Old School Wrestling Fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Old School Wrestling Fans

So funny enough I've been a fan for probably 25+ years and had never been to anything other then a house show. So this was my first live taping and of any live taping to see, it was mania. But I would absolutely recommend it

That's crazy; quite a step up.

I was somewhat similar, I probably really started following wrestling 1997, but I didn't go to a show (Raw at Barclays) until 2013. It was awesome, so I've been to Summerslam/NXT the last 2 years when they've run Barclays. The rumble is in Philly next year, probably going to go to that and NXT as well.

Did you go to any other shows that weekend, or just mania?

That's crazy; quite a step up.

I was somewhat similar, I probably really started following wrestling 1997, but I didn't go to a show (Raw at Barclays) until 2013. It was awesome, so I've been to Summerslam/NXT the last 2 years when they've run Barclays. The rumble is in Philly next year, probably going to go to that and NXT as well.

Did you go to any other shows that weekend, or just mania?

I'm always bitter Syracuse hasn't gotten a raw taping since like 96 I keep hoping one happens sometime soon. I'm debating Summerslam this year since its in Brooklyn again, but I'm very jealous you were at those nxt/SS shows, they were good ones.

I went to ROH Supercard of Honor the night before mania this year. Got to meet the young bucks who are the nicest and most genuine guys. also funny enough saw the hardys in their last roh match before showing up at mania on sunday which was cool

I'm always bitter Syracuse hasn't gotten a raw taping since like 96 I keep hoping one happens sometime soon. I'm debating Summerslam this year since its in Brooklyn again, but I'm very jealous you were at those nxt/SS shows, they were good ones.

I went to ROH Supercard of Honor the night before mania this year. Got to meet the young bucks who are the nicest and most genuine guys. also funny enough saw the hardys in their last roh match before showing up at mania on sunday which was cool

The NXT show in 2015 was just awesome, probably the most fun I've ever had at a show. Sasha Banks/Bayley was probably one of the best matches I've seen live.

Also I'm a little biased, one of my friends grew up with one of the guys who was in NXT at the time, so I got to go to the post show party that night, which was so much fun.

Lot of great talent in the WWE right now. NXT has been great for the product, because fans can get invested in superstars so by the time they make it to RAW or smackdown they are well known and very over already.

I love this Nakamura guy. Don't know much about him, but he seems incredibly charismatic and his theme draws you in.

The NXT show in 2015 was just awesome, probably the most fun I've ever had at a show. Sasha Banks/Bayley was probably one of the best matches I've seen live.

Also I'm a little biased, one of my friends grew up with one of the guys who was in NXT at the time, so I got to go to the post show party that night, which was so much fun.
wow that's awesome, so I have to ask.. who was your friend in NXT?

i dont know why i didnt say it in the first place; friend of mine grew up with Enzo Amore.
ha! that's great. I can imagine he was entertaining at the after party

Lot of great talent in the WWE right now. NXT has been great for the product, because fans can get invested in superstars so by the time they make it to RAW or smackdown they are well known and very over already.

I love this Nakamura guy. Don't know much about him, but he seems incredibly charismatic and his theme draws you in.

Nakamura was the most charismatic wrestler in the world in New Japan. There's no way he should've been on the NXT roster for this long. He's about 37, not a young guy. I think that WWE wanted him more so that New Japan wouldn't have him. Kind of like Gallows and Anderson, except that Nakamura is a legit star. At least they did much better by AJ Styles. They've let a lot of money go down the drain by not putting Nakamura on the main roster previously.

Nakamura was the most charismatic wrestler in the world in New Japan. There's no way he should've been on the NXT roster for this long. He's about 37, not a young guy. I think that WWE wanted him more so that New Japan wouldn't have him. Kind of like Gallows and Anderson, except that Nakamura is a legit star. At least they did much better by AJ Styles. They've let a lot of money go down the drain by not putting Nakamura on the main roster previously.

You think we build towards styles vs naka at summer slam?

You think we build towards styles vs naka at summer slam?

There isn't another WWE matchup that would even come close to reaching the level of greatness that an AJ-Nakamura match would. Having said that, what sets New Japan apart from WWE is that there isn't a particular New Japan 'style' to which the wrestlers must conform. The reason why Okada is so great is that, unlike any WWE wrestler, he does matches in a variety of styles that plays up the strengths of his opponents.

I'd love to see the agents let them break free from the straitjacket WWE style for just this one match. Would be a match of the year contender.

There isn't another WWE matchup that would even come close to reaching the level of greatness that an AJ-Nakamura match would. Having said that, what sets New Japan apart from WWE is that there isn't a particular New Japan 'style' to which the wrestlers must conform. The reason why Okada is so great is that, unlike any WWE wrestler, he does matches in a variety of styles that plays up the strengths of his opponents.

I'd love to see the agents let them break free from the straitjacket WWE style for just this one match. Would be a match of the year contender.

I've watched this like ten times

anyone else bummed that the major event at the dome is Paul McCartney? No disrespect at all to Sir Paul, the dreamer in me wanted the announcement to be like Summerslam or Royal Rumble 2018

anyone else bummed that the major event at the dome is Paul McCartney? No disrespect at all to Sir Paul, the dreamer in me wanted the announcement to be like Summerslam or Royal Rumble 2018

They already have Barclays and Wachvoia booked for those events.

When was the last time they taped TV/PPV in Syracuse? Like 98? I know they had one of the early IYH PPV there.

They already have Barclays and Wachvoia booked for those events.

When was the last time they taped TV/PPV in Syracuse? Like 98? I know they had one of the early IYH PPV there.

Yup youre right, first ever IYH was from Syracuse. Since that they had the Raw taping in 98 and that was the last taping. Almost 20 years since a live taping its nuts

Yup youre right, first ever IYH was from Syracuse. Since that they had the Raw taping in 98 and that was the last taping. Almost 20 years since a live taping its nuts

That was either right before or after Mania 14, I've been watching that era on the network, finished that show a few weeks back.

(I think it was 2 nights after Mania, the more I think about it). Do they have an arena they could run RAW/SD at? Dome is too big.

The day of WWE TV events in Syracuse is over. They usually stick to newish arenas these days.

Yeah what Frozen said, outside of the Dome the only other venue is the War Memorial which at best for a live taping can hold 5k which is way lower then anywhere else they tape shows these days.

arena-feb8.jpg

The day of WWE TV events in Syracuse is over. They usually stick to newish arenas these days.

Makes sense. If I'm not mistaken, they've had Raw tapings in Albany in recent years haven't they?

A couple years ago I walked past the Big Show at Destiny USA. Was half paying attention and then did a huge double take. That guy is just enormous, TV doesn't fully do it justice.

Makes sense. If I'm not mistaken, they've had Raw tapings in Albany in recent years haven't they?

A couple years ago I walked past the Big Show at Destiny USA. Was half paying attention and then did a huge double take. That guy is just enormous, TV doesn't fully do it justice.

Funny enough I am pretty sure I know the day youre talking about that you saw the Big Show at the mall. I was there that day too and also did a double take. You don't understand 7'4 400+ pounds until theyre nearly right in front of you

Funny enough I am pretty sure I know the day youre talking about that you saw the Big Show at the mall. I was there that day too and also did a double take. You don't understand 7'4 400+ pounds until theyre nearly right in front of you

Its amazing how good he looks now too

I got to see Andre at the War Memorial when I was about 12 years old. We had ringside seats, right on the aisle where the wrestlers came from the dressing room. I'll never forget it. He was absolutely enormous. Got to give him a high 5 (low 5 for him). His hand was bigger than my head. And as you may well know, this ain't no small head. Even back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom