On An Island Again...... | Syracusefan.com

On An Island Again......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well, it took me all of three games to to say that Greg wasn't going to get it done. I believe I was the first poster to take that position. It was the very first Cuse game I got to see with Greg as Coach. I believe it was the third game overall that he coached. We were getting blasted. I posted that I did not like the sloppiness and the quit in the kids. I did not like Greg on the sidelines hanging his head instead of encouraging the kids. I knew he would be a loser.

Well, now it is the opposite withDoug. I am about the only one standing up for Doug today. I like the progression that the team has made overall despite a lack of talent. The talent is being gradually upgraded. Yeah, I, too disliked the last five games. The kids were very sloppy today, but they did not quit. They had a chance to win right up until that last pick six despite starting off in a huge hole.

Is Doug a super-winner, a great coach in the making ? I do not know the answer to that question. Most likely not, but then again few are.

However, I do believe that he is a solid competant coach who will continue to gradually improve the program over time. In the end, our program probably has a ceiling. I can't see us being at the level of the LSU's and Oklahoma's of this world on a year in year out basis. If our ceiling is just to be a "fringe" Top 25 program most years then I can see Doug getting us there. He is a young coach, and I believe that he will learn from the regression of the last five games and get us back on a slow steady track.

I think it will take a little bit more time, maybe two more years, but I predict Doug will get it done.

I'll go out on that limb with you. I was thinking the same thing as I was driving home from watching the game about them not quitting.

I don't think we will be LSU but I do think the ceiling is higher that what you say or can be. I hope your right that Doug can get this done.

I am not sure what I think of Doug right now, but I do know this. Everyone who is squabbling about certain coaches, certain players, or certain plays is really missing out on the big picture. Doug had changed the culture of this team... and unfortunately, something happened and it changed back. All of those other debates are just that, debates. What really will decide Doug's future is how he bounces back from this. What does he learn, what does he change, and what does he preach? Seven games into the year we were still improving this thing at a rate that I would have thought was impossible three years ago, without cheating that is. This really isn't that difficult. If the detachment within the program continues, Marrone will be done sooner rather than later. If he can squash it, by the end of next year we will be back on schedule. Was this horrible slump an anomaly? If so, all the other complaints carry less weight.

what happened is, all the senior leaders graduated last year ... there are no leaders in this years sr class

when Ryan Nassib is proclaiming Michael Hay as a leader - then you are

Well, it took me all of three games to to say that Greg wasn't going to get it done. I believe I was the first poster to take that position. It was the very first Cuse game I got to see with Greg as Coach. I believe it was the third game overall that he coached. We were getting blasted. I posted that I did not like the sloppiness and the quit in the kids. I did not like Greg on the sidelines hanging his head instead of encouraging the kids. I knew he would be a loser.

Well, now it is the opposite withDoug. I am about the only one standing up for Doug today. I like the progression that the team has made overall despite a lack of talent. The talent is being gradually upgraded. Yeah, I, too disliked the last five games. The kids were very sloppy today, but they did not quit. They had a chance to win right up until that last pick six despite starting off in a huge hole.

Is Doug a super-winner, a great coach in the making ? I do not know the answer to that question. Most likely not, but then again few are.

However, I do believe that he is a solid competant coach who will continue to gradually improve the program over time. In the end, our program probably has a ceiling. I can't see us being at the level of the LSU's and Oklahoma's of this world on a year in year out basis. If our ceiling is just to be a "fringe" Top 25 program most years then I can see Doug getting us there. He is a young coach, and I believe that he will learn from the regression of the last five games and get us back on a slow steady track.

I think it will take a little bit more time, maybe two more years, but I predict Doug will get it done.

I think I would agree with you, remember last years wins included 2 1AA wins, and we definitely snuck up on couple teams. I think the lack of leadership (loosing Carter, Hogue & Smith) hurt when it got tough. I said last year his success would haunt him with some fans that read more into where we were than we were. SU has never really been a destination school, more of a development school, it will take time to get who we need in here, it will be gradual, but it seems the recruits are getting faster. I believe that we can get back to a regular top 25 team, with an occasional great season, but that is s few years away, for now I hope for getting consecutive winning seasons and bowl games. That needs to be our first step IMHO

Well said. I'm glad there are more out there like me who aren't being over-reactionary after a bad season. I'm still on board, 100%. I will kind of qualify this by saying that I'm only all-in assuming we don't see mass defections as suggested by the likes of orangeauburn, etc. If I start seeing mass defections of the Keon lyns and Dyshawn Davis', then there are obviously deeper issues. There is no question HCDM lost the team and leadership seemed to be a major issue. Let's see how 2012 goes. I'm certainly glad 2011 is over. That WVU game seems like last year at this point

For a coach whose supposed best trait is instilling discipline in his team we have looked extremely undisciplined this season. The constant penalties, late hit personal fouls, sloppiness in route running & OL play, and lack of effort on special teams has me wondering at what point this season Doug lost the team. I'm guessing either the 'Ville or Uconn game.

This forum becomes more and more like the Chargers forum every day - just replace Norv with Doug and there you go. Although I think we finally reached the point where 90%+ are anti-Norv over there. Not there yet here - on our way though!

there is a disconnect between srs and younger players ... and it is the suppossed leaders on this team (sr class) that showed no leadership during the times it was needed ... when Ryan Nassib is proclaiming Michael Hay as a leader - you are in trouble. The kid plays hard and cares -- but he is a dumb football player who makes bone headed plays ... you do not need that from your leaders.

I think Ryan does not have the confidence of his teammates -- especially the underclassmen, and many D players

For a coach whose supposed best trait is instilling discipline in his team we have looked extremely undisciplined this season. The constant penalties, late hit personal fouls, sloppiness in route running & OL play, and lack of effort on special teams has me wondering at what point this season Doug lost the team. I'm guessing either the 'Ville or Uconn game.
and it comes from about 4 or 5 players -- constantly. I wish HCDM would just send a message and pull them when they continually do stupid things.

I have faith that HCDM can do the job -- but next year is going to be a telling year, lets see how this offseason plays out.

Well, now it is the opposite withDoug. I am about the only one standing up for Doug today. I like the progression that the team has made overall despite a lack of talent. The talent is being gradually upgraded.
I am with you, have been all season. I watched some of the UCLA-Oregon game last night and the MAC championship, and it really struck me today that we are running MAC guys on offense pretty much. The talent is so far below major BCS league level that it isn't funny. It's a combination of guys being too young or having reached their ceilings. So all we have to do is recruit better guys, right? Easy. I laugh when people think all we have to do is change coaches and the blue-chips will start falling right into our laps. What a lovely fantasy. It has to get better, and it will, but we need to spend a lot more $ before any coach is going to succeed at SU.

Greg's third game wa s 24-27 loss to a then nationally ranked Virginia team. it was really quite encouraging. They then went on the road to Florida State and Connecticut.

I liked Doug's post game comments that no one has a starting position locked up for next season, we need to become more mobile, and he needs to install some spread into the offensive game plan indicates to me that Terrell Hunt will get somes snaps at QB.

Doug made it known at the luncheon that he needs to win or he won't be around to see this team join the ACC. He also said that he has four players in the Class of 2012 that will make an immediate impact next season. He did not name names but here is my prediction:
  • One of the kids coming in "is faster than Kobena" so I assume Marrone has found a WR with a chance to pick-up yards after the catch. Lemon has been a great possession receiver but can someone tell me when one of our WR's picked-up 10+ yards after the catch?
  • I assume the second impact player is at RB (Perkins or Morris).
  • My bet is the third impact player is Thompson at TE.
  • I don't have a clue who the 4th player is but I assume it s a dominate DE from JUCO since there were references made to some players coming in January and the fact that were looking at one DE out of the JUCO ranks. Having a dominant DE opposite of Chandler next season would be huge next year.
  • Expect to see our kickoffs improve greatly next season since we will have a kicker that can put the ball into the end zone with hang time of 4.5 seconds.
  • The offensive line will be greatly improved with Trudo, Alexander, Hickey, etc. Marrone made reference to the fact that next years OL will be as good as the one's that he had at Georgia Tech (which were among the best in the ACC).

Doug made it known at the luncheon that he needs to win or he won't be around to see this team join the ACC.

Did he say Gross or Cantor had told him this? Or was it just a general comment that he knows football coaches have to win ande that we nee to step up to be competitive in the ACC? In other words is he under some kind of ultimatum?

No. Just that he has been in this business long enough to know that if he does not win he won't be the head coach by the time we enter the ACC.

I had a really bad feeling before GRob even coached one game. When I heard him talk in the introduction presser I thought he sounded dumb as rocks.

I had a good feeling when Marrone was introduced, but I'm starting to lose faith. I do feel like our situation is different (private school, not the best location), so he gets at least 5 years from me.

We are in year 3 of a total rebuild from the ground up. There are going to be bumps along the way. Gotta have a little faith in HC. Yea the 5 game swoon was ugly, but I think we'll be making solid improvements in the next 2 years.

We were supposed to have this year, last year. And last year, this year. It sucks. But let's see what happens next season. It's THE defining year in Marrone's tenure and our resurgence.

It's a make or break season.

That said, yes, there are many relevant critiques. I have faith in Marrone. But I do find his lack of passion during games concerning. Project some fire. It's all perception but the whole "even keel" thing isn't inspiring anyone.

Grob looked like a boob. Marrone really is a zombie. Interject some passion. The only time he's ever shown emotion was to tell Edsall to F off. Even then it was dry. If he's going to be so emotionless, he better be way more tactical.

Get more out of less talent by inspiring them to be great. He's dry white toast.

One of the kids coming in "is faster than Kobena" so I assume Marrone has found a WR with a chance to pick-up yards after the catch.
I wonder who this could be? It doesn't sound like Cornelius or Lewis.

Could it be Wayne Morgan? He supposedly has great speed (4.4 - 40, 10.8 - 100M). Maybe DM's looking at him as a WR instead of at DB. He's 5'11 which is adequate height for a D1 wideout, especially a burner. Hope he can catch; definitely need a speedster w/ reliable hands in the WR corps.

Be interesting to find out who this player is.

If Doug makes it great if not who cares. We are going to the ACC the admin is committed to big time football. With our tradition, the ACC, new facilaties we have become a very good coaching job. Doug will either win or he will be fired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom