outside of a few cases, there is almost no correlation between the two any more. So he hears "this guy should go in the top x...", as a coach he is thinking about how ready they are, where the analysts are focusing on the draft selection. I think that is what leads him to statements like that. He knows guys aren't ready to play will be drafted anyway. I also think that after working with the Olympic team, he sees first hand how big the gap really is. You combine that with the unpredictability of the draft, and guys getting in players ears telling how good they are and where they'll be drafted when they really don't know, the whole thing just frustrates him to no end. Just my opinion.

OttoinGrotto said:
I really need to get that dude's autograph.

When you so make sure you come back and let everybody know, you'll be more highly respected and you'll prove yourself to all of us here.

who doesn't have a high bust rate?
There's been a few studies about baseball drafts and that the probabilities of a prospect turning into a big-time player drop off precipitously after the top 5-10 picks and get exponentially worse the farther down one goes. In other words, if you're not the top 4 or 5 picks, you're probably not going to do much. I think the same holds true for basketball. Sure there will always be ones and twos that slip through the cracks for whatever reason, but best players are far more often than not taken in the very top of the draft.

I still think under the right circumstances and without the injury, Flynn would be an All-star. He had dynamite speed and quickness. After a year in an silly offense that didn't capitalize on his speed, the hip injury happened and he became a "bust".

JB has an annoying habit of ignoring, inventing or inflating stats to support his point. This one was pretty obvious to even a casual observer and made him an easy target for talking heads who love to chastise. While I haven't seen Olbermann other than in 20 second clips while channel surfing, the whole point seems to be to rain down righteous indignation on whoever KO deems the villain. I'm sure the 3 other people watching besides the OP were properly appalled and outraged. Maybe JB is just pissed about having his team gutted by the Association every Spring. I know I am.

"Maybe JB is just pissed about having his team gutted by the Association every Spring. I know I am."

Welcome to life as a perennial top 15 team. It's gonna happen, good players leave on a yearly basis.

Or Danny Schayes who played like 17 years in the league after 4 years at Cuse...realize that's going back quite a ways but it still counts. Also didn't Sherm Douglas also have like an 8-9 year career? Same for Seikaly, DC. Guess he left all those guys out.

His argument is a fallacy because you need to compare how well 3-and-done and 4-and-done players who played man-to-man in college faired in the NBA. I would imagine there would be no statistically significant difference.

If Boeheim said it and it's inaccurate then he deserves to get hit for it.

But...actually...his comments about KJ and CJ are positive for Boeheim and Syracuse.

They were not HUGE recruits coming in.
They're typical of the kinds of players Syracuse has recruited over the years...guys who stay four years and develop into excellent college players and who actually get drafted in the NBA.
In a lot of programs they might get buried.
Players like Bing and Melo and Pearl have been the exception at Syracuse.
Over the years, Boeheim has succeeded mostly with guys like Marty Byrnes and Danny Schayes and Raf Addison and David Johnson and CJ: guys who worked hard, played hard and actually got to the NBA.

Never heard of the guy. On a side note how does Olberman keep getting jobs? I have never seen someone with such little talent keep getting these type of jobs.

There's been a few studies about baseball drafts and that the probabilities of a prospect turning into a big-time player drop off precipitously after the top 5-10 picks and get exponentially worse the farther down one goes. In other words, if you're not the top 4 or 5 picks, you're probably not going to do much. I think the same holds true for basketball. Sure there will always be ones and twos that slip through the cracks for whatever reason, but best players are far more often than not taken in the very top of the draft.

I still think under the right circumstances and without the injury, Flynn would be an All-star. He had dynamite speed and quickness. After a year in an silly offense that didn't capitalize on his speed, the hip injury happened and he became a "bust".
agree. there is so much silliness out there about flynn.

he should've come back to school, and what, gotten taller and hurt his hip before getting paid?

everyone snoozes through the draft because we know that most of the time the picks don't work out but we're supposed to be upset when it happens to be wes johnson or jonny flynn?

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom