Ole Miss taking Florida State to the woodshed. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ole Miss taking Florida State to the woodshed.

That was some scary stuff, lol. Once the Noles decided to play, they passed up the clearly flailing Ole Miss team like nobody's business. The trip by Kelly from the Penthouse to the Outhouse was a completely direct route - straight down. That was the most remarkable 180 I may have ever seen.

omg, people not knowing what a fluffernutter is

Tom-Hanks-WTFWhat.gif

Brought some back to NC after our annual August trip to the homeland. You should have seen the looks on the friends of my teenager when my wife offered fluffanutter as an option for lunch the other day.

Francois looked terrific. Nice arm, mobility, and hung in there at times under duress in that 3Q to deliver some big throws when they got things going.

Francois looked terrific. Nice arm, mobility, and hung in there at times under duress in that 3Q to deliver some big throws when they got things going.
He's got some Teddy Bridgewater in him. Very impressive debut.

He's got some Teddy Bridgewater in him. Very impressive debut.
Francois was really really impressive. Tough. Able and willing to go through his progressions. Rocket arm. This might be an understatement.
And when he did run, he was as fast as Vick, but more straight ahead. Guy has it all.

That said, that was a perfect example why Jimbo is as good or better than any coach not named Saban. He is criminally underrated.

I dont think his speed came close to Vick nor in arm strength. Vick ran away from NFL guys.,

I dont think his speed came close to Vick nor in arm strength. Vick ran away from NFL guys.,
He's in the ballpark with the speed. Yes, Vick might be a touch faster.
But Francois' arm strength is noteworthy, esp. when he could step into his throws.
Lots of lasers out there last night.

Assuming you're talking about Francois, I agree.

But the guy we're facing Friday night? That looks like Vick speed to me.

Can't comment on Jackson's arm. All the highlights I've watched are of him running, and it's terrifying.

Yeah, I think Jackson is faster than Francois. Francois is already a better overall 'QB', imo. I was impressed how he played mostly from the pocket sometimes under heavy pressures while delivering some big throws.

I'm obviously far too picky, but I thought the ball-placement on Francois' throws generally left a lot to be desired. It worked because his WR's and TE's were just getting super wide open, but against good coverage, a ton of the passes he got away with against Ole Miss would be picked off. Definitely has all the tools though. But for example, on the drive where FSU took the lead, he had his TE open by about 10-15 yards and underthrew him so badly that the defender was able to easily catch up. He had a lot of passes like that.

I'm obviously far too picky, but I thought the ball-placement on Francois' throws generally left a lot to be desired. It worked because his WR's and TE's were just getting super wide open, but against good coverage, a ton of the passes he got away with against Ole Miss would be picked off. Definitely has all the tools though. But for example, on the drive where FSU took the lead, he had his TE open by about 10-15 yards and underthrew him so badly that the defender was able to easily catch up. He had a lot of passes like that.
He looked great in most respects, save one. A number of balls were batted down/tipped at the LOS. Looks like he may be a little short. Gonna be extremely tough containing him on the edges though - he's a blur.

He looked great in most respects, save one. A number of balls were batted down/tipped at the LOS. Looks like he may be a little short. Gonna be extremely tough containing him on the edges though - he's a blur.

For sure. His mobility and arm strength along with the talented ensemble he has around him will be hell to contain.

I thought he made good throws to the open guys in the 2nd half and looked lost much of the first half when guys were well covered often throwing to the wrong WR.

Same thing happened to Kelly in reverse. when they confused FSU he found the open guys. when plays were more rushed he made poor decisisions.

I don't know about picked off, he put the ball up a lot without coming close to getting intercepted, but your general point is correct I think. The ball Dalvin Cook dropped out of bounds was underthrown as well. From watching A Season With on Showtime, it seems like Fisher is really getting on him to trust himself. His "knock" out of high school was that he had a huge arm, but didn't put good touch on the ball. I wonder if working through that is leading to some of the underthrows, as he tries to place it. If it really is just a matter of him trusting himself to make the play, hopefully it can come around sooner than later.

It also might help if we had big physical receivers who could make a contested catch, and he could have more confidence zipping it at them. But it also might look better when he's not under constant assault.

I think his performance might be being slightly overrated, but overall I'm very pleased. It looks like we'll get good enough quarterback play to win a lot of games even with this schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom