One of the least-informed posts ever ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One of the least-informed posts ever ...

I know this is just thinking from the common man, and I know they have rules for funding into University projects, but cfb landscape has changed so drastically in the last 20 years. Maybe it is time to go outside the box on some major issues like these. In the big scheme of things $20m is peanuts, and the roi could be absurd. If we want to be one of the few private schools playing big boy football the thinking needs to change. We don't have the state funding like the top schools so we will always be fighting an uphill battle. I don't know if the BOT understands this, or understands it too well. It just sounds pretty grim, and if some change in thinking isn't made we just end up as the doormat for years to come.

SU doesn't graduate business-savvy people who actually produce things that benefit society.

Go back and look at the list of alumni ... you'd be shocked how much money could flow back into the university ... hell if Biden is stupid enough to disclose classified data in a public address (which he did) then he is dumb enough to hand over a few million with some coaxing.

CTO44 - you just made it worse than I ever imagine and confirmed what I originally posted and tried to state. KCSU has it right in a follow up post to your #133 - go read everyone.

Can you tell me that the practice facility wasn't proposed during the first year DM became HC? 4 years later and guess what - still no signs of a practice facility. Where is the fundraising leadership on the BoT to get it done? Do we expect HCDM to do fundraising as well?

However, as a moderator, please feel free do delete the whole thread that I started today. Be warned, the truth will eventually come out.

I have to ask...do you know who CTO is and her association to SU? If you don't, you might want to find out first before you tell her what is going on with the BOT.

I just posted my campaign idea that I bought to the athletic dept. a year and a half ago. Even if it is not implemented, join my grassroots facebook page "44 for football". I tried to donate $44 for each win this year, or really good performance, or anything else that inspired me about the football program. I have never been asked for money for the program, can not donate much, but feel a lot of $44s add up. I can do that much. I have tried to drum up support for others to do the same.
I hope my $44 reach the program. I do it thru the University donation site, and ask that it go to the football program specifically.
I grew up with football from the late 1950's when as a little girl we would go to one game a year. This program means a lot to me, and I am willing to do what I can for it. I just needed to be asked or directed to do something. Finally I did it on my own. But many don't know how to do it without being specifically asked.

Hey I give in to CTO44 especially if she thinks I am so uninformed. My source was second hand - you are obviously not...I bow to your inside knowledge.

However, one thing I do know is that DM is really frustrated that he cannot get funding for the practice facility - whether that is from fans and/or BoT or both I simply do not care. You have both confirmed that BoT will not fund the facility due to the old adage - we don't do things that way. I would hope that we can agree that after 4 years - we still do not have a practice facility for Whatever Reason. AGREED?

Second, if UL & UC can go get, pay and keep HC by paying them $2.5 million or above and lock them in for a contract extension, why do we not get that same confirmation from TGD. It was highly documented in the past how much he made and how long his contract was for. Why the cloak and dagger "coupled" with HCDM now interviewing for NFL HC jobs? Answer me this one.

These were really the 2 points I was making - sorry to be so uninformed for your liking. Again please delete my original thread if not to your liking - you have my permission even though you don't need it.

Go back and look at the list of alumni ... you'd be shocked how much money could flow back into the university ... hell if Biden is stupid enough to disclose classified data in a public address (which he did) then he is dumb enough to hand over a few million with some coaxing.

I read somewhere that his net worth was not significant. He is probably too dumb to keep/invest the money he earns. He may also be honest enough to not keep political donors' donations for personal use, in which case I would give him credit for integrity. I have not verified either, so you know that both are absolutely true as you read this on the interwebs.

I have to ask...do you know who CTO is and her association to SU? If you don't, you might want to find out first before you tell her what is going on with the BOT.
I'm new here, so I'll bite. Who is she?

I responded to the post from chakka3421, but since mine was the 133rd response on the 9th page in a thread that already had nearly 5700 views, I doubt many have seen it. So I will repost it here...

"You have no clue as to what you are talking about (in stating that the Board of Trustees has refused to build a new football practice facility).

"The school/trustees would love to build a new football practice facility....as soon as the football program raises a certain percentage of the money needed for it.

"This is exactly how the Melo facility was built...and how Newhouse III was built ... and how the new law school is being built. The school committed to none of them ... until the money was raised.

"This is how athletic facilities on most campuses are built...they are mainly funded by substantial private donations. For an example close to home, look at the football facility and soon-to-be-built basketball facility at UConn -- both funded by private donations.

"When Doug talks about fan support ... he is in part talking about the extreme difficulty in raising the money that the program needs to build necessary facilities."

So CTO, please enlighten us uninformed...

It appears the Football program is light on donors. However, the move to the ACC was done with football (and the general health of the athletic department) in mind. Why can't the Athletic Department use the new influx of money from the ACC to build facilities? No one has been able to answer this question.

Is it simply that the BOT must see the money come from donors...and no other source?

I read somewhere that his net worth was not significant. He is probably too dumb to keep/invest the money he earns. He may also be honest enough to not keep political donors' donations for personal use, in which case I would give him credit for integrity. I have not verified either, so you know that both are absolutely true as you read this on the interwebs.

This cuts to the heart of my previous post (though I differ with you re his "integrity" - recall his plagiarism troubles and what that tells you about him). Outside of the Newhouse School of Liberal Newsreaders, Joe Biden is the most famous alumnus. That says a lot.

But to play devils advocate the BOT could take it out of the fan's court by just paying for it. I understand that is not the norm, either for SU or in college athletics in general, but it is technically possible.

Even if it's technically possible, it might be a mistake for an educational institution to grant extraordinary requests for more spending in the athletics department. We only want a BOT doing things outside the norm in response to a threat to the structure and fabric of the school itself.

Which is not to be dismissive of your note, the football program or fans who want more investment in it. I want the same thing. But one of the things that separates us from the barbarian hoards in the SEC is that we recognize limits to the means to success.

I'm new here, so I'll bite. Who is she?

Here is a picture of the groundbreaking for the Melo Center. Who in this picture can't you identify? Answer that...and you answer your own question.

9311410-essay.jpg

I know that he revealed information not fit for public consumption ... not sure about his net worth ... and there are many things that can be found out without interwebs while working in the defense industry ...

If you think I don't know the truth, I give up.
Regardless of who is right to whatever shade of gray, the concensus is that SU is moving to the ACC primarily for football revenue, correct? For that to be happening, common sense would suggest there is an unwavering top/down admin commitment to the football program? To think of even spending the money necessary to switch conferences, how could the university not also anticipate & allocate the expenses (such as a modern practice facility recommended years ago) for providing a top 25 program?

It sounds like switching conferences was considered before the notion of commiting the money necessary for a top 25 football program? Should it really be up to private donations to take care of practice facility expenses while the team is still struggling for respectability? Afterall, did the alumni allow the football program to crap out before HCDM?

Not correctly figuring in the ROI from fair-weather alumni, as long term revenue rather than a source to be used for short term expenses would be a high stress strategy, IMO.

Biden is small potatoes compared to some other alumni. Especially when you are considering $$$.

Still can't believe Melo wore sweats that day.

He also wore something inappropriate to the White House in 2003 as I recall.

He also wore something inappropriate to the White House in 2003 as I recall.

Damn I have that picture somewhere, pre computer storage days. It was a very light tan leisure type suit.

Perhaps a philosophical distinction, but is it the fans court...or the university's court for allowing fandom to erode to the degree it has? It seems weird to ok the strategic move to the ACC but be unwilling to assure a competitive playing field. The fans didn't decide on the move. If support under indexes the business case or SU's ability to sell to the fans, it feels like the university should make up the difference.

Especially with a raise from $6M a year to $18-20M a year right around the corner. This would be nuts for the BoT to allow Marrone to leave and not commit to an upgrade.

Biden is small potatoes compared to some other alumni. Especially when you are considering $$$.
Yep, there are thousands of alumni worth a exponentially more than Joe. The one I previously mentioned, Arthur Rock, is a billionaire. I'm sure SU is in touch with him :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom