Only Two More Wins - Are We In? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Only Two More Wins - Are We In?

We didn't make it in 2007 and we finished the regular season at 10-6 in the BE conference 21-8 overall. We even managed to win one in MSG. Now, the general consensus was that we should have made it but my point is if that team didn't make it this team won't make it with anything less than 9-9 conference record.

We didn't make it in 2007 and we finished the regular season at 10-6 in the BE conference 21-8 overall. We even managed to win one in MSG. Now, the general consensus was that we should have made it but my point is if that team didn't make it this team won't make it with anything less than 9-9 conference record.
That's an interesting method you're using.

The "SNUB" will never forget that year, worst Committee decision EVER...

Two years ago I was sure we were out when we lost 5 of 6 games including to Florida State in the first round of the ACC tournament. But we were in.

Last year I felt that we were in when Gillon's shot went through the net against Duke. Then we got blown out at Louisville. But we blew out Georgia Tech, a team that had beaten us before, behind White's 40 points. The should have clinched it. Then we lost to Miami in the ACC tourney. And we weren't in.

Which means I have no idea what would put us in this year.

jwb.jpg

Last edited:

Interesting. So hard and probably unrealistic to compare two different teams (10 years ago) in two different leagues now. I will say that probably our OOC did us in that year. Our OOC was garbage. L to Wichita St (before they were quite the mid-major powerhouse) in the Dome. A loss I think to Oklahoma St at MSG. Then I think was the weird Baylor game where Baylor finally caught a flight the day of the game to Syracuse but left their jerseys either in Waco or at a previous airport? We won that game but hardly any accomplishment.

I agree we got snubbed in 2007. That being said, off the top of my head, without looking ,our SOS is much better this year. I think in 2007 our best OOC win may have been at Canisius, at least on the road. I remember Gottlieb giving JB a hard time in an interview after we got snubbed.

Scenario:

Lose to UNC 18-10 - 7-8
Lose to Duke 18-11 - 7-9
Win @ BC 19-11 - 8-9
Lose to Clem 19-12 - 8-10
Win one game in ACCT 20-12 - 8-10

Pretty sure we would be in...
Of course it would be nice to win more of them but trying to be realistic here..

If we can somehow squeeze in, I think we can be a second weekend team. Give me a team that plays good D, plays hard and rebounds the basketball over a team that relies on their O any day of the week.

We also have to have good O from Battle, Howard and Brissett and contributions from the others (easier said than done, I know)...

It would also help if we could avoid the 8-9 seed line...

If we can somehow squeeze in, I think we can be a second weekend team. Give me a team that plays good D, plays hard and rebounds the basketball over a team that relies on their O any day of the week.

We also have to have good O from Battle, Howard and Brissett and contributions from the others (easier said than done, I know)...

The committee would never put SU on the 8-9 line as the 1 seed would have a fit.

You can never compare year-to-year resumes because every year is different. Not only does the bubble fluctuate , but the committee changes their emphasis almost every year. But anyone looking at last year and thinking we were in a spot than we are now - don't worry, because it's really not even close.

Last year we finished 18-14, this year we're already 18-9. We did finish 10-8 in the ACC, but to me the difference between 10-8 in conference and 8-10 is moot because of the unbalanced. I don't think conference record matters unless you have a drastic situation where you were 13-0 out of conference but 6-12 in conference. I think if we get to 8 conference wins (which is 1 more win than we have now) we will be in the conversation, but the more the better.

Last year's metrics were horrible RPI of 84, Non-Conf RPI of 188, SOS of 64, Non-Conf SOS of 215. This year we sit with an RPI of 38, Non-Conf RPI of 16, SOS of 27 and Non-Conf SOS of 21. Last year's metrics measured like a team that shouldn't have even been close to the bubble, this year's is much more worthy - and it's not even close. And our metrics will improve this year if you look at our remaining schedule, as long as we don't lose out..

We went 2-8 away from the Dome last year with no "good" wins (unless you count NC STate, a team that did not make the tournament, not even close). As of today we are 5-5 away from home. And if you go strictly by RPI, 2 of our top 3 wins are on the road. A far cry from last year.

Now, we get to the 1 reason that people wanted us in last year (frankly there were no other viable reasons) - we had 3 top 25 wins, all at home. We finished 6-8 vs. the top 50 which is a lot of top 50 games. Conversely, this year we are currently 2-5 vs. the top 50 RPI (Louisville sits at 51 and VaTech at 55). Our best win still stands as Buffalo based strictly on the RPI. However, with the introduction of the Quadrant system, the Miami win and Louisville win (if they get to the top 50) should be the same as a top 25 home win. So while it might not have the glitz and glamour that those 3 top 25 wins did, it should be viewed similar to the committee. Oh, we also have 3 games left vs. top 10 RPI teams, 2 on the road.

I hate comparing years, but last year USC got in with 2 top 50 wins - but they had an RPI of 40, non-conf RPI of 9, SOS of 75 and non-conf SOS of 140 while finishing 6-5 on the road. Wake had 3 top 50 wins but RPI of 39 and SOS of 21/15 while going 6-8 on the road. Our resume compares much better to those "last 4 in" teams last year than it does to ours - which is obviously a good thing.

The metrics are on our side, we won't have anymore bad losses (BC is still top 100 RPI and it's on the road) assuming we don't lose Day 1 of the ACCT. I feel pretty confident that 2 more regular season wins will be enough.

Plus we have a strong backcourt where the players are 6-5 and 6-6. Connecticut 2014?

Forza, I wouldn't worry too much about this scenario (although it sure would be a nice problem to have, wouldn't it?)

Every year is different. What’s not good enough one year might be good enough the next. We’re competing against 2018’s field, not 2007’s. It will depend on both what we do and what the other teams do. We still have a chance to play our way in. Just win games.

Last year's snub was easy to understand. 18 wins, 14 losses on selection Sunday. Losses to St. Johns by 33 points at home, Georgetown by 7 at home, UConn -- none of which came close to making the tournament. Loss to Wisconsin by 17. Loss to BC by 15. Losses to GT and Pitt.

The resume of this year's team is so much better than last year's team. Not one blow-out loss in my opinion, although the 2nd UVA game comes close. If the team can go 2-2 in the final 4 games they should be in. We moved up quite a bit in Lunardi's bracketology by going 1-1 last week. 2 victories over solid teams, 3 of which will be in the tournament, will be hard to dismiss. Beating BC in their home will also be a creditable victory. And it would be nice to FINALLY win a game in the ACC tournament.

Agree with most of these takes. Yes, to be in virtually all of these games with such a thin and inexperienced roster is quite something. With players playing out of position again as well. Hats off to the players and coaches.

Yeah, last year’s team gave up in many games. All those routs were a joke and every damn game we were getting dunked on and posterized galore. It was a damn embarrassment and those three big wins meant very little to my or the committee’s I bet eyes since there was so much poor play throughout the season. Nothing remotely like that with these current guys.

Last edited:
Agree with most of these takes. Yes, to be in virtually all of these games with such a thin and inexperienced roster is quite something. With players playing out of position again as well. Hats off to the players and coaches.

Yeah, last year’s team gave up in many games. All those routs were a joke and every damn game we were getting dunked on and posterized galore. It was a damn embarrassment. Nothing remotely like that with these guys.
Agreed. When last year's team wanted to give max effort, they were so much fun to watch. It seemed like they fed off the energy of the home crowd and it led them to 3 big wins. But when the crowd wasn't super into it or they were on the road, they often laid eggs.

I think if last years team played this years team and they both played their best game, I'd take last year's team in a close one mostly because of the depth and the different scoring weapons - however, this years team would be able to score but last year's team had more shot makers. But if they played 10 times? I think this year's team wins 6 because of the defense and rebounding.

Scenario:

Lose to UNC 18-10 - 7-8
Lose to Duke 18-11 - 7-9
Win @ BC 19-11 - 8-9

Of course it would be nice to win more of them but trying to be realistic here..

probably, but would feel real secure with one more win.

I think we go 2 and 2 in these games. If we can snipe off one of UNC or Duke, that would be AWESOME

still think we beat clemson

I think we go 2 and 2 in these games. If we can snipe off one of UNC or Duke, that would be AWESOME

still think we beat clemson
Coach K has said Duke will play much more zone for the rest of the season. IMHO bad for SU.

I have less confidence in beating Duke than I do the other 3. UNC is hot right now and with Berry, Johnson, Williams, and even Maye, all of whom shoot 36% or better from beyond the 3-point line, they can light it up from long distance. But in the past they have killed us from inside and they don't have that firepower this year. Hopefully playing in the Dome will affect their long-range shooting. I'd hate to go into the last 2 games needing in all likelihood to win both to get to the tournament.

I looked up last year's game at NC and UNC shot 29% (7-24) from 3. Meeks, Hicks, Maye, and Jackson went 27-44 with only Jackson (2-8) hitting from 3. All I can say is I doubt they will win that way this year.

Last edited:
Scenario:

Lose to UNC 18-10 - 7-8
Lose to Duke 18-11 - 7-9
Win @ BC 19-11 - 8-9

Don't see how we're in with the results you listed.

UCONN going belly up hurts the overall picture but we had an ok ooc schedule.. Hope springs eternal. ACC, imo is the toughest conference overall, could get 10 teams in.
Right now it looks like Louisville and Cuse would love to hear that...2-2 in regular season I think is enough.

Of course we have been that the bridesmaid numerous times as the first time not invited.

The other conferences always want Syracuse out because they are so prepared and dangerous and will be ready to make a run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom