One positive thing from the beating the football committee is taking | Syracusefan.com

One positive thing from the beating the football committee is taking

kirbivore

2019 Cali Award (Passing Yards)
That maybe the hoops selections committee rethinks the idea of doing a weekly rankings show and keep Selection Sunday the holiday that it is.

Did I miss something, what are they taking a beating on?

Did I miss something, what are they taking a beating on?
Dropping TCU from 3 to 6 (and out of the playoff) after winning 55-3 in their last game.

Dropping TCU from 3 to 6 (and out of the playoff) after winning 55-3 in their last game.

They beat a two win team, while Ohio State beat the 13th ranked team on a neutral field by 59.

That maybe the hoops selections committee rethinks the idea of doing a weekly rankings show and keep Selection Sunday the holiday that it is.

People will get over it once the reality of Saban vs. Meyer sets in.

But the idea of a weekly ranking show is awful. It works for football, not for basketball. Selection Sunday is one of the best days of the year, I really hope they don't f*** that up.

Tcu's best wins were K-State at home, and Minnesota at home, the same Minnesota team that Osu beat on the road, and in addition to that they won at Michigan State, and beat a good Wisconsin team on a neutral site by 59 points. I despise Osu, but they deserve to be in the playoff after what they did on Sat.

The weekly rankings generate easy too much controversy for espn to get rid of them.

Playoff games are still bowl games and those bowls would not have been happy to have TCU. OSU a much bigger ticket.
And they travel very well. They probably brought 20,000 fans several years ago when they played the Huskies here. Nebraska and LSU are the other couple teams I can think of that bring so many folks, and these for just regular season games.

The committee are the ones that put TCU at #3 in the first place. I don't care if OSU beat Wisconsin by 100, TCU winning by 50 and doing kneel downs at the end doesn't constitute dropping three spots. TCU also beat Oklahoma and WVU (on the road) who beat Baylor in their own house. TCU's only loss was by 3 to Baylor who was ranked top 13 wire to wire and top 10 for all but three weeks. Ohio State loses at home against a .500 VaTech team, has trouble for three plus quarters against Navy and finally cracks the top ten in week #12. No, this looks like a financial decision more than a deserve it decision. OSU/Alabama has exponentially higher ratings potential than Alabama vs. TCU/Baylor.

You mean all of the free publicity it generated? If anything, I think it's more likely that we get the hoops version now.

You can tell the basketball committee chair hates doing that 5 minute interview with CBS on Selection Sunday. I think they'll be like "do we need this aggravation every week?"

so has it been established that there will be a weekly basketball ranking show, or is this just being discussed as possibility?

Actually, the vast majority of people who know anything about college football have been very complimentary towards the committee.

The committee are the ones that put TCU at #3 in the first place. I don't care if OSU beat Wisconsin by 100, TCU winning by 50 and doing kneel downs at the end doesn't constitute dropping three spots. TCU also beat Oklahoma and WVU (on the road) who beat Baylor in their own house. TCU's only loss was by 3 to Baylor who was ranked top 13 wire to wire and top 10 for all but three weeks. Ohio State loses at home against a .500 VaTech team, has trouble for three plus quarters against Navy and finally cracks the top ten in week #12. No, this looks like a financial decision more than a deserve it decision. OSU/Alabama has exponentially higher ratings potential than Alabama vs. TCU/Baylor.

They evaluate the overall body of work, The fact that Ohio State beat a ranked team by 59, and Tcu beat a two win team is what put Ohio State ahead. Oklahoma is down this year, Wvu is improved, but still mediocre. Tcu's best wins came at home, Ohio State beat two ranked team on the road, and one on a neutral field. Baylor played a weak ooc schedule.

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! What you talkin 'bout, Willis? They are seriously considering doing away with Selection Sunday, which is the high holy day of college basketball???

They beat a two win team, while Ohio State beat the 13th ranked team on a neutral field by 59.

Too many people are treating the Selection Committee's weekly rankings like the AP poll. There's a huge difference between the two.

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! What you talkin 'bout, Willis? They are seriously considering doing away with Selection Sunday, which is the high holy day of college basketball???

There was speculation about it. One positive thing is that ESPN has nothing to do with the NCAA hoops tourney, so perhaps cooler heads will prevail at CBS and Turner.

Playoff games are still bowl games and those bowls would not have been happy to have TCU. OSU a much bigger ticket.

So...you're saying that the system is intentionally rigged for the "name brand" schools. Thank you. That is confirmation that the system sucks. ;) The Committee should never have leapfrogged FSU with TCU, first of all. Second, they should have placed TCU and OSU 4 and 5, respectively, if they already had the intention of making the bowls happy with traveling fans. Much less explaining to do when you make it look like TCU and OSU were "that close" to one another.

Basically, their hating of FSU backfired. They were banking on FSU stumbling so that they could easily slip them out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom