One thing for Saturday vs RI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One thing for Saturday vs RI

one reason we dont tend to dominate teams is we dont get the o or d line play thats required..

I agree upper, O Line and D Line need to dominate, eatsblish the run which will open up the passing game, IF URI sells out to stop the run, receivers need to make plays early.

In addition, our D line should dominate their guys, if they cant we are in HUGE trouble. A guy like Goggins should give these guys fits with this speed, Crume should do damage as well

I'd love to see about 50 carries for 250 yards. I actually enjoy seeing "boring" smash mouth football. It's nice watching an opponent have their will broken and there's nothing they can do about it. I also remember how crappy it felt in 1994 when WVU did that to us (I think they actually had over 400 on the ground).

Agree 100%, these arent even good 1AA teams, go out and demolish this team with good defense, 3 and outs and run the ******* ball down their throats, keep the clock moving and get the F out of there., I dont want to see more than 10-12 passes from Nassib. Like to see 3 running backs and Ant done after the the first half, 10 carries or so.

We have come out so **** poor versus 1AA teams it boggles my mind. I agree with you Jeremy, I expect to be down early, flat and wouldnt surprise to see a very close game

If that kid from Maine catches that ball last year in the first half which would have been a sure TD, who knows? One thing Maine did is throw everything at us and teams lose to 1AA teams all the time, SU needs to get their head out of their arse and come out guns a blazing

IB, you know I love you--but What? Being skeptical is one thing, but you're taking this bad news / half empty thing to unprecedented levels.

I bet we win Saturday 50-14, or something along those lines. There is no doubt in my mind that we come out sharp, put these clowns away early, and get the reserves a significant dose of playing time for the majority of the second half--none whatsoever.

Swear to god I'm not calling you out [we've been cool for a LONG time, so I know you'll take this post in the spirit intended]--but have some faith, IB!

IB, you know I love you--but What? Being skeptical is one thing, but you're taking this bad news / half empty thing to unprecedented levels.

I bet we win Saturday 50-14, or something along those lines. There is no doubt in my mind that we come out sharp, put these clowns away early, and get the reserves a significant dose of playing time for the majority of the second half--none whatsoever.

Swear to god I'm not calling you out [we've been cool for a LONG time, so I know you'll take this post in the spirit intended]--but have some faith, IB!

Good post RF and I agree 50-14 would be ideal but I have to question what you have seen this year and the past two years under Marrone to suggest were going to dominate this team. Under Marrone we have played three 1AA teams and the largest halftime score was 14-0 versus Colgate and we even trailed at half versus Maine. I am certainly not worried about SU winning going away but I fully expect this team to come out flat on one side of the ball and for RI to put up points on this young D.

RF, no problem. I understand. I just havent seen a dominant effort in th first half versus Maine (2x) or Colgate. Colgate had some success running the ball on us as well.
I am really worried about the defense and I have no idea what Marrone was talking about with regard to cramping and conditioning, the defensive secondary looked exhausted in the Wake game Thomas has a smashed jaw but was limping stretching, etc. He was one huge cramp. I didnt see exceptional conditioning...

I expect to be down in the first half, down early and then come back in the second half. I dont think we can dominate anyone in the trenches if we can this would be the team to do it against, my point is don't get cute, run the ball, keep the clock moving and win going away, but I am always leary of these 1AA teams because we play like such for one half. I am not saying that it is indicative of the entire year, it just seems the way things go.

Lets see a vanilla game plan on offense, run the ball 75% of the time and no stupid plays on defense. The Wake game was easily one of the worst defense I have seen form a Shafer coached team, the lack of size up front and menatl mistakes has me concerned, if you make mental mistakes doesn't matter who your opponent is.

Do you remember the Maine game last year, I think if the kid catches that pass which would have no doubt been a TD, we possibly lose that game, it was a huge swing. HUGE. Giufre ( OC at Maine) had our number much of the time

With how hot and humid the dome was for the players in addition to how long the defense was on the field I think it would be unfair to say that this team wasn't in great condition. They outlasted Wake Forest who was steam-rolling us. I agree Marrone wasn't accurate in saying that nobody was cramping, he may not have even noticed who knows. But again, I think it's off-base to say this teams conditioning isn't solid.

I fully expect this team to come out flat on one side of the ball and for RI to put up points on this young D.

Yep. I wouldn't be shocked if we put up 50 and/or win by three touchdowns, but I don't see that defense holding URI to a low point total.

Not claiming that the sky is falling (as it isn't), but our defense was poor on Thursday and I can't imagine it'll be much improved tomorrow. It'll take a few games before they round into form. URI puts up 21 tomorrow, P. Thomas and the young linebackers and corners miss half a dozen tackles, and a loud minority on the board will holler about how awful our defense is.

It's ok. They'll be a good group before the season is over and will win more games than they'll lose for this team.

Yep. I wouldn't be shocked if we put up 50 and/or win by three touchdowns, but I don't see that defense holding URI to a low point total.

Not claiming that the sky is falling (as it isn't), but our defense was poor on Thursday and I can't imagine it'll be much improved tomorrow. It'll take a few games before they round into form. URI puts up 21 tomorrow, P. Thomas and the young linebackers and corners miss half a dozen tackles, and a loud minority on the board will holler about how awful our defense is.

It's ok. They'll be a good group before the season is over and will win more games than they'll lose for this team.

No pass rush and no secondary will do that to you... again just saying in context to the wake game, one has to improve tremendously or the season will be a long one

Good point IB its scary to think about where that game was headed if that Maine player caught that sure touchdown pass, would have put them up 14 I think. Again I dont think anyone is worried about loss tomorrow but with Syracuses history a close game wouldnt be a shocker.

No pass rush and no secondary will do that to you... again just saying in context to the wake game, one has to improve tremendously or the season will be a long one

Right, but let's put this in proper context. Wake might legitimately have the best OL we'll play all year--no exaggeration. We had a bunch of new faces on defense, and tons of inexperience in the two deep to contend with, in addition to injuries and poor play from the secondary from guys who missed significant portions of the preseason. And despite all that, we kept their stud RB in check, despite their QB having his way with us for three quarters.

I'm not making excuses--it was what it was. But I'm willing to bet that [a] the pass rush won't have nearly as much difficulty making plays upfield against Rhode Island's OL as opposed to Wake Forest's, and that we'll see improved play on the defensive side of the ball as a function of our ability to physically dominate.

This is a different team than last year or even two years ago, with more potent offensive potential. I fully believe that it will take 3-4 games for things to really begin snapping into place, but it WILL happen for this team.

With how hot and humid the dome was for the players in addition to how long the defense was on the field I think it would be unfair to say that this team wasn't in great condition. They outlasted Wake Forest who was steam-rolling us. I agree Marrone wasn't accurate in saying that nobody was cramping, he may not have even noticed who knows. But again, I think it's off-base to say this teams conditioning isn't solid.
the cramping started pretty early in the secondary. not a statement about the whole team but it was alarming how quick a couple guys cramped up

the cramping started pretty early in the secondary. not a statement about the whole team but it was alarming how quick a couple guys cramped up

Something to be worried about yes but alarming I'm not sure I would go that far the first game of the year. If it becomes a trend, then yes it would be alarming. At this point it could of been from guys being out the night before drinking a couple beers and that has nothing to do with the S&C staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom