One trick pony outside shooters | Syracusefan.com

One trick pony outside shooters

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
They are scattered all across the college basketball landscape. Go watch any mid major play and you can see three or four such dudes on each team.

Its obvious we could have a couple dudes like this if we wanted. But we dont offer them.

Why? Because they are limited as zone defenders? Because they are limited in facilitating others offensive games?

WHO CARES. Im not talking about offerring one of these dudes and then playing him 30 minutes a game, but JHC, he could play 10 or 15 and keep defenses somewhat honest.

I look at Cooney and I wonder what he even is. His shot is frankly ugly. I dont care what his high school numbers may have been, but that form does not yell "im gonna be a money shooter at the next level" to me.

I guess my point is for our "designated shooter recruits" I'd rather recruit a guy with one trick than a guy with the potential to offer much more but also a lower floor.

The problem starts at he top... JB recruits for his zone first and offense second. To compound this further JB allocates playing time based on his zone first and offense second. It would have been really inserting to see what Mookie's role wood have been on this team because he is definiely one of those one-trick pony shooters you reference. I wonder if JB would have been forced to swallow his tongue and play him.

Other problem is our motion offense... Our players need to be orced to pass to the post at least once every possession. There are some very proven ways to best a zone D yet in the last 15 years I can't think of one SU team which was adept at it.

Sometimes you swing and miss on recruits...it happens. cooney is in over his head...but hopefully he can find a way to contribute in the next 2 years...

Sometimes you swing and miss on recruits...it happens. cooney is in over his head...but hopefully he can find a way to contribute in the next 2 years...
Not sure how you can argue about Cooney's defense and hopefully he finds a way to clear whatever the mental block he has on the offensive end.

Not sure how you can argue about Cooney's defense and hopefully he finds a way to clear whatever the mental block he has on the offensive end.

I think he gives full effort out there..which is more than I can say for a lot of our guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom