One reason Slashton should be at QB this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One reason Slashton should be at QB this year

Yep I remember that Knute Rockne speech I gave...I think it willed us to a 40-10 defeat that day rivaling the "dial a score" games from our 0-9 freshman season!

Seriously though I hear ya on that analysis and agree and mentioned above his weakness is certainly in pocket throws. If we stay with the same offensive philosophy than there's no question that he'll be deficient as a pocket passer for the reasons you point out.

As Tomcat and I were discussing if he does have a chance and they're going to give him a chance it'll have to be wholesale changes on our offensive approach to hide and minimize those very real deficiencies throwing more times than not out of the pocket, on the run and while creating. I know from a conventional perspective that sounds crazy, but this kid has crazy talent that might warrant that and giving it a go. Emphasize might.

Very curious on Hunt as so many are very high on him but I literally haven't seen him throw yet, and we may very have a McNabb/Johnson situation up here again with the only thing to be decided is who is McNabb and who is Johnson. Stay tuned.

That one pass can be seen in this link. It's a great pass no doubt but I think we need a bigger sample.

I understand the discussions of his throwing motion given the way our current offense operates, but have some of you watched the successful 'QB's' in college football today? They're just great athletes who get put behind center. Regardless, as of right now, I have complete faith in Nassib this season.

Why do you waste time on an online board? With your arrogance and expertise at evaluating future potential, you should work for the NFL.

First of all, I'd be better than Matt Millen. And anyone drafting for the Jets.

Second, I think that a number of you really need to lighten up. This should be pretty obvious to be in response to the thread already counting him out. We have all sorts of people that have become experts in his game, and this coming off a year in which spring practice was completely closed. Forget the spring game, I would take little away from a single play, but I would say that based upon what looks like he'll be used all over the field, that he has too much talent to be left on the bench.

One thing I would take from the spring game is the body of work. Practices are closed and still after all of that, the offense looks like it's made no progress. Not scoring in a spring game, are you friggin' kidding me? Nassib's a senior, but perhaps he's not the answer, maybe we have someone who may have a weaker arm but can create plays that our offense doesn't seem to be able to create unless there seems to be some sort of cosmic alignment.

I'm no expert here, but I do know our offense has been a disaster, it doesn't seem to be any better, and we MAY have someone who could actually do something. I'd like to be excited that we actually are going to have something to be excited about rather than the same dreck.

One thing I would take from the spring game is the body of work. Practices are closed and still after all of that, the offense looks like it's made no progress. Not scoring in a spring game, are you friggin' kidding me? Nassib's a senior, but perhaps he's not the answer, maybe we have someone who may have a weaker arm but can create plays that our offense doesn't seem to be able to create unless there seems to be some sort of cosmic alignment.

I'm no expert here, but I do know our offense has been a disaster, it doesn't seem to be any better, and we MAY have someone who could actually do something. I'd like to be excited that we actually are going to have something to be excited about rather than the same dreck.
First of all, those of us who know how practice went this spring know the offense is different.

Second of all, Nassib will be playing QB, and will get drafted. The guy threw 22 TDs and 9 INTs last year with a Completion % of 65. He is the answer.

Third of all, some of the plays in the spring game weren't our offense. Judging Nassib/Broyld on the spring game is silly.

Finally, if our offensive playbook is a disaster, how would putting Broyld under center help us rather than a 5th year senior with 2 years of starting experience? I would love to know. I'd rather be excited that we have a 5th year senior under center than a kid that just came out of prep school and from what I heard, hasn't grasped the play book completely yet.

First of all, those of us who know how practice went this spring know the offense is different.

Second of all, Nassib will be playing QB, and will get drafted. The guy threw 22 TDs and 9 INTs last year with a Completion % of 65. He is the answer.

Third of all, some of the plays in the spring game weren't our offense. Judging Nassib/Broyld on the spring game is silly.

Finally, if our offensive playbook is a disaster, how would putting Broyld under center help us rather than a 5th year senior with 2 years of starting experience? I would love to know. I'd rather be excited that we have a 5th year senior under center than a kid that just came out of prep school and from what I heard, hasn't grasped the play book completely yet.
is anyone really saying that Nassib shouldn't start this year? Not this guys who started the thread suggesting the future is AB. Maybe he did elsewhere if so I missed it. Most of us AB bandwagoners are suggesting he get time at qb TOO is some way shape or form.

As for Nassib getting drafted that would surprise me, pleasantly so because it will mean he had a very good senior year. Here's hoping both things happen.

You have to be able to hit a deep ball in order to get a look in the NFL if he is able to do that this year I will gladly eat crow

You have to be able to hit a deep ball in order to get a look in the NFL if he is able to do that this year I will gladly eat crow

Ok. So we should praise Ashton for his one throw in the spring game, but when Nassib hits on all his deep balls in the spring game, including a 50 yarder in the air perfectly into Sales' hands, we should ignore it.

Nassib? Drafted?

You are crazy. 7 TD, 5 INT in last five games against BIG EAST competition. 10 of 22 TD's came against Wake Forest (75th), Rhode Island (1-AA), Toledo (76th) and Tulane (82nd), and take out the WVU game (which if we want to be objective was an absolute aberration) and he had 8 TD's and 5 INT's with a 6.1 yards/attempt average over that span.

Just to indulge you, I took a moment to look back on last year's draft. I can do the same for this year's draft after this weekend if you wish.

Last year, there were 12 QB's that were drafted. The last of which being Greg McElroy of Alabama. In the 7th round.20 TDs, 5 INT, 70.5 completion % in the SEC. Better than Nassib. By a lot.

To review, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder all went 1st round last year. Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick of Nevada went in the 2nd. No way Nassib is even close to any of these guys.

Ryan Mallett was a stud at Arkansas and dropped to the third because of off the field stuff. TJ Yates, who was a 5th rounder, is 6-4 and passed for 3,400 yards (8.1 YPA) at UNC as a senior. Nassib is 6-2 and passed for 6.4 YPA.

Ricky Stanzi at Iowa was a 5th rounder. 3,000 yards, 25 TDs, 6 INT in the Big Ten. A bit better than BIG EAST level of competition. Tyrod Taylor from Va Tech was drafted in the 6th round more as a slash-type than a pure QB, and the only other guy that was drafted at QB was Nathan Enderle out of Idaho. 6-5 and a solid frame is the only reason he was drafted. Nassib is 6-2 generously.

As with everyone else, I hope he can make a jump this season and become an All-BE quality QB. But he is not a draftable NFL QB with what we have seen over the last two years.

Ok. So we should praise Ashton for his one throw in the spring game, but when Nassib hits on all his deep balls in the spring game, including a 50 yarder in the air perfectly into Sales' hands, we should ignore it.
Never said we should praise him I think Nassib should start this year I just don't think he is the QB alot of Orange fans hype him up to be. Either way I hope Nassib does blow up because it means we most likely had a great season. Even you have to admit a deep ball in a spring game is totally different with Monte's blitz scheme coming at you when we play USC

To go off of this, maybe our defense is much better this year. Is that so hard to believe? If the line and Spruill are in good shape by the beginning of the season we could have a lock down D on our hands

Nassib? Drafted?

You are crazy. 7 TD, 5 INT in last five games against BIG EAST competition. 10 of 22 TD's came against Wake Forest (75th), Rhode Island (1-AA), Toledo (76th) and Tulane (82nd), and take out the WVU game (which if we want to be objective was an absolute aberration) and he had 8 TD's and 5 INT's with a 6.1 yards/attempt average over that span.

Just to indulge you, I took a moment to look back on last year's draft. I can do the same for this year's draft after this weekend if you wish.

Last year, there were 12 QB's that were drafted. The last of which being Greg McElroy of Alabama. In the 7th round.20 TDs, 5 INT, 70.5 completion % in the SEC. Better than Nassib. By a lot.

To review, Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder all went 1st round last year. Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick of Nevada went in the 2nd. No way Nassib is even close to any of these guys.

Ryan Mallett was a stud at Arkansas and dropped to the third because of off the field stuff. TJ Yates, who was a 5th rounder, is 6-4 and passed for 3,400 yards (8.1 YPA) at UNC as a senior. Nassib is 6-2 and passed for 6.4 YPA.

Ricky Stanzi at Iowa was a 5th rounder. 3,000 yards, 25 TDs, 6 INT in the Big Ten. A bit better than BIG EAST level of competition. Tyrod Taylor from Va Tech was drafted in the 6th round more as a slash-type than a pure QB, and the only other guy that was drafted at QB was Nathan Enderle out of Idaho. 6-5 and a solid frame is the only reason he was drafted. Nassib is 6-2 generously.

As with everyone else, I hope he can make a jump this season and become an All-BE quality QB. But he is not a draftable NFL QB with what we have seen over the last two years.

You fail to mention that most of those guys play in a spread offense which greatly inflates their numbers. Nassib plays in a pro-style, knows the terminology, and can make short and medium throws, which are the most important throws to make in the NFL. He also put up his numbers playing behind a terrible O-Line. You put him behind Alabama's O-Line and he puts up numbers better than McElroy.

You fail to mention that most of those guys play in a spread offense which greatly inflates their numbers. Nassib plays in a pro-style, knows the terminology, and can make short and medium throws, which are the most important throws to make in the NFL. He also put up his numbers playing behind a terrible O-Line. You put him behind Alabama's O-Line and he puts up numbers better than McElroy.

As I said, 12 (TWELVE) QB's were drafted. Ryan Nassib is not a Top 12 QB in the nation. He had a 118 Passer Efficiency rating in the BIG EAST. Right behind Tino Sunseri. If your belief is Sunseri should be drafted too, then I think you need your head examined.

I'm pretty much over arguing this point with you.

Continue to believe what you'd like. Come April 2013, if Ryan Nassib's name is called I would absolutely SHOCKED.

As I said, 12 (TWELVE) QB's were drafted. Ryan Nassib is not a Top 12 QB in the nation. He had a 118 Passer Efficiency rating in the BIG EAST. Right behind Tino Sunseri. If your belief is Sunseri should be drafted too, then I think you need your head examined.

I'm pretty much over arguing this point with you.

Continue to believe what you'd like. Come April 2013, if Ryan Nassib's name is called I would absolutely SHOCKED.
Believe what you want, I don't give a . Nassib would get his name called 7th round on Saturday if he didn't come back.

He's the biggest playmaker this team has, and is the future at QB.

If you disagree, you're wrong.

I would like to see him take some snaps to see what he can do. But, I'm not expecting D. McNabb 2.0.

Believe what you want, I don't give a . Nassib would get his name called 7th round on Saturday if he didn't come back.

Not so sure about this. NFL QB's have to hit the long ball as well. Nassib can't do this.

Testy, are we? My goodness. I was merely presenting an argument to refute your quite boisterous claim that Nassib WILL, in FACT, be drafted next year.

Also, Mr. Bold Prediction, are you an NFL scout? Have you played in the NFL before? How much football film and tape have you processed of the candidates for the upcoming NFL Draft?

Me thinks you may want to keep building that skin depth, because if you truly want a job in sports you won't go real far with the know-it-all attitude you reflect on this board.

who else is drafting this saturday besides the NFL??

arena2?? he might make it there.

Oh Lord

The sad thing is I think he has a better chance of being a 7th round pick this year then he does at being drafted next year. It's all about how weak your position is when you come out perfect example Mr. Jones this year. The QB class is really watered down this year however next year's class could be freaking loaded which makes me believe he won't be drafted.

Thats the big question. Does this current O with this current OL give us the best chance at winning vs going Denard Robinson with either Hunt or Broyld? Robinson averaged less than 20 passes per game last year BTW.

Jesus, he's not Denard Robinson. He's the guy from USF with LESS accuracy.

Jesus, he's not Denard Robinson. He's the guy from USF with LESS accuracy.

And how do you know that? If you watched Denard his freshman year, it was one play against Western Michigan and a whole lot of facepalm.

But that experience was invaluable to him becoming
denardsonicnd.jpg

Testy, are we? My goodness. I was merely presenting an argument to refute your quite boisterous claim that Nassib WILL, in FACT, be drafted next year.

Also, Mr. Bold Prediction, are you an NFL scout? Have you played in the NFL before? How much football film and tape have you processed of the candidates for the upcoming NFL Draft?

Me thinks you may want to keep building that skin depth, because if you truly want a job in sports you won't go real far with the know-it-all attitude you reflect on this board.
I have heard from those in the know that scouts think much higher of him than those on the boards. I based what I said earlier on what I was told, I'm not talking out of my ass.

Thanks for the personal shot at the end. I know a lot more about the program than you think and I really appreciate your advice telling me to not be a know it all. I will take it to heart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom