One and Done needs to be abolished | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

One and Done needs to be abolished

I guarantee that if 30 freshmen declared this year and none of them went to Syracuse we wouldn't be coming close to having this conversation.

I don't like one and dones either, but this is such blatant knee jerk reactionism.

I disagree. I've been saying this all along. But Dickie V of all people was the one who said it best and I was all in after he said it.

Or you can just let kids declare when ever they want. That way they would have the same opportunity to enter the workforce whenever they please, you know like every other American.
This isn't accurate. They do have that opportunity, if they want a career other than the NBA. For my job, and many others, I was required to get a college degree (with mandatory clinical experience), and pass a licensure exam. Many career paths require internship experience, some paid, some unpaid. The NBA requiring a certain amount of post high school experience is no different, and they, as a business, have the right to establish their criteria, as long as it is not racially, ethinically, or religiously biased.

College Basketball is really suffering with the one and done kids leaving scarred earth behind them. Many get some money but no career.

I think a system much like baseball should be instituted. Kids are eligible for the NBA Draft right out of high school if they wish to go.
A kid who goes to college must stay there until they are 21 or complete their Junior year.
I think this would add much needed stability to the college game while still affording those who can hang a direct route to the NBA.
It will also make the NBA game better with more mature, ready players coming from the college ranks.

Thoughts?
NBA doesn't want the MLB rule. They would have too many kids declaring straight out of high school, which is what originally led to the one-and-done rule. Unlike MLB, the NBA doesn't have an extensive minor league system to develop players, and they don't want to invest in one, as long as they can use colleges for it.

lol @ college basketball is suffering :rolling:

NBA doesn't want the MLB rule. They would have too many kids declaring straight out of high school, which is what originally led to the one-and-done rule. Unlike MLB, the NBA doesn't have an extensive minor league system to develop players, and they don't want to invest in one, as long as they can use colleges for it.

This is where Dickie Vs proposal actually comes into play. Have a serious advisory boards including former players, current players, talent evaluators, and whoever else is appropriate, that would review a kid's 'resume' from HS and help them make the decision. That way the Lebron James' of the world can skip college and go right to the draft, but the Kwame Brown's of the world would go to college.

The funny thing is that discussion seems to be prompted by Tyler Ennis...but the one and done rule doesn't apply to him at all.

This is where Dickie Vs proposal actually comes into play. Have a serious advisory boards including former players, current players, talent evaluators, and whoever else is appropriate, that would review a kid's 'resume' from HS and help them make the decision. That way the Lebron James' of the world can skip college and go right to the draft, but the Kwame Brown's of the world would go to college.
I understand the purpose behind the proposal, but I don't that it would be any more effective. Would these evaluators be any better than the talent scouts that are already paid to do this by NBA franchises? If they were NBA teams would snatch them up so that they wouldn't draft the busts. Secondly, just because a kid gets sound advice from this kind of advisory board doesn't mean the kid is going to take it. HUGE EGOS.

I understand the purpose behind the proposal, but I don't that it would be any more effective. Would these evaluators be any better than the talent scouts that are already paid to do this by NBA franchises? If they were NBA teams would snatch them up so that they wouldn't draft the busts. Secondly, just because a kid gets sound advice from this kind of advisory board doesn't mean the kid is going to take it. HUGE EGOS.

I think the problem is that NBA teams are actually afraid to miss out on someone with "potential" and that's why these kids are drafted.

I certainly hope they would be better than the talent scouts.

Anyone want to tell me why people have an issue with prohibiting college basketball players from going pro but not with football players?
The football rule is you're not allowed to go pro until 3 years after your HS class has graduated. I assume that's based on the idea you don't want 30-year-old men colliding at full speed with 18-year-old kids. The large majority of the players that "leave early" are Redshirt Juniors who have actually been there for 4 years and many do earn their degree in that time.

The other idea that losing a football player causes less of a furor is that having one football player leave early when you didn't expect that happening usually isn't as devastating to the team's future outlook as having a bball player leave due to roster size. Ronde Barber was a 1st Team All-ACC CB for our football team who left after his RS Junior year. It, of course, hurt our defense to lose a player of that caliber, but there were at least two players to contend for his vacated spot. It would have been much, much more devastating to our basketball fortunes this year if Joe Harris had left after his Junior year, strictly due to the numbers involved. That's why some schools have had a lot more success in bball rather than football {cough} Dook {cough}; you don't have to bring in as many players that have no business being in your school in order to win.

I think the problem is that NBA teams are actually afraid to miss out on someone with "potential" and that's why these kids are drafted.

I certainly hope they would be better than the talent scouts.
I agree that's why they take the chances, but if it were that easy to figure out who was ready, they wouldn't have to take chances. I don't think a committee would be any more successful.

Most NBA GM's would prefer an age limit of two years. The ones that don't, are the ones in the lottery with a chance to draft a one and done.

As stated, the one and done rule is an NBA problem. The only thing the NCAA can do is allow athletes who go pro to return to school if they are unable to make a living playing pro ball. Athletics is the only part of college life that forbids students to return after taking money to play. ALL people in other careers can return to school and participate in their fields no problem. They can even accept scholarships in their field, why not sports? My son is an artist and has sold some of his work. He can get an art scholarship. He also plays in a band and if he was good enough get a music scholarship and earn money for the school and still play professionally at the same time.

Schools should lose the scholarship for the remaining years if a player leaves for the draft and does not finish second semester with passing grades.

the NBA doesn't require a bachelor's degree
Most kids don't go to college to become plumbers or Garbage men. They go to college to get jobs at companies that require you tothe NBA doesn't require a bachelor's degree the NBA doesn't require a bachelor's degree. You prove my point proved my point
Anyone want to tell me why people have an issue with prohibiting college basketball players from going pro but not with football players?
Not me. try to make the team whenever you can

They can't do that because of title nine. If they pay the football and basketball players, schools have to pay the girls soccer team and fencing team.
There is no reason that all college athletes need to be payed the same. Jay Bilas has a great take on this that solves the "one-and-done" problem. Pay college athletes what they are worth and have them sign a contract. That way you know what you have and what you don't.

Really good video: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10681528

There is no reason that all college athletes need to be payed the same. Jay Bilas has a great take on this that solves the "one-and-done" problem. Pay college athletes what they are worth and have them sign a contract. That way you know what you have and what you don't.

Really good video: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10681528

The problem with that is you turn recruiting into a bidding war for recruits. Kansas offered Wiggins X amount, we will give him Y, where does it end?

lol @ college basketball is suffering :rolling:

The level of play has. If you disagree, that's fine you're entitled to that, but I think you're wrong, watching with your heart and not your eyes. The slow slide will continue until those who run both understand they need to cultivate the player stock, or the NBA will degenerate to what it was in the late 70's. And there's no guarantee another Magic/Larry will come along and rescue it this time.

Why does the NBA have to watch out for college basketball? There shouldn't be any age restrictions. If they're ready or stupidly think they're ready they should be allowed to go.

For the same reason the fishing industry needs regulation. Without it, sooner or later comes the day when there are no more fish. Take the Grand Banks cod stocks for example.

Comparing playing in the NBA with becoming a doctor is absurd. A construction job requires way more basic knowledge than dribbling a basketball. Age restrictions will eventually become a dinosaur, I'm surprised they haven't been challenged in court yet.
I applied for a job the other day and they had the nerve to tell me I need a doctorate. HOW DARE THEY?! I told them they will be hearing from my lawyer.

The problem with that is you turn recruiting into a bidding war for recruits. Kansas offered Wiggins X amount, we will give him Y, where does it end?
It ends when either Kansas or Syracuse decides not to match the offer and the kid signs the contract. Wat's the problem?

It ends when either Kansas or Syracuse decides not to match the offer and the kid signs the contract. Wat's the problem?

Teams won't stop, how much are guys like Paypal cal going to pay for a wiggins or a randle?

• The point guard position can't be turned over every year if you want to win a championship. Beohiem needs to get lower recruited high IQ guys at PG.
Before the season, I recall no one on this board or elsewhere predicting Ennis could be one and done. That he would be a capable point guard was no surprise. That he would emerge as a likely lottery pick took everyone (including the coaching staff) by surprise.