One and Done needs to be abolished | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One and Done needs to be abolished

Ridiculous. Oh ok. So should Hollywood have an age limit.

Reading comprehension fail.

I actually agree that high school players should be able to go to the league. The point I'm making is that every 'career' is different and many have different well-defined requirements. Lumping every job together into a single pot is an intellectually lazy argument.

College Basketball is really suffering with the one and done kids leaving scarred earth behind them. Many get some money but no career.

I think a system much like baseball should be instituted. Kids are eligible for the NBA Draft right out of high school if they wish to go.
A kid who goes to college must stay there until they are 21 or complete their Junior year.
I think this would add much needed stability to the college game while still affording those who can hang a direct route to the NBA.
It will also make the NBA game better with more mature, ready players coming from the college ranks.

Thoughts?
I prefer the NFL set up. Cannot draft a kid until 3 years after his hs class graduates. It works for them and nobody is complaining about it. College becomes the feeder system to turn out polished ready players. The problem with the MLB model is that 25 of the 30 1st round picks will all be hs kids 99% of which won't be ready to play pro ball but will get drafted anyway. All the best players will never play in college.

I'm fine with the one and done rule, but the NCAA should allow ALL students to profit from their likeness.

They can't do that because of title nine. If they pay the football and basketball players, schools have to pay the girls soccer team and fencing team.

Ridiculous. Oh ok. So should Hollywood have an age limit.

The NBA (or all professional leagues) has all kinds of things that would not be permitted in the real world. Just not the draft age.

- Players can be traded with no ability to object
- Salary cap
- Salary restrictions / fixed contracts
- Free agency restrictions

I don't understand people's fascination with the draft age as this big human "rights" issue, when all of the above would never be permitted in the real world either. The CBA gives the player's right to sign off on what they believe to be fair in a multi-million industry.

If the players are fine with the one and done, or two and done. or no restrictions, then why do we have an issue? We are apparently fine with everything that can happen to NBA adults that would never be permitted in industry, but once it involves an 18 or 19 year old kid it becomes this massive "rights" issue. It is confusing to me.

Then you're going to have to guarantee 3 year scholarships for the players. Specifically, men's football and basketball at major universities need a voice because no one has their best interests at heart.

They can't do that because of title nine. If they pay the football and basketball players, schools have to pay the girls soccer team and fencing team.
I didn't say pay them. I said permit all students to profit from their likeness.

It comes down to what is best for the NBA. They do rules to benefit themselves the most, not the NCAA. Ironically, whatever the NBA does to look out for themselves will typically benefit the NCAA as well.

The one and done rule was better for the NBA than the old rule...the 2 and done rule would be much, much better. Increases development, exposure, and most of all increases draft certainty.

I guess the 3 and done would be better, but that is pushing it too far.

The baseball model would absolutely stink for the NBA, as there would still be raw prospects coming into the draft as HS kids that force the hands of lottery teams. There are more HS kids that play a nice role in basketball than baseball for various factors. Failure rate is high as well - but kids may only look at successes. This is what the NBA want to avoid. You want your worst teams to get the best prospects, but at the same time reduce risk. If you can get all your prospects with 2 years experience that is much better.

2 and done seems to make the most sense. It will help the NBA, players association will probably be OK with it (and would amend the CBA with a few other small concessions). And it will help the NCAA as well.

The IN OR 3 YEAR model is not good for the NBA - sure it would benefit the NCAA, but it is the NBA that is making the rule for their own benefit.

I guarantee that if 30 freshmen declared this year and none of them went to Syracuse we wouldn't be coming close to having this conversation.

I don't like one and dones either, but this is such blatant knee jerk reactionism.

Why? Other than the enjoyment of college fans and boosters, why should an athlete not have the same rights that EVERY OTHER COLLEGE KID has: leave school and go to work. Why not worry about hockey players getting drafted at 16, tennis players, golfers and baseball players leaving high school. Actors and musicians being tutored and not even going to high school. Why should the (predominantly) black athlete be required to go to, or remain in, college to pursue a career that has nothing to do with a college degree?
If you don't make want to require welders, computer geeks, garbage men, auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. go to college, why make athletes. Only because you want cheap labor to entertain you.
No one is forcing kids to go to college. They would be free to enter the workforce and do whatever they want for three years after high school.

Or you can just let kids declare when ever they want. That way they would have the same opportunity to enter the workforce whenever they please, you know like every other American.

If you are going to do that then maybe you should limit eligibility to play in college to students who can actually gain admission based on their academic record. There exists an elephant in the room when you talk about preparing kids to enter the athletic workforce and that is that college athletics weren't intended to support a career choice but rather to be an extracurricular activity for students pursuing degrees.

The NBA (or all professional leagues) has all kinds of things that would not be permitted in the real world. Just not the draft age.

- Players can be traded with no ability to object
- Salary cap
- Salary restrictions / fixed contracts
- Free agency restrictions

I don't understand people's fascination with the draft age as this big human "rights" issue, when all of the above would never be permitted in the real world either. The CBA gives the player's right to sign off on what they believe to be fair in a multi-million industry.

If the players are fine with the one and done, or two and done. or no restrictions, then why do we have an issue? We are apparently fine with everything that can happen to NBA adults that would never be permitted in industry, but once it involves an 18 or 19 year old kid it becomes this massive "rights" issue. It is confusing to me.
So well said.

Sucks for servicable NBA veterans. Guys who actually would play in games will be losing roster spots to kids who need to beef up and improve their skills while they sit on the end of the bench for two years. Based on no age limit and the fact that the NBA is in love with "potential", non-superstars will have much shorter careers and earn less money in the long run.

One and done is a NBA rule that has nothing to do with NCAA. For years I have proposed this. Since much of the reason to leave early is to get to the second contract (free agency), then the NBA could insist the 1stm contract start at 2 years then add a year for every year under 21 a player is. A kid who leaves early at 18, has a 5 year contract. This helps the firt team to draft a kid more time to develop him and get the benefit of his game instead of losing him just as hebegins his prime. So if a kid spends more time in college developing his game, he gets to free agency the same time as the one who leaves early.

This argument is ridiculous. Comparing going into a multimillion dollar job that requires you to be in the public spotlight on a daily basis versus going into a construction job after high school is like comparing Apples to Supernovas. And there are TONS of jobs that REQUIRE you have a college degree, or beyond. There's not a single high school kid in this country, no matter how smart, who is going to go straight from high school to being a high profile lawyer or doctor. Not all jobs are the same. People who make this argument are basically comparing playing in the NBA with getting a $40,000/year manual labor or service job.

That said, I do support giving the players the ability to declare out of high school if they are good enough, I just think this 'opportunity to enter the workforce' argument, equating all jobs as being equal is absurd.

What on earth does being good enough have to do with this? Who's deciding this? Hoopscoop. EVERYONE or no one. Comparing playing in the NBA with becoming a doctor is absurd. A construction job requires way more basic knowledge than dribbling a basketball. Age restrictions will eventually become a dinosaur, I'm surprised they haven't been challenged in court yet.

It's the NBA Union who is messing everything up. The NBA realizes the early entries are hurting the product, but they can't get it through collective bargaining. MLB rule would be perfect and would improve both the college and pro game. Good news is it looks like this is a priority for the new Commish so hopefully we see some changes relatively soon. Just think how great the college game could be. Something needs to be done though because cbb is getting to the point where you can't watch it.

The NBA players association won't go for it because "the rule about paying your dues was passed by those already in the club." Players extant are not interested in facilitating the influx of those trying to take their jobs. Or, in other words, too much democracy.

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of telling a young man that they are required to stay somewhere they don't want to be for the purposes of providing me with entertainment.

To the first point, the apprenticeship concept out in the real world runs on a model not dissimilar to that. To the second, you're not demanding the "entertainment" so much as the NBA is trying to sell it. The NCAA product is trending downward the same as the NBA's. Meanwhile, they're both "killing the goose that lays the golden eggs," competing for - and manipulating - the same players, like 2 packs of coyotes squabbling over a bag of tacos in a parking lot that they haven't noticed is emptying.

(no crap to you, eao1115)

Last edited:
The thing I like about the MLB draft is that the kid can go to college if he doesn't like where he is drafted or the money he is offered after the fact. Hoops should have something similar. Once you make yourself eligible for the NBA, you are a pro.

Or you can just let kids declare when ever they want. That way they would have the same opportunity to enter the workforce whenever they please, you know like every other American.
Why? Other than the enjoyment of college fans and boosters, why should an athlete not have the same rights that EVERY OTHER COLLEGE KID has: leave school and go to work. Why not worry about hockey players getting drafted at 16, tennis players, golfers and baseball players leaving high school. Actors and musicians being tutored and not even going to high school. Why should the (predominantly) black athlete be required to go to, or remain in, college to pursue a career that has nothing to do with a college degree?
If you don't make want to require welders, computer geeks, garbage men, auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, etc. go to college, why make athletes. Only because you want cheap labor to entertain you.

Anyone want to tell me why people have an issue with prohibiting college basketball players from going pro but not with football players?

Unless you are going to argue that all these kids can do is play basketball in the NBA for millions, don't these kids have the opportunity to enter the workforce whenever they want now? Nothing is stopping them from applying for jobs outside of the game of basketball. To me the baseball model is more than fair, even if some kids need to get a regular job like the rest of us for a while or play overseas for a year or two.

Why does the NBA have to watch out for college basketball? There shouldn't be any age restrictions. If they're ready or stupidly think they're ready they should be allowed to go.

I think they should do it because they will get more NBA ready players. It would make for a better product overall for both the NCAA and the association.

It's the NBA Union who is messing everything up. The NBA realizes the early entries are hurting the product, but they can't get it through collective bargaining. MLB rule would be perfect and would improve both the college and pro game. Good news is it looks like this is a priority for the new Commish so hopefully we see some changes relatively soon. Just think how great the college game could be. Something needs to be done though because cbb is getting to the point where you can't watch it.

They can't get it through collective bargaining because they would have to concede something else, and the owners aren't ready to do that yet. Yet.