Opinion: 34,616 > 35,012 | Syracusefan.com

Opinion: 34,616 > 35,012

Jeremy L.

2018 Iggy Regular Season Record Winner
Not just the outcome, but the overall atmosphere. Two top ten teams in the Dome, College Gameday, primtime game on ESPN. This video is so simple, yet always gives me goosebumps watching it.

For all of the stories we hear about fans wanting others to sit down and not be obnoxiously loud, this game threw all of those things out of the window. I remember after the first SU basket, nobody sat down. The crowd was unbelievable that night.

This past Saturday, my section (214) would hardly stand up. I know at one point Syracuse was down 6 in the second half and it was a big defensive possession for us. Nobody in 214 stood. It amazes me that for one of the biggest games in a long time, the crowd wasn't that into it.

God, 2010 was a special year.

Incredible night. Although I don't believe we were ever down in the 2nd half. First half we trailed for a bit.

I'm with you. I sit in 105. I was expecting to stand the whole game. Was very disappointed when people sat down after the first basket. We did not take full advantage of our home court crowd.

Agree that the 2010 game had a better atmosphere and it wasn't just due to the outcome. A few factors, I think: In 2010 we hadn't had a really top team for several years and it came out of nowhere - this year we were top 10 from the start and it seems kind of disappointing; if I remember we were ranked 3 or 4 at the time and all the teams ahead of us lost earlier in the day, so it turned out we were playing for our first number 1 ranking in ages; 9:00 start vs. 4:00 - says it all.

And I agree, 2010 was special.

Not just the outcome, but the overall atmosphere. Two top ten teams in the Dome, College Gameday, primtime game on ESPN. This video is so simple, yet always gives me goosebumps watching it.

For all of the stories we hear about fans wanting others to sit down and not be obnoxiously loud, this game threw all of those things out of the window. I remember after the first SU basket, nobody sat down. The crowd was unbelievable that night.

This past Saturday, my section (214) would hardly stand up. I know at one point Syracuse was down 6 in the second half and it was a big defensive possession for us. Nobody in 214 stood. It amazes me that for one of the biggest games in a long time, the crowd wasn't that into it.

God, 2010 was a special year.

Much different game style between the 2 games.

The game against Villanova was a high scoring game. 95 points and we had 6 guys in double figures. Lots to cheer about.

This game was like watching my neighbor paint his house in 90 degree heat. After basically losing my voice in the first half I dont think I even got excited one time in the second half. It was painful.

I'm with you. I sit in 105. I was expecting to stand the whole game. Was very disappointed when people sat down after the first basket. We did not take full advantage of our home court crowd.

Exactly. The Dome has the reputation for being one of the toughest places to play in the country. In 2010, I've never seen anything like that at college basketball game. But when people sit on their hands and only cheer when directed by the cheerleaders, it's anything but an advantage.

That game in 2010 was still the only game at the Dome I've ever been to. I knew it was going to be special, and it was. Glad to have been there.

Exactly. The Dome has the reputation for being one of the toughest places to play in the country. In 2010, I've never seen anything like that at college basketball game. But when people sit on their hands and only cheer when directed by the cheerleaders, it's anything but an advantage.

Other than the homers who think we are going to come back from any deficit, I knew at 39-31 that we were cooked. I am sure many of the 35,012 also knew this.

I honestly got asked by a lady to sit down DURING the first half under 16 time out. I won’t write what I said back to her. But it was something like... "It’s a f#&*%$ time out"

The funny part is I was in Row U. There was only 1 row behind me.

- 9pm vs. 4pm
- To take over #1
- Team was much more likeable (KJ, Scoop, Wes smiling, Sr in AO)
- Game Day

1) 9pm gametime gives everyone a lot more time to get fitshaced by gametime than a 4pm gametime does.

2) The Villanova game was packed because it was a big game. The Georgetown game was packed because it was a big event. A lot fewer "fans" were at the Georgetown game.

3) Let's be honest, this team is not as good or as exciting as the 2010 team was.

4) Let's be honest, this team didn't give much to cheer about on Saturday.

(I really don't like that #4 excuse because I think you should cheer to help the team as much the team should help you cheer... but it is what it is)

1)

2) The Villanova game was packed because it was a big game. The Georgetown game was packed because it was a big event. A lot fewer "fans" were at the Georgetown game.

Agree on this. Lots of newbies in my section Saturday

BTW, speaking of that 2010 team, I was thinking back to what Pitino said after the Ville came into the dome and beat us that year. Anyone remember him saying something in his press conference like "You guys need to pour a little vino, and relax, because you got a heck of a team this year." I believe he said something to that affect, and when he said it, I was too upset over that loss to even care. Difficult to find a silver lining right after a loss. Reason I bring this up is that I think it's sometimes hard to appreciate things "in the moment." I was just re-watching that 2010 Nova game recently (still have it saved on my DVR), and I found myself thinking "Did I appreciate that team enough?" "Was I too worked up over every game to realize what I was watching"?

Anyone else struggle with this? Maybe during an NIT year 10 years from now, we'll think back on this season and wonder how we could have such meltdowns watching a sweet 16 team.

I don't think the crowd had a major effect on either game. Aside from maybe scaring Taylor King back in the Nova game.

Our home court is unique and impressive, but our advantage due to it is not nearly as big as at some other places.

We will never play at Pitt and say the crowd didn't impact the game.

UNC will never play at Duke and say the crowd didn't impact the game.

Mizzou will never plat at KU and say the crowd didn't impact the game.

Our crowd is big, looks great on TV, and can impress recruits, but they are too far away from the court to really impact the game.

outside of pregame and southerlands 30 footer - the dome was H-----------O----------R---------R-IBLE.

When they announced the official 35,012 and sent the flags around - less than 10% of the people were cheering.

When they announced official 34,616 - the place went bananas.

we knew the attendance for both before the game started - so dont bring that up.

I don't think the crowd had a major effect on either game. Aside from maybe scaring Taylor King back in the Nova game.

Our home court is unique and impressive, but our advantage due to it is not nearly as big as at some other places.

We will never play at Pitt and say the crowd didn't impact the game.

UNC will never play at Duke and say the crowd didn't impact the game.

Mizzou will never plat at KU and say the crowd didn't impact the game.

Our crowd is big, looks great on TV, and can impress recruits, but they are too far away from the court to really impact the game.

I disagree. The dome wasnt a home court advantage on Sat because our offense was boring and nobody was standing/cheering. I blame it on the fans - not the structure.

When they announced the official 35,012 and sent the flags around - less than 10% of the people were cheering.

/quote]
Difference is when they announced it for the Nova game we were up by double digits and the game was basically over.

When they announced it Saturday we were down 8 and the game was also basically over.

I believe that it does boil down to expectations. 2010 it felt as if that team came out of nowhere. We were playing to be #1 in the country. We didn't expect to be #1. It felt like a present we were opening over and over again. You can "forgive" a team if they overperform. Harder to forgive when they underperform according to our own expectations (which may never have been realistic).

Likeability is a huge issue. We LOVED our 2003 team and we loved 2010. Andy, Wes, Scoop and Kris coming from the bench, AO. In 2012 it was hard to like Fab Melo and people were ambivalent about Scoop. (Now, of course, we love him.) Still, with 2012 we knew we could make it to the Final Four. We expected it. Then, shabam! Earthquake city. Again.

This year players haven't been ready. They have disappointed us. We expected everyone to be of such high caliber, and it's frustrating that they're not. But I don't know if we can go back to the time of lowered expectations. Recruiting is excellent, but those high recruits don't always work out. Look at Kentucky. For myself, I try hard to make the most of each moment and each team, flaws and all. Being a fan has to be at least 80% fun for me, or it doesn't work. So, this is not one of my favorite teams. But they're the team I've got, so I'll root for 'em. I still feel lucky to be an Orange fan.

I would expect that any noise made by the last 3 sections on either side of the upper deck can't be heard at all over the noise made by the other sections.

And if you're not making any impact on the sound heard by the players on the court- as a crowd- you are not impacting the game.

outside of pregame and southerlands 30 footer - the dome was H-----------O----------R---------R-IBLE.

we knew the attendance for both before the game started - so dont bring that up.

The Nova game we were winning, and the outcome was pretty much decided, and it was just a matter of celebrating and enjoying the final minutes of what had been an awesome performance and a fun game to watch.

The GTown game we were losing, and however many we were down...it was over. Being down 10 in that game, is like being down 20 in a normal game. Nobody is in the mood of cheering the attendance when they just watched one of the worst, least enjoyable basketball games ever played, and we're down to the final minutes and about to lose.

1) 9pm gametime gives everyone a lot more time to get fitshaced by gametime than a 4pm gametime does.

3) Let's be honest, this team is not as good or as exciting as the 2010 team was.

4) Let's be honest, this team didn't give much to cheer about on Saturday.

(I really don't like that #4 excuse because I think you should cheer to help the team as much the team should help you cheer... but it is what it is)

We tailgated before that game on the quad in front of the Saltine Warrior. A couple cases of Keystones, a grill, and some brats.

BTW, speaking of that 2010 team, I was thinking back to what Pitino said after the Ville came into the dome and beat us that year. Anyone remember him saying something in his press conference like "You guys need to pour a little vino, and relax, because you got a heck of a team this year." I believe he said something to that affect, and when he said it, I was too upset over that loss to even care. Difficult to find a silver lining right after a loss. Reason I bring this up is that I think it's sometimes hard to appreciate things "in the moment." I was just re-watching that 2010 Nova game recently (still have it saved on my DVR), and I found myself thinking "Did I appreciate that team enough?" "Was I too worked up over every game to realize what I was watching"?

Anyone else struggle with this? Maybe during an NIT year 10 years from now, we'll think back on this season and wonder how we could have such meltdowns watching a sweet 16 team.

Good post. Right there with you - too easy to get caught up being frustrated with shaky play or poor decisions and forget to enjoy a good group.

Disagree. The Dome was crazy loud more than just for James 3. But after that there were so many bad moments ans stretches, the team took our crowd out of it. As to when the attendance was announced, the cheers were different because they do it late in the game and the 2 games were totally different at that point.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Disagree. The Dome was crazy loud more than just for James 3. But after that there were so many bad moments ans stretches, the team took our crowd out of it. As to when the attendance was announced, the cheers were different because they do it late in the game and the 2 games were totally different at that point.

Sent using my Commodore 64

You're 100% right. The crowd was absolutely ready on Saturday. The bars were packed 3-4 hours before the game. People were certainly more than primed going into that game. Unfortunately, 35k+ bore witness to probably the ugliest offensive performance in Dome history. There truly was nothing to cheer for beyond the fast early start. The crowd was never able to impose their will because we literally couldn't do any better than a 4-0 run in the 2nd half. All of these threads about the bad crowd on Saturday are nuts.

Going more than 8 minutes without a FG (in the first half) will take the life out of any crowd. Except for the first 3 minutes and the last 3 minutes of the 1st half there was nothing to cheer. I looked at the stats at halftime and knew we were in deep trouble. GT shot 24% and they were up almost the whole half. I said if Southy doesn't get red hot in the 2nd half we're cooked because there is no interior offense, BT was having one of his games he can't make anything, and MCW looked lost. GT made a 3 pt shot on their first possession of the 2nd half, got the lead and the game just got worse from there.

not fair to compare saturday to 2010. if the game vs nova was as ugly as saturday was theres no way the crowd would have been as great. and it works the other way too, if we blew out gtown the dome would have been rockin the entire game. i wasnt at the 2010 game but was at saturdays game. i get drunk and pretty loud at games and the ugliness of the game even took me out of it. that crowd was ready on saturday, the flow and uglyness of the game just refused to let us get into it other than the hot start.