One thing I'd like to see the ACC do... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One thing I'd like to see the ACC do...

Well, than let's hear it then.

The first step would be a survey to assess current beliefs and attitudes to establish just how many people need to be moved how far. How many minds need to be changed?

Then they'd have to develop and test some campaigns to see what appeals actually had an impact. That clicking you don't hear is the taxi meter running on the costs of this little venture.

Then on to implementation. How much reach? How many impressions? How much money to make a dent in the established beliefs and attitudes.

$10 million? $20 million? $50 milllion?

And at the end of this effort, what has been achieved?

$50 million?! Jaysus, I'm talking about changing a tag line, a logo, and some commercials. Not launching New Coke.

You really were in corporate strategy, weren't you. Yeesh.

This might be it in a nutshell and the reason why FSU/Clemson may want out, the complete control by NC and the petty jealousy that goes with it. This conference better find a way to make this whole thing work and start to figure out ways to incorporate all the schools into the process and let this control freak thing go. I believe we might get an example of how things work in the ACC and how they punish NC, if they skate Clemson may not be so happy after what they did to them when they got into trouble.

...and no, it's not add Lousville, is launch an aggressive marketing campaign that brands itself as THE east coast college sports conference. It should mirror what The Genius Larry Scott did for the Pac-12.

It's fine to honor the ACC's roots in the Carolinas, but for a host of reasons they need to embrace their newfound "easterness" over their "southerness".

I agree with this post.

I think the ACC is a very solid looking conference from a marketing standpoint.

And I think, as I did in 2003, that this move is the best thing SU could do for the Football Program.

In 1980 the Dome became a reality and changed the direction of the program.

In 2013 the move to the ACC will become a reality and will once again change the direction of the program.

With an influx of revenue, infrastructure will be enhanced, recruiting will be enhanced and the Orange, with its history, will do quite well in the ACC and nationally.

This might be it in a nutshell and the reason why FSU/Clemson may want out, the complete control by NC and the petty jealousy that goes with it. This conference better find a way to make this whole thing work and start to figure out ways to incorporate all the schools into the process and let this control freak thing go. I believe we might get an example of how things work in the ACC and how they punish NC, if they skate Clemson may not be so happy after what they did to them when they got into trouble.

Can we all just stop with this nonsense. Just. Stop.

In 2003 John Swofford rammed through expansion. Does anyone remember who was against it, then voted against it repeatedly? North Carolina and Duke.

How exactly was the "Carolina Mafia" in control when the two most prominent members of said mafia didn't want any expansion whatsoever.

And now in 2012 you have a league where expansion means 10 of the 14 members, or 71.4% for the math challenged, are not located in the state of North Carolina. And the one member who seemingly extracted what they selfishly wanted out of this latest round of expansion was... Boston College.

This NC-control thing is making me nuts.

$50 million?! Jaysus, I'm talking about changing a tag line, a logo, and some commercials. Not launching New Coke.

You really were in corporate strategy, weren't you. Yeesh.

What you said was "launch an aggressive marketing campaign that brands itself as THE east coast college sports ".

The effort you are suggesting in this "changing a tag line, a logo ..." is way short of that.

You are, however, on to a bigger issue. What should SU do to take advantage of this opportunity? Because the ACC isn't going to bend itelf out of shape to change its position and identity.

Can we all just stop with this nonsense. Just. Stop.

In 2003 John Swofford rammed through expansion. Does anyone remember who was against it, then voted against it repeatedly? North Carolina and Duke.

How exactly was the "Carolina Mafia" in control when the two most prominent members of said mafia didn't want any expansion whatsoever.

And now in 2012 you have a league where expansion means 10 of the 14 members, or 71.4% for the math challenged, are not located in the state of North Carolina. And the one member who seemingly extracted what they selfishly wanted out of this latest round of expansion was... Boston College.

This NC-control thing is making me nuts.

Again, we'll see what they do w/NC and what they did was far worse than Clemson. This is where the bitterness resides not expansion and the things where others have a bit of a say. Hey, I hope you're right and I'll be thrilled if you are.

I agree with this post.

I think the ACC is a very solid looking conference from a marketing standpoint.

And I think, as I did in 2003, that this move is the best thing SU could do for the Football Program.

In 1980 the Dome became a reality and changed the direction of the program.

In 2013 the move to the ACC will become a reality and will once again change the direction of the program.

With an influx of revenue, infrastructure will be enhanced, recruiting will be enhanced and the Orange, with its history, will do quite well in the ACC and nationally.

AHAAA! AHAA. There my fellow Orangeman fans IS THE ISSUE and the challenge.

To what extent is this an opportunity for SU. More revenue? Absolutely.

But what does the University do? How much money does the University need to kick in from the general fund to get the ball rolling even faster? Is there an opportunity to go out to the alumni with a "Help us maximize the entry into the ACC" campaign?

Do they do nothing and just cash the checks? You don't think that there aren't dozens of people on campus with different agendas that are viewing this additional revenue as their opportunity to do what they want to do?

Do they pump up the non-revenue sports? Do we bring back baseball to take advantage of playing in the ACC? We can be in a great baseball conference.

How much do we spend on facilities and on WHAT facilities?

If this is the big recruiting edge that some feel it is, how do we take advantage of that? Where can we most effectively sell this idea that SU is in a much better situation than it was and than our recent competitors are?

What have the academic minds at SU been saying about joining the ACC?

I hope not having BC on an island by itself anymore will help the whole ACC take off and not be a us against them type of infighting/alienating thing. There is just so much potential for the whole conference to grow into something pretty special.

I'd love to see SU work out something w/the Chiefs.

What you said was "launch an aggressive marketing campaign that brands itself as THE east coast college sports ".

The effort you are suggesting in this "changing a tag line, a logo ..." is way short of that.

You are, however, on to a bigger issue. What should SU do to take advantage of this opportunity? Because the ACC isn't going to bend itelf out of shape to change its position and identity.
just what the hell do you think the ACC does or will do??

do you think they run the confederate flag up a flukin pole and salute every morning??

and now that they have conquered the entire eastern seaboard, they will continue salute it and ignore all the new territory???

if a chick gets new tatas, she wears a low cut blouse.

good lord buddy, come on now.

Oh Lord

Try it this way.

To really maximize the opportunity that joining the ACC represents what oes SU have to do? (How can this move to the ACC springboard SU athletics into a new era of competitiveness).

What are the BIG problems??

Basketball ain't broke. JB needs to continue to do what he has been doing for at least our first three seasons in the ACC.

Lacrosse is important relative to our stature in the ACC and it MAY be lagging. Desko needs to pick up the pace. He is facing more and more and more competition in recruiting if only because of the sheer number of alternatives.

The number one problem we face --- the greatest barrier to our taking advantage of this --- is performance and results on the football field. That is a problem that has to be fixed.

An associated problem is football attendance and revenue. Even though we now have more Conference money, we still have tens of thousands of unsold seats. The preferred answer to this is improved performance on the field. Advertising for college sports all over the country is pretty ineffective.

just what the hell do you think the ACC does or will do??

do you think they run the confederate flag up a flukin pole and salute every morning??

and now that they have conquered the entire eastern seaboard, they will continue salute it and ignore all the new territory???

if a chick gets new tatas, she wears a low cut blouse.

good lord buddy, come on now.

Oh Lord

This idea in your head, "They have conquered the entire Eastern seaboard" isn't all that clear to everyone. They, the ACC, are probably thinking about how to maximize it. But that's not a given.

Those tatas are real.

Your vision of the ACC sitting atop the eastern seaboard having conquered it is not a fact

AHAAA! AHAA. There my fellow Orangeman fans IS THE ISSUE and the challenge.

To what extent is this an opportunity for SU. More revenue? Absolutely.

But what does the University do? How much money does the University need to kick in from the general fund to get the ball rolling even faster? Is there an opportunity to go out to the alumni with a "Help us maximize the entry into the ACC" campaign?

Do they do nothing and just cash the checks? You don't think that there aren't dozens of people on campus with different agendas that are viewing this additional revenue as their opportunity to do what they want to do?

Do they pump up the non-revenue sports? Do we bring back baseball to take advantage of playing in the ACC? We can be in a great baseball conference.

How much do we spend on facilities and on WHAT facilities?

If this is the big recruiting edge that some feel it is, how do we take advantage of that? Where can we most effectively sell this idea that SU is in a much better situation than it was and than our recent competitors are?

I would have to believe that the decision to go to the ACC reflects the Administration's committment to the Football Program.

I suspect that that committment will reveal itself with additional investment in infrastructure, coaches salaries etc.

I'm not worried about the Administration taking money from the program - what happened in the mid-1990s. At least I hope that does not happen.

*sigh*

Context is a beautiful thing. "Aggresive" in context of what collegiate sports conferences do for marketing. Not what McDonald's does to debut a new sandwich.

But you knew that, having spent all those years around advertising.

*sigh*

Context is a beautiful thing. "Aggresive" in context of what collegiate sports conferences do for marketing. Not what McDonald's does to debut a new sandwich.

But you knew that, having spent all those years around advertising.

The McRib is coming back?