on howard | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

on howard

Why did it have to be noted that it was a 'white dude' on ND that hustled his butt off? Just curious.

Yeah. He should've said; slow, white dude. That would've been better. ;):)

Agreed. You can't pin this on Frank, even though he didn't play particularly well. Bottom line is: This is who they are. Offensively challenged, very young, and not deep. Unfortunately, those traits likely won't translate into a lot of W's in the ACC.
I'm tired of hearing the young excuse. Kentucky is young every season and always in the tournament

It's as if you can't make mention of a guy not hustling on a critical play because other guys missed a lot of shots.

Not sure if that's before or after the section about not mentioning refs in the bylaws because there are players to blame. I'll have to re-read them.

Without Frank this year, it's a "not 10 GD wins" type year. But that doesn't excuse allowing an easy putback like that. And I'm sure Boeheim has let him know that.
I doubt JB said anything to him.

Not going to read six pages and I understand the argument that we wouldn’t have won 10 games without Frank.

But at the end of the day, he’s not a winning basketball player. Period. I could give you numerous examples.

Some guys are winning players who know how to play and what to do when the going gets tough. Others don’t.

That doesn’t mean that in some games, they don’t do well in those situations. But in the long run, you’re not winning big games with them as key players.

Not going to read six pages and I understand the argument that we wouldn’t have won 10 games without Frank.

But at the end of the day, he’s not a winning basketball player. Period. I could give you numerous examples.

Some guys are winning players who know how to play and what to do when the going gets tough. Others don’t.

That doesn’t mean that in some games, they don’t do well in those situations. But in the long run, you’re not winning big games with them as key players.

Go for it

I agree with all of this. I cringed after JB pulled HW today after one bad pass. Just let the kid play through mistakes for the love of God.
It's one thing to throw a bad pass. It's something altogether different when your bad pass starts the other teams fast break.

I think he had one like this last game as well. I was bummed for him. I want this kid to succeed.

This game is on the staff. Kids were flat, Jims substitutions were weak. Euro was off horribly today. Sid seemed solid and should have been in earlier. Not Jims best effort.
I agree about the sub pattern.

Not that I was ever a fan, but I'm done with PC. He's way too freakin' weak to be effective. And Sid is about the size of PC's thigh. Give me a beefy center who can rebound and score all day everyday.
I have not read much today and probably won't. I completely agree with your post the only problem is the "beefy" center doesn't fit the defense we refuse to change. Ditto for smaller guards who can penetrate or shoot consistently. Right or wrong (my personal opinion is it is wrong) we recruit players to fit a certain type of play that is no longer a viable way to compete on a consistent basis. I get the final four run w/Lydon, Richardson etc. Kind of a perfect storm that went in our favor. Otherwise we have been really rather disappointing program for the past 5 - 6 years. The game has changed with the 3 point shot. We are an average mid major program of late (maybe it will change next year) and we will see if that changes. Please don't tell me our defense was good today because we only gave up 51 points, ND would have torched us with Farrell & Colson. Much of the low scoring has to do with pace of play. JB used to say this about Princeton years ago.

I completely agree with your post the only problem is the "beefy" center doesn't fit the defense we refuse to change.
Arinze says hello.

smb-100324-dn-arinzeonuakujpg-3cb48baf31df0ca6.jpg

I can’t believe the board blames Frank for every loss. It’s comical at this point.

Awful final play, but not on him. This board is getting ridiculous though.

Frank is amazing, Battle is amazing, and Brissett is amazing. Marek is the token lovable white guy, Moyer plays the violin and is smart, PC is putting up Fab Melo numbers.

If everything is so true about how great every one of these guys is which I hear over and over and over and over for the past 5 months, why are we not dominating, let alone being awful.

Realistically Battle is a hell of a player, Franks done well and everybody else wouldn't play more than 5-10 minutes a game any normal year.

I don't know why everybody is so in love with this team compared to last season, I liked seeing us put the ball in the basket and having a chance in most games. This team can't score, can't pass, can't rebound, and filled with guys that are average at best ACC players.

Frank is amazing, Battle is amazing, and Brissett is amazing. Marek is the token lovable white guy, Moyer plays the violin and is smart, PC is putting up Fab Melo numbers.

If everything is so true about how great every one of these guys is which I hear over and over and over and over for the past 5 months, why are we not dominating, let alone being awful.

Realistically Battle is a hell of a player, Franks done well and everybody else wouldn't play more than 5-10 minutes a game any normal year.

I don't know why everybody is so in love with this team compared to last season, I liked seeing us put the ball in the basket and having a chance in most games. This team can't score, can't pass, can't rebound, and filled with guys that are average at best ACC players.

Add Frank to that 5-10 minute talk in a normal year, too.

Good post.

Eh, I'm guessing Frank was playing for the "if it goes in, I'm the quick outlet...if it misses, game over." Stupid, but whatever. Not sure what Markek was doing. Either way, gotta hustle.

That being said, agree with everything above. Half the time Frank seems to be telling people they're in the wrong spot, but otherwise is the most consistent piece we got. Battle seems to pick and choose when he wants to be aggressive. Brissett is an okay complimentary piece, but seems to struggle making shots. Marek is fun enough as he can jump, and he's a Euro. Moyer is close to resembling a basketball player. That's not a good thing. PC is MILES beyond where I figured he would be, but still is lacking. A healthy Sidibe could help a bit. Not much to work with - just gotta play good D, and hope that Brissett can be somewhat consistent, and Battle can elevate his game a bit (especially in first halves where he often seems awful in the games I've watched).

Brissett shot 0-8 from inside the arc. 5-16 against WF. So 8-31 over his last 2 games. Terrible.
Chukwu is one of the softest centers to play for SU. 29 minutes played today with 1 shot and 4 rebounds. Terrible.
Dolejaz was pretty much invisible today and against WF and Moyer, for whatever reason, was limited to 8 minutes. Both terrible.
Howard had some absolutely horrible turnovers, as usual, and did nothing down the stretch. I will say that his 3-point shooting has been impressive lately.
Battle is the only SU player who had a good game in my opinion.

The big difference between last year's SU team and this year's SU team is that last year's team underachieved and this year's team has overachieved. I agree that man-for-man, last year's team was better. But this year's team could be 15-1. The losses to St. Bonaventure, Wake, and Notre Dame all came down to the final minute with SU, possibly due to fatigue, losing close games. Last year's team had much uglier losses. It's hard to win with 7 players, one of whom is limited in playing time (Sidibe).

It's on the entire team.

This is one of the most embarrassing losses we've ever had.
The loss is in the entire team, but the game-losing mistake on final play should be blamed on Marek and Howard’s lack of hustle (and Tyus for his turnover and not taking it all the way to the hoop). They both jogged up the floor on the last play of the game! W t f! That has nothing to do with fatigue. Rex sprinted. And no one asked JB about it in the presser.

Last edited:
No it’s on Marek and Howard. Both of them jogged up the floor on the last play of the game! W t !And no one asked JB about it in the presser.

He would've probably said they were in that position to prepare for offense. If it was Roberson who did it, he would have had a public stoning at the Melo center following the presser.

This game is on the staff. Kids were flat, Jims substitutions were weak. Euro was off horribly today. Sid seemed solid and should have been in earlier. Not Jims best effort.
Must be the bloodletting worked this time, huh?

wow. Don’t get back in tie game and ND player who started 5 feet further from basket gets the winning layup. Really just incredible.
Frank is gonna Frank.

He would've probably said they were in that position to prepare for offense. If it was Roberson who did it, he would have had a public stoning at the Melo center following the presser.
I’m over blaming the players let alone obsessing over one play. The stink is so bad it goes all the way up to the top.

FH is the new Trevor Cooney gets blamed for every loss. Every mistake is magnified because the board doesn't like him or the way he handled himself on and off the court the last couple of seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom