One interesting McCord thought | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

One interesting McCord thought

No you're right - I guess you could redshirt and get the Covid year. Bleich did that.

It is a weird concept though in that the player isn't really responsible for usage and appropriate preservation of a redshirt, yet can lose an entire year of eligibility
Yeah, Bleich had pretty major hip surgery in 2020, right? Weird gray area.

And the 5 game thing is super weird, but I know people used to get frustrated back in the any appearances days when Coach P would put a guy out in garbage time of a blowout and thereby lose a whole year. There’s always going to be guys just over the threshold.

I believe based on what he did at Ohio State and what he’s put on tape in six games here, the NFL knows what he is, and staying here another year probably would not make any difference to them. What could he do next year? Have another year just like this one? How would it change things?

I think his ability to make reads, make all the throws and stand in the pocket will be valuable enough to be at at least a third round pick.
More guaranteed money if he stays.

He turned down Nebraska.

Does he turn down Bama? Tennessee? Clemson?

Y'all want to throw the hypotheticals that he'd come back, without realizing the extremely likely option is he isn't coming back.
And you don't know either. Nobody does except for him.

Sure, that's why it's not an easy decision to walk away from guaranteed money.
If he is entertaining the idea of trying to get a 5th year to play in college I would imagine his draft projection will play a big part.

IF McCord has another year of eligibility, those of you that think he'd come back also think we'll be his best offer NIL-wise?
I'm not saying that it's even a possibility, but if the premise is that it's possible, NIL is only a part of the equation. His relationship with Fran is also important.

We'd have to be in the ballpark but I'd suspect we wouldn't have to be the top bidder either.

I'm not saying that it's even a possibility, but if the premise is that it's possible, NIL is only a part of the equation. His relationship with Fran is also important.

We'd have to be in the ballpark but I'd suspect we wouldn't have to be the top bidder either.
Well the tone of the thread is "McCord won't be drafted high/in the NFL for long so he should come back to get NIL money".

If we think that's the motivation, why would he take less to stay here?

The whole thread and premise is ridiculous as he isn't going to get another year of eligibility anyways.

Well the tone of the thread is "McCord won't be drafted high/in the NFL for long so he should come back to get NIL money".

The whole thread and premise is ridiculous as he isn't going to get another year of eligibility anyways.
You're framing your argument dependant on if he chooses to play one more year in college he would have to pick the highest bidder; I don't see how that's a must if playing here would still yield more money initially than being drafted high.

Choosing to play one more year for Fran while delaying going to the draft are not mutually exclusive choices.

Um, because he left a bad situation to go someplace where he can develop and show his skills better? A very reasonable argument can be made that his chances at the NFL are better here than at any other place he would jump to for a short-term cash grab. No idea how it would work out in a different situation. If it turns out to be a bad fit he could torpedo his chances.

He turned down Nebraska.

Does he turn down Bama? Tennessee? Clemson?

Y'all want to throw the hypotheticals that he'd come back, without realizing the extremely likely option is he isn't coming back.
I’d think his OSU experience would sour him on a factory as long as he sees a playoff possibility with us.

Could he go to the NFL for 3 years as a backup, not get an 2nd contract and then come back to cuse to finish his eligibility?

Round 2 has a limited amount of guaranteed money, while round 3 and beyond only the bonus is guaranteed.

Here is the contract for the last 4th round pick.

Jacob Cowing signed a 4 year , $4,548,708 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including $528,708 signing bonus, $528,708 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,137,177. In 2024, Cowing will earn a base salary of $795,000 and a signing bonus of $528,708

Contract for last 5th round pick

Qwan'tez Stiggers signed a 4 year , $4,274,276 contract with the New York Jets, including $254,276 signing bonus, $254,276 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,068,569. In 2024, Stiggers will earn a base salary of $795,000 and a signing bonus of $254,276

The last 6th round pick

Elijah Klein signed a 4 year , $4,158,388 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including $138,388 signing bonus, $138,388 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,039,597. In 2024, Klein will earn a base salary of $795,000 and a signing bonus of $138,388,

The last 7th round pick

Jaylen Key signed a 4 year , $4,100,736 contract with the New York Jets, including $80,736 signing bonus, $80,736 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,025,184.
Is Stiggers from Key & Peele?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom