One thing I'd like to see the ACC do... | Syracusefan.com

One thing I'd like to see the ACC do...

Scooch

Living Legend
...and no, it's not add Lousville, is launch an aggressive marketing campaign that brands itself as THE east coast college sports conference. It should mirror what The Genius Larry Scott did for the Pac-12.

It's fine to honor the ACC's roots in the Carolinas, but for a host of reasons they need to embrace their newfound "easterness" over their "southerness".

I think it would have to be a fine line to walk because of the passion some of the southern schools (FSU/VT/Clemson) show for football. Easternizing this could also be its demise as I'd venture a guess that VT would beg the SEC to let it in. The ACC can not lose any of those 3 schools.

I think it would have to be a fine line to walk because of the passion some of the southern schools (FSU/VT/Clemson) show for football. Easternizing this could also be its demise as I'd venture a guess that VT would beg the SEC to let it in. The ACC can not lose any of those 3 schools.

I disagree with that. I think Scooch is 100% right about the Pac12 analogy. There are billions of displaced northerners in the mid south and south. Emphasizing the full East Coast brand would help even further to accelerate the development of rivalries between the schools, even in those southern areas. One needs only to look at the footprint of the expanded ACC to see how logical it is geographically. (Not that that is the end all.)

Oh I agree that the fan/alum base is up and down the coast but the thinking of those 3 schools may not be one of logic but the passion to keep their southern identity, especially VT and Clemson. It is the Atlantic coast and not southern atlantic coast, I get that...I just don't think those schools do.

I disagree with that. I think Scooch is 100% right about the Pac12 analogy. There are billions of displaced northerners in the mid south and south. Emphasizing the full East Coast brand would help even further to accelerate the development of rivalries between the schools, even in those southern areas. One needs only to look at the footprint of the expanded ACC to see how logical it is geographically. (Not that that is the end all.)

Agree with you (and Scooch). Even FSU, Clemson would know that putting anything "southeast" in their marketing strategy isn't a good idea. No matter how good they might feel about themselves, can't battle the giant who has won the last 427 national championships.

ACC still stretches from Boston to Miami, but has more points in between closer to the Boston side. They are the Eastern conference and should brand itself that way. I wouldn't worry about North Carolina. If the Carolina schools wanted the league to be known as the Carolina based league they would have never voted SU and Pitt in as they did. They still have a power position in the league, but they also know there's a bigger picture out there.

Have I mention lately how thrilled I am that we're in the ACC?

Understood, but it's not like those schools have ties to the Carolina mafia. That's really what I mean. There's no reason that the ACC can't promote football and east coast. There's no law that says football has to be paired with southern, the Big Ten, Big XII and Pac-12 seem to have done juts fine on that front.

I guess if we see a Confederate flag in the new ACC logo, then we'll know.

Honestly, I don't really care that much, I think the ACC is much more stable than people are giving it credit. Just the fact that we will be playing Miami, Florida St and BC in football again is awesome, and Duke/UNC in basketball is worth it.

...and no, it's not add Lousville, is launch an aggressive marketing campaign that brands itself as THE east coast college sports conference. It should mirror what The Genius Larry Scott did for the Pac-12.

It's fine to honor the ACC's roots in the Carolinas, but for a host of reasons they need to embrace their newfound "easterness" over their "southerness".
good lord i would hope 'the south finally conquering the north' was part of the thought process.

you could do a nice campaign showing people in school gear all heading to the beach, going deep sea drinking...i mean fishing or just out boating...up and down the ATLANTIC. very cool indeed.

Oh Lord

No offense, but the name is THE ATLANTIC COAST conference and last time I checked that was the east coast.

They should promote their easterness as a conference and keep the north-south pride within the conference.

N-S Divisions would drive that home, but that's apparently a non-starter. Can still look at where the teams come from that are in/win the conference championship games.

Yeah, I have concern that they actually will do this. I know people want to see UConn or RU die, but I support adding them and then splitting up into two geographically divided divisions. It just would make the most sense, IMO, from a marketing/TV standpoint. And it would make me feel much more comfortable that we won't be a fish out of water in a conference that still views itself as largely southern. And they should be worried about my opinions on things, obviously.

Agreed. Being SEC-lite hasn't worked. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Smart...but bet that doesn't happen. Longtime chancellor pride being the biggest reason I bet. Also, will be tough for so many schools to think time zone versus their relationship with Mason-Dixon line, IMO.

But if I'm running marketing or whatever, here's what I'd propose to the ACC:

* Annoint a consistent weekend in September billed "East vs West" and have ACC teams play Pac-12 teams in football. Obviously, a hoops challeneg could work in December as well.

* Media day in NYC. That alone says it.

* Have it's schools tackle a united chairtable project tied to protecting the Atlantic Ocean or beach erosion. Tackle it from the academic side,

* Install pee troughs in all stadiums, no matter, to simulate the long eastern seaboard. Yes. I said that as I am pro-pee trough. No, I am not completely serious...just a damn dreamer.

Smart...but bet that doesn't happen. Longtime chancellor pride being the biggest reason I bet. Also, will be tough for so many schools to think time zone versus their relationship with Mason-Dixon line, IMO.

But if I'm running marketing or whatever, here's what I'd propose to the ACC:

* Annoint a consistent weekend in September billed "East vs West" and have ACC teams play Pac-12 teams in football. Obviously, a hoops challeneg could work in December as well.

* Media day in NYC. That alone says it.

* Have it's schools tackle a united chairtable project tied to protecting the Atlantic Ocean or beach erosion. Tackle it from the academic side,

* Install pee troughs in all stadiums, no matter, to simulate the long eastern seaboard. Yes. I said that as I am pro-pee trough. No, I am not completely serious...just a damn dreamer.
there is only 1 CONFERENCE on the EASTERN SEABOARD that matters.

and thats the ATLANTIC Coast Conference.

market it as such.

15 years from now kids will look at the bigeast and mock it like its the a10...or the maac.

I LUV THE ACC!!

LETS GO ORANGE!!!

Oh Lord

together with the southerness. it will never be over the southerness. it has to play the academic card of worthiness to pull it off which is common ground, go beyond the sports to a academic consortium. find ways to blend the cultures as they are very different. for example what can su do to welcome acc to a game in the dome? offer some southern hospitality,foods etc. get the local merchants,hotels etc. on board
to expect them to favor the easterness over the southerness is rediculous.enhance the cultural diversity and make it work for you not against---very different situation from the pac 12

displaced northerners does not compute with the passion the south has for football that the displaced northerners do not necessarily have, although less clemson and fsu,the acc is less rabid than the rest of the south, and i dare say a lot more sophiticated.

Do you have any idea of what something like that would cost?

I have a suspicion that he does.

Well, than let's hear it then.

The first step would be a survey to assess current beliefs and attitudes to establish just how many people need to be moved how far. How many minds need to be changed?

Then they'd have to develop and test some campaigns to see what appeals actually had an impact. That clicking you don't hear is the taxi meter running on the costs of this little venture.

Then on to implementation. How much reach? How many impressions? How much money to make a dent in the established beliefs and attitudes.

$10 million? $20 million? $50 milllion?

And at the end of this effort, what has been achieved?

Do you have any idea of what something like that would cost?
probably the same it would cost any conf to do their 2012-13 marketing.

Well, than let's hear it then.

The first step would be a survey to assess current beliefs and attitudes to establish just how many people need to be moved how far. How many minds need to be changed?

Then they'd have to develop and test some campaigns to see what appeals actually had an impact. That clicking you don't hear is the taxi meter running on the costs of this little venture.

Then on to implementation. How much reach? How many impressions? How much money to make a dent in the established beliefs and attitudes.

$10 million? $20 million? $50 milllion?

And at the end of this effort, what has been achieved?
What? who gives a shlit??

change. the. ads.

done.

let the southern folk think what they want, position yourself as the eastern seaboard conf, which they ARE.

this is crazy.

probably the same it would cost any conf to do their 2012-13 marketing.

Are other conferences trying to change their "position" as was suggested? Their identity? Or are they just pumping up individual match ups and the overall "excellence" of their conferences?

Hardly the same thing from a marketing perspective.

I guess the pitch is "We used to be Southern ... but we aren't just Southern any more. We added BC, SU and Pitt. We're now everybody on the East Coast's conference"

And after hearing this rather tenuous argument enough times the masses begin to believe it is true? And they are going to have to hear it a whole bunch of times because the logic of it isn't winning a lot of people over after they hear it once.

I think the PAC whatever they are added mountains to their logo.

Swofford needs to add the Empire State Building to the ACC's logo.