Ollie given keys to UConn's diminishing kingdom | Syracusefan.com

Ollie given keys to UConn's diminishing kingdom

Good job on UConn's part, they weren't going to get better than Ollie. No decent, young D1 coach (namely Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart) with high potential would go there at this point.

MAC caliber program gives coach extension...BREAKING NEWS
Just shows you how much pressure Manuel was under to get this done. The academics were fine, so KO got the deal. 4 months ago WM wanted to do a national search at the end of the season for the replacement; except now UConn isn't in a conference, so the job almost has no appeal to anyone. Better believe if UConn found it's way to the ACC they wouldn't have given it Ollie this year, and still so unproven.

It also gives them the out they might have been looking for with Calhoun indicating he would like to coach again. I really don't think UConn would want to bring him back.

Good for Ollie. He's earned it so far. And it's not like they have the funds to pay someone huge dollars at this point. He's the best, cheapest route.

I also like Ollie and the fact they gave the job to a program guy.

New drinking game a UConn guy told me about:

Every time Ollie says the word "aint," everyone has to take a shot (includes pre-game, half-time and post-game interviews). Apparently, you can get wasted pretty fast.

Perhaps Ollie will sign up for the Newhouse summer program that Shaq took a few summers ago... Or maybe he aint got the time.

Ah...no.
So what changed between Dec.29th and Sept.1st? Academics were in order, but the jury is still out with his ability to coach, he hasn't coached a conference game but now all of a sudden Manuel is certain he is the answer? The MSU game was nice, but besides that one, nothing has jumped out; losses to New Mexico and NC State; close calls against Quinnipiac and Wake Forest. I think the realization hit that the UConn job is way less attractive than it was 4 months ago, and as of a now a national search would yield nothing too enticing. Ollie is the best bet at this point in time, so getting it done now makes sense to help with recruiting. But Manuel said that he wanted due diligence with a national search, and surely a 9-2 record (or whatever the record is) didn't 100% flip his script by New Year's. I just think the upside isn't that great right now with that program, what's the selling point? Now, if they were in the ACC, you'd have plenty to work with and could still bring top recruits and would have plenty of legitimate coaching options.

I'm a fan of Ollie, I think he's a great recruiter and a good fit for that program, however, if you think he was Manuel's sure fire #1 choice, I think that's a stretch.

This seems like a good time to mention that Kemba Walker graduated UCONN in three years having never read a book in his life.

So what changed between Dec.29th and Sept.1st? Academics were in order, but the jury is still out with his ability to coach, he hasn't coached a conference game but now all of a sudden Manuel is certain he is the answer? The MSU game was nice, but besides that one, nothing has jumped out; losses to New Mexico and NC State; close calls against Quinnipiac and Wake Forest. I think the realization hit that the UConn job is way less attractive than it was 4 months ago, and as of a now a national search would yield nothing too enticing. Ollie is the best bet at this point in time, so getting it done now makes sense to help with recruiting. But Manuel said that he wanted due diligence with a national search, and surely a 9-2 record (or whatever the record is) didn't 100% flip his script by New Year's. I just think the upside isn't that great right now with that program, what's the selling point? Now, if they were in the ACC, you'd have plenty to work with and could still bring top recruits and would have plenty of legitimate coaching options.

I'm a fan of Ollie, I think he's a great recruiter and a good fit for that program, however, if you think he was Manuel's sure fire #1 choice, I think that's a stretch.

So you're just assuming this wasn't being negociated for several weeks, including before the C7 fallout? Based on?

They wanted to make sure the grades were in order. That's what it was. That's all it was. Given the recent history, they were completely in the right to do so.

The selling point is it's one of the few programs to win three national championships, and about to build the best practice facility in the country. Not regularly playing Providence and Notre Dame has little impact on a national program.

This seems like a good time to mention that Kemba Walker graduated UCONN in three years having never read a book in his life.

Patently false, and you know that. Cmon.

New drinking game a UConn guy told me about:

Every time Ollie says the word "aint," everyone has to take a shot (includes pre-game, half-time and post-game interviews). Apparently, you can get wasted pretty fast.

Yeah, public speaking is not a strong suit.

Objective question: have you seen the plans?

I have seen the Melo Center. It's incredible. But this is better.
gonna come in handy in the patriot league, huh?

Patently false, and you know that. Cmon.

“That’s true,” Walker told SI. “You can write that. It is the first book I’ve ever read.”

Sorry, one book. He finished college in three years having read one book.

One thing I credit Syracuse fans for is our ability to see flaws in our players and coaches. I think everyone here recognizes that MCW did something wrong, for example. But if the same thing happened to one of your players, bots like yourself would be falling over each other spinning florid tales of vast NCAA conspiracies.

In short, thank you for interest in Syracuse.

So you're just assuming this wasn't being negociated for several weeks, including before the C7 fallout? Based on?

They wanted to make sure the grades were in order. That's what it was. That's all it was. Given the recent history, they were completely in the right to do so.

The selling point is it's one of the few programs to win three national championships, and about to build the best practice facility in the country. Not regularly playing Providence and Notre Dame has little impact on a national program.
Yes, not regularly playing ND and Providence have little impact; but not playing Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and not being on ESPN and CBS 12 times a year will have an impact. If you want to argue that playing SMU has the same impact on a program as playing Duke does, be my guest.

Do you think the kids care about those titles? I have a hard time believing that a recruit looking at UConn cares that when he was 7 they won a national championship with a different coach. They care about being on TV, playing the best competition, playing a style that suits them, and getting to the NBA (which admittedly, Ollie will use in his recruiting pitches).

Marquette and LSU have top 10 recruiting classes for 2013, it's because of all those National Titles they won, right?

I thought it was well known that Manuel wanted to do a national search, I think conference realignment very much had to do with the timing of this contract.

“That’s true,” Walker told SI. “You can write that. It is the first book I’ve ever read.”

Sorry, one book. He finished college in three years having read one book.

He later clarified the comment. Which was widely reported. He hadn't read a leisure book start to finish in his life. Not hadn't read any book ever. You ever been to the area he grew up in? Libraries and English lit aren't really priorities. Getting food and hot water take precedent.

One thing I credit Syracuse fans for is our ability to see flaws in our players and coaches. I think everyone here recognizes that MCW did something wrong, for example. But if the same thing happened to one of your players, bots like yourself would be falling over each other spinning florid tales of vast NCAA conspiracies.

Oh, really? That's why everyone on here harps on what an awful person Doug Gottlieb is and refuses to ackgnowledge any of the criticisms he made, resorting to just credit card jokes?

I think Jim Calhoun holding the program hostage with his retirement was a disgrace. There's a long trail of me saying that.

If you think ALL Syracuse fans are or aren't polyanna and ALL UConn fans are or aren't polyanna, then you're being way too critical both ways. Fans are fans.

Remember when Calhoun payed 22 thousand dollars to Rudy Gays AAU coach? That was awesome.

Remember when Calhoun payed 22 thousand dollars to Rudy Gays AAU coach? That was awesome.

Whee! Let's just make things up!

Remember when Laurie Fine did the whole team?
Remember the landmark sanctions ruling from 1992?
Remember when the 2002 team was literally fighting each other?

See how easy this is? They're both great programs that have had mistakes off the court. Doesn't make SU or UConn fans bad people. This dumb crap on BOTH boards of just sniping aimlessly from a mount is amazing to me.

Marquette and LSU have top 10 recruiting classes for 2013, it's because of all those National Titles they won, right?

I want to make sure we're clear: your position is that Kevin Ollie cannot get a top class because of the conference situation? Really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom