Olympics inequities | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Olympics inequities

Ping Pong is pretty cool to play. Don't need the big room our be outside like Tennis.

lots of running and swimming maybe we need more throwing events like corn hole.

Handball is a little wacky with the rules but its big in some countries.

you get billions playing games and some will make more sense than others

I new sport involving a floating ping pong table in a pool where players play ping pong while swimming would be neat to watch.

Corn hole and tiddly winks for 2028

The US has NEVER won a gold medal in Men's WP.

And WP was never an official Pac-12 sport. All the west coast teams played in the MPSF.

Yes, only 26 D1 colleges even offer mens water polo scholarships (maximum ncaa limit is 4.5 scholarships/team). 16 of those 26 D1 colleges are in California. Not a highly supported sport.

Yes, only 26 D1 colleges even offer mens water polo scholarships (maximum ncaa limit is 4.5 scholarships/team). 16 of those 26 D1 colleges are in California. Not a highly supported sport.

I’ve never met anyone in my life that played competitive water polo.I guess I might have but nobody has ever shared that with me.

Personally I'd like to see the Olympics eliminate:
- all events that requires judging
- all team sports
- all events which the primary requirement for success is not dependent on physical athletic ability or endurance
- all events that have mechanical devices. (bikes for instance, we already have running)
- all events with a ball (exception for shotput)
I feel like the Olympics no longer properly celebrates the basics pursuit of human athletic excellence. I don't even know who the fastest man or woman on the planet is anymore. Too much pomp for a ton of stuff that has plenty of pomp all year round every year.

- all team sports
- all events which the primary requirement for success is not dependent on physical athletic ability or endurance
- all events that have mechanical devices. (bikes for instance, we already have running)
I feel like the Olympics no longer properly celebrates the basics pursuit of human athletic excellence. I don't even know who the fastest man or woman on the planet is anymore. Too much pomp for a ton of stuff that has plenty of pomp all year round every year.
I'm fine with that. Eliminate the "games" and leave the pure sports...Track & Field, Swimming, combat (wrestling, boxing, etc.) and weightlifting.

I watch plenty of games (baseball, basketball, football, hockey, golf, lacrosse) already. I don't need Olympics for that.

I see your 3 on 3 basketball and up you with breakdancing.
Breakdancing is definitely not my personal cup of tea, but at least we know those are the best breakdancers in the world. With 3 on 3 basketball it feels like they had to seek out people who weren't too busy to do it and Jimmer Fredette and Canyon Barry showed up and said “our calendars are free for this if you want us!”

Unclear how this thread is about Syracuse basketball.
Put the thread on ignore. Or don't click on it.
1723468168482.gif

Combine weightlifting and tractor pulling.

Hook the athlete up to a weighted sled and see how far he can pull it.

I’ve never met anyone in my life that played competitive water polo.I guess I might have but nobody has ever shared that with me.
A guy on my staff at USGS in Michigan played water polo at Michigan State.

If what Simone Biles does isn't the pinnacle of human athletic performance, I personally don't know what is.

Human judging is always faulty and corrupted. Gymnasts are impressive but its athletics combined with artistry and thus judging. I'm just not sold on the place for these things being the Olympics. Tennis players are impressive, and skateboarders, and golfers and team sports are great when the team is clicking. Again I'd prefer none of that was part if the Olympics.

I will admit that my opinion on this subject is likely extreme and in the minority. I'm ok with it and its not an important topic anyways.

I knew guys in college who played in HS, but they came from Prep schools that had swimming/rowing teams as well.

The MAAC conference offers women's water polo, so schools like Siena, Marisa and Iona field teams. However, I think a lot of their players come from the west coast and foreign countries like South Africa and Australia.

Last edited:
Lawsuits probably hurt diving the most in the US
My daughter's HS is in div 4A(in NC 4A is currently the division for large HSs). There are 6 of these HSs in our area and only 1 has a diving team. With the exception of the university none of the pools in the area have a springboard. I think the one school with the diving team practices at the univ.

I really think they should bring back the Olympic Art competitions.

- all team sports
Your Olympics doesn't sound fun at all.