One minor quibble with the offense…. | Syracusefan.com

One minor quibble with the offense….

Jake

Mod
Maybe it’s my impatience, maybe it was the beer, but I was frustrated with so many quick slant screens Friday night. I kept waiting for Nixon to go over the top - never did.

As efficient as this offense is, I’d like 2-3,deep shots a game, and we don’t take them. Maybe we’re saving it…

Maybe it’s my impatience, maybe it was the beer, but I was frustrated with so many quick slant screens Friday night. I kept waiting for Nixon to go over the top - never did.

As efficient as this offense is, I’d like 2-3,deep shots a game, and we don’t take them. Maybe we’re saving it…
I agree wholeheartedly. I also think Zeed Haynes and Justus Ross Simmons were going to be the main outside deep threats and with them not available much, Nixon has had to pivot.

It wasn't just you nor the beer...

Agree we went to those screens too many times and didn't use them to set up other plays the way Nixon normally does things. UNLV saw them enough that they started to anticipate them and either blow them up for no gain or knock the ball away for an incomplete.

I think Jeff was reluctant to throw deep because he was afraid of sacks and especially interceptions. Our OL did a better job of pass blocking UNLV (their DL was probably the weakest unit they had, mostly smaller, quicker types). I think our OTs learned something from the Holy Cross game and were able to handle speed rushes from the outside better. But we still had to roll Kyle out of the pocket most of the time we threw anything that took a little while to develop.

The biggest issue though was the UNLV had very good DBs. Their CBs were solid. Tony Grimes has played in the ACC and been around a long time. Very good athlete. And someone who I believe was originally from NYS.

But I think Jalen Catalon was the guy we were most afraid of challenging though. He is really fast and a great ball hawk. Was all over the field on Friday making great plays Friday night. Had 4 interceptions coming into the game. Has been a fine player in the SEC and B12 before coming to UNLV. Pretty sure he will be an early draft choice and a star in the NFL.

A lot of those short passes / screens were part of the RPO game. McCord usually makes the right read but he definitely threw a few that should have been handed off.

Sa

said same thing earlier somewhere

I agree wholeheartedly. I also think Zeed Haynes and Justus Ross Simmons were going to be the main outside deep threats and with them not available much, Nixon has had to pivot.
Hmm. That’s a good point.

A lot of those short passes / screens were part of the RPO game. McCord usually makes the right read but he definitely threw a few that should have been handed off.
His issues typically come over the middle in tight situations. If I'm Nixon I get rid of the 7-yard button hook or whatever it is called today. Kyle does well on outs slants and if it's going middle it needs to be down the seams or OG sitting in the zone.

His issues typically come over the middle in tight situations. If I'm Nixon I get rid of the 7-yard button hook or whatever it is called today. Kyle does well on outs slants and if it's going middle it needs to be down the seams or OG sitting in the zone.
Have to admit, I'm amazed at any critique at all of play calling and design. That 7 yard button hook has gotten us into more 2nd and 3's than I can remember in my history of being a fan. I love our offensive approach in every way. If I'm Nixon, I don't get rid of anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom