older cuse fans I got a question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

older cuse fans I got a question

Love Hall & Oates. There was a period there in the late 70's and 80" where they churned out hit after hit. One of my wife's favorite bands. They're one of those groups you'll never admit to liking...but secretly do.
The key phrase here is "One of my wife's favorite bands."

I understand completely.

I'm not going to just do the last ten years. YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME

Etan Thomas. Best shot blocker we've ever had. Just demoralized teams.

Rautins. Loved his game.

Arinze Onuaku. Criminally underused. We should have gotten him the ball more.

Todd Burgan. Quirky game. Killer jump stop in the lane.

Rak Christmas. Things really came together for that dude.

Malachi Richardson. Lots of creativity to his game.

I think in an alternate universe where Marek didn't have to play the 5 for us so much we'd look at him very differently.

Preston Shumpert was smooth.

66. First was Dennis Duval and the Lees. Then came Pearl, then Rony Seikaly. His progress was fun to watch.

A buddy and I get to claim a guy as "my guy" if they are a lower rated recruit either when they commit or during freshman year. Only allowed to have 1 or 2 at a time. Think the last few I had were Joseph, Southerland and Lydon so because of that they are the 3 I rooted for the most. Not sure if I'll try to claim someone from next year's class, kind of dig Carey a bit based on him dunking on 5'8 kids.

Any list from the "old timers" that doesn't include Pearl is probably wrong. It all starts and ends with him during the JB era.

75 year old father- "Dave Bing was the best player"
53 year old me- "Pearl Washington"
32 year old son- "Melo"

Thats how our 3 generations see it.

52 year old wife who "just" started watching in 1990 will say Moten for what that's worth.
Any list from the "old timers" that doesn't include Pearl is probably wrong. It all starts and ends with him during the JB era.

75 year old father- "Dave Bing was the best player"
53 year old me- "Pearl Washington"
32 year old son- "Melo"

Thats how our 3 generations see it.

52 year old wife who "just" started watching in 1990 will say Moten for what that's worth.
You are 100% correct. I have never seen a basketball player so dominant as Pearl was against the great Big East. Never saw Bing play. Carmelo was tremendous in his one year. Coleman and the General played on a different level. But, there was only Pearl and in my 40+ years of watching SU hoops, I have never seen anything like him. The greatest player i have ever seen put on that uniform, and my personal favorite. And a life taken way too soon.

I don't know how I feel about being called an "older" anything...

Most of the obvious names have been taken so I'll go with one not mentioned...Kristof Ongenat. His coast to coast dunk against Marquette (I think) was one of my all time faves. Fun player who brought toughness and energy into the game everytime he came in. Added bonus... started our tradition of Euro players who can't shoot, the one skill all Euro players seem to have.

The last ten years I have a special appreciation for players that stayed an extra year since so many leave early, and players where we could watch their development: Silent G, Christmas, Rautins, Rick for a start.
Could any of the guys you listed have a shot at the nba if they left early?

I'm not answering the question as it was asked, although I do a have a recent guy in the mix.

My alltime favorites are Dave Bing, Pearl, and John Wallace. Now, the next three true favorites are "favorites"...not anywhere near the "best", but guys I will always especially like.

Mike Hopkins because he always left it all on the floor. End of story. I heard him joke a few years back that at the end of every season nobody ever asked him if he was leaving early for the NBA, but he was a glue guy. Great off the court as well.

Griff (the coach) because he was a starter, lost his starting job the next year, kept a great attitude and then regained his job the year after that. These days a guy like that would be in the portal but he never complained, was a team-first guy, and did what was necessary to succeed.

As for the recent guy? Marek. Talk about a "team-first" guy. Skinny but tough as a pit bull on meth, he literally sacrificed his development to play where his coach thought he could best help the team. A former point guard before he grew, he had the best instincts on the team as a distributor. He was a 4 who could have developed the skills of a 3 but gave up his development at both to play the 5.

All time favorite? Greg Kohls, Dennis DuVal, Hak, Pearl, Derrick Coleman. Honorable mention: Stevie, Cliff Warwell, GMac

Last 10? Scoop, Baye, Jerami, Marek, Rak. Honorable mention: G.
Interesting names.

Kid Kohls...for my money the best shooter we have ever had. Warwell was a total loose cannon but entertaining. He was going to be the next Sweet D. In his first game he was bringing the ball up and without a defender within 15 feet of him he whipped a behind the back pass to his backcourt mate and BAM!, coach nearly had a stroke. Cliff's butt was on the bench and a lengthy lecture ensued about 2 millimeters from his face. It was pretty funny watching from my seat in Manley. He struggled at SU though and transferred out...to the Bonnies? Ithaca? can't recall but one of those, I think. Some years ago a poster mentioned running into him on the street in San Francisco.

Interesting names.

Kid Kohls...for my money the best shooter we have ever had. Warwell was a total loose cannon but entertaining. He was going to be the next Sweet D. In his first game he was bringing the ball up and without a defender within 15 feet of him he whipped a behind the back pass to his backcourt mate and BAM!, coach nearly had a stroke. Cliff's butt was on the bench and a lengthy lecture ensued about 2 millimeters from his face. It was pretty funny watching from my seat in Manley. He struggled at SU though and transferred out...to the Bonnies? Ithaca? can't recall but one of those, I think. Some years ago a poster mentioned running into him on the street in San Francisco.

I remember when Warwell came in here he said we were going to go to 4 final 4s.

Interesting names.

There was also Warwell's thing where after making free throws, kept is hand up/follow-through in place as he ran backwards all the way down to the defensive end. He was a show-off in a fun way (for everyone but the coaching staff).

Interesting names.

Cliff transferred first to NW Louisiana State and then to IC. Very entertaining player!

There was also Warwell's thing where after making free throws, kept is hand up/follow-through in place as he ran backwards all the way down to the defensive end. He was a show-off in a fun way (for everyone but the coaching staff).

LOL. So for those who rip our guards for their rebounding (because they feel the need to find something to rip), this is how it's done, my children. A guard rotates back on D after the shot.

With his hand and arm in the air...:)

Favorite players (in no order): Wes, Jonny Flynn, Senior AO, Senior Andy, Tyler Ennis, Sophomore Fab, Dion

Douglas
Pearl
Derek Coleman
Pace
Byrnes

not saying they were all the best...just my favorites

honorable mention: Andre Hawkins

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member