One and Done needs to be abolished | Syracusefan.com

One and Done needs to be abolished

GardenOrange

Scout Team
College Basketball is really suffering with the one and done kids leaving scarred earth behind them. Many get some money but no career.

I think a system much like baseball should be instituted. Kids are eligible for the NBA Draft right out of high school if they wish to go.
A kid who goes to college must stay there until they are 21 or complete their Junior year.
I think this would add much needed stability to the college game while still affording those who can hang a direct route to the NBA.
It will also make the NBA game better with more mature, ready players coming from the college ranks.

Thoughts?

I like using the baseball model, if you good enough to play right out of hs, you can go in the draft, if not you have to stay in school 3 years.

Or you can just let kids declare when ever they want. That way they would have the same opportunity to enter the workforce whenever they please, you know like every other American.

You mean just like the nfl.

• The point guard position can't be turned over every year if you want to win a championship. Beohiem needs to get lower recruited high IQ guys at PG.

College Basketball is really suffering with the one and done kids leaving scarred earth behind them. Many get some money but no career.

I think a system much like baseball should be instituted. Kids are eligible for the NBA Draft right out of high school if they wish to go.
A kid who goes to college must stay there until they are 21 or complete their Junior year.
I think this would add much needed stability to the college game while still affording those who can hang a direct route to the NBA.
It will also make the NBA game better with more mature, ready players coming from the college ranks.

Thoughts?
Why? Other than the enjoyment of college fans and boosters, why should an athlete not have the same rights that EVERY OTHER COLLEGE KID has: leave school and go to work. Why not worry about hockey players getting drafted at 16, tennis players, golfers and baseball players leaving high school. Actors and musicians being tutored and not even going to high school. Why should the (predominantly) black athlete be required to go to, or remain in, college to pursue a career that has nothing to do with a college degree?
If you don't make want to require welders, computer geeks, garbage men, auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. go to college, why make athletes. Only because you want cheap labor to entertain you.

Why does the NBA have to watch out for college basketball? There shouldn't be any age restrictions. If they're ready or stupidly think they're ready they should be allowed to go.

I like using the baseball model, if you good enough to play right out of hs, you can go in the draft, if not you have to stay in school 3 years.
Not really. There are ways around that

Why? Other than the enjoyment of college fans and boosters, why should an athlete not have the same rights that EVERY OTHER COLLEGE KID has: leave school and go to work. Why not worry about hockey players getting drafted at 16, tennis players, golfers and baseball players leaving high school. Actors and musicians being tutored and not even going to high school. Why should the (predominantly) black athlete be required to go to, or remain in, college to pursue a career that has nothing to do with a college degree?
If you don't make want to require welders, computer geeks, garbage men, auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. go to college, why make athletes. Only because you want cheap labor to entertain you.

Most kids don't go to college to become plumbers or Garbage men. They go to college to get jobs at companies that require you to have your bachelor degree at the very min.

Why does the NBA have to watch out for college basketball? There shouldn't be any age restrictions. If they're ready or stupidly think they're ready they should be allowed to go.

The NBA has a vested interest in having a popular college game that provides them with a steady stream of talented players, who in a lot of cases already have a following before reaching the NBA. That's why they went to the one and done in the first place and why they're trying to make it 2 years.

Capt. Tuttle said:
Why? Other than the enjoyment of college fans and boosters, why should an athlete not have the same rights that EVERY OTHER COLLEGE KID has: leave school and go to work. Why not worry about hockey players getting drafted at 16, tennis players, golfers and baseball players leaving high school. Actors and musicians being tutored and not even going to high school. Why should the (predominantly) black athlete be required to go to, or remain in, college to pursue a career that has nothing to do with a college degree? If you don't make want to require welders, computer geeks, garbage men, auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. go to college, why make athletes. Only because you want cheap labor to entertain you.

All good points.

But without fans and boosters, there is no college basketball. Certainly not of this magnitude.

How long does an NBA career last? You know there is a life after the NBA and a degree will help you get a job

This. If they can do a job (or think they can), they should be able to go as an adult and not be forced to go to school for any period of time.

Open it up in the other direction ... let players who havent finished their degree come back and play til they have 4/5 years of school .. regardless of having been pro

It's the NBA Union who is messing everything up. The NBA realizes the early entries are hurting the product, but they can't get it through collective bargaining. MLB rule would be perfect and would improve both the college and pro game. Good news is it looks like this is a priority for the new Commish so hopefully we see some changes relatively soon. Just think how great the college game could be. Something needs to be done though because cbb is getting to the point where you can't watch it.

Well...Yeah

Thoughts?
The unionization thing may make this a moot point. Table this and check back in 10 yrs.
Seriously I think College Athletics as we know it will change dramatically in the next 50 years.
Unionization/Pay for Play, Safety, Security/Fan Behaviour all loom as "change-agents".

Or you can just let kids declare when ever they want. That way they would have the same opportunity to enter the workforce whenever they please, you know like every other American.

This argument is ridiculous. Comparing going into a multimillion dollar job that requires you to be in the public spotlight on a daily basis versus going into a construction job after high school is like comparing Apples to Supernovas. And there are TONS of jobs that REQUIRE you have a college degree, or beyond. There's not a single high school kid in this country, no matter how smart, who is going to go straight from high school to being a high profile lawyer or doctor. Not all jobs are the same. People who make this argument are basically comparing playing in the NBA with getting a $40,000/year manual labor or service job.

That said, I do support giving the players the ability to declare out of high school if they are good enough, I just think this 'opportunity to enter the workforce' argument, equating all jobs as being equal is absurd.

This argument is ridiculous. Comparing going into a multimillion dollar job that requires you to be in the public spotlight on a daily basis versus going into a construction job after high school is like comparing Apples to Supernovas. And there are TONS of jobs that REQUIRE you have a college degree, or beyond. There's not a single high school kid in this country, no matter how smart, who is going to go straight from high school to being a high profile lawyer or doctor. Not all jobs are the same. People who make this argument are basically comparing playing in the NBA with getting a $40,000/year manual labor or service job.

That said, I do support giving the players the ability to declare out of high school if they are good enough, I just think this 'opportunity to enter the workforce' argument, equating all jobs as being equal is absurd.
Ridiculous. Oh ok. So should Hollywood have an age limit.

I see no problem with the one and done rule. It exposes overrated high school guys recruits and gives these elite high school players some time to adjust to better competition before the NBA. I think it is almost disgusting to tell a kid who may come from a broken family that he has to wait another year before he can make some money to support his family. Yeah a lot of these guys busts but most NBA players bust in general.

I'm fine with the one and done rule, but the NCAA should allow ALL students to profit from their likeness.