Opportunity Vs. Manhattan to make Fixes | Syracusefan.com

Opportunity Vs. Manhattan to make Fixes

arbitragegls

All Conference
After 3 games...two of which were exhibitions...here is what I see as areas to improve for 'Cuse to be a final 4 team:

1. Half court offensive flow is poor. No passes into the paint...if this continues we are going to be hurt by good parimeter defense by opponents
2. Too much one-one play...yes Dion is a scorer; KJ too; but their baskets are being made one-one...not saying bad...just saying no flow...# assists to baskets...
3. Scoop has not looked like a good lead guard...he seems lethargic or sleep walking...thought I would never say this...but Scoop seems to throw one pass and then get out of way...he needs to be set up man...JB should instill a four pass rule before a shot...and work ball inside-out
4. Triche needs to find the basket...30% shooting is not good...if he is to be the two guard he needs to do more scoring on less shots
5. Overall team has not shown a winning % on FTs...that will cost us wins if not fixed
6. We should be dominating on rebounding and we are not...Triche should not be lead rebounder
7. Terrific depth...but there is little flow and continuity on the floor...if we keep substituting to degree we are doing...then I recommend a two squad group...run both groups as much or little as needed...but then each squad practices and plays with teammates they know very well...not sure inserting two at a time is a good thing as each player has positives and flaws...let them play with those who know them best...And...I do not care with this depth level which is five guy squads

We should be able to get a subsitution pattern flow eventually. It may take time but we have to be deeper than 7.5 this year. Most teams are, we'll be fine.

Dion should start. Period. Reward player for their hard work and production on the court. With Dion in the starting lineup I dare you to find a starting 5 thats better. You can say Kentucky etc are equal but you cant say they are better than Scoop/Dion/KJo/Xmas/Melo. That is a sick lineup with NBA size. Two go to scorers in KJo and Dion. A downlow presence in Melo and (Xmas showed me something against Fordham, maybe he wont just be a rebounding/defense guy this year), with a veteran pg in Scoop. Bring Triche/Fair/Baye/MCW/Southerland off the bench.

I dont care about bringing a scorer off the bench. Dion has shown hes not Jamal Crawford and has the ability to play within the team, give him a chance. That starting lineup makes me think we can win a National Championship...the one with Triche in it, doesnt.

my concern is Scoop more than Triche...I would like to see Waiters start and I would try Triche at Point guard...or as you say, team Scoop and Waiters and Triche and MCW...believe that rotation gets you the better chemistry and play...would not care who starts as long as both rotations get equal minutes

We should be able to get a subsitution pattern flow eventually. It may take time but we have to be deeper than 7.5 this year. Most teams are, we'll be fine.

Dion should start. Period. Reward player for their hard work and production on the court. With Dion in the starting lineup I dare you to find a starting 5 thats better. You can say Kentucky etc are equal but you cant say they are better than Scoop/Dion/KJo/Xmas/Melo. That is a sick lineup with NBA size. Two go to scorers in KJo and Dion. A downlow presence in Melo and (Xmas showed me something against Fordham, maybe he wont just be a rebounding/defense guy this year), with a veteran pg in Scoop. Bring Triche/Fair/Baye/MCW/Southerland off the bench.

I dont care about bringing a scorer off the bench. Dion has shown hes not Jamal Crawford and has the ability to play within the team, give him a chance. That starting lineup makes me think we can win a National Championship...the one with Triche in it, doesnt.

We're playing 9 guys this year - Melo & Keita at C; Xmas, KJo and Fair at F; Scoop, Triche, Dion at G, and then either Southie or MCW for the 9 spot, depending on player development and opponent/situation.

can't disagree with anything you said
arbitrage. I liked the energy the "2nd 5" brought to the table when they played together last night. That unit could beat many big east teams and would probably play the starters pretty even as well. I would like to see us try that a bit more. If the starters aren't bringing it to start the game you could either give the second team an extended chance to turn things around or if the starters are doing well, then the 2nd team just spells them for 4 or 5. Many will say this is a crazy idea but with this team our parts are pretty much all interchangeable especially if we see
continued growth in JS. I worry a little like you do that too much one or two in and out will result in a lack of chemistry. it will be fun to see how JB handles this this year.

Abitrage...I agree with all of your points 1-6, except for 7, the substitution pattern. I think JB is more of a situation substitution guy. Someone isn't doing the job he yanks him. Once the tougher games begin that'll probably be his approach.

The half court offense against a decent defensive team definitely has me concerned. We've got to hit outside shots with some consistency or offset it by developing an inside game and they haven't impressed me getting the ball inside.

Not seeing the rhythm and flow a decent half court offense needs...yet. Scoop if he's the PG has to step it up.

my concern is Scoop more than Triche...I would like to see Waiters start and I would try Triche at Point guard...or as you say, team Scoop and Waiters and Triche and MCW...believe that rotation gets you the better chemistry and play...would not care who starts as long as both rotations get equal minutes
Triche at point guard is something that should rarely happen. We saw that movie before -- just too slow.
And I like Triche. He hustled his butt off in the Fordham game. Wasn't shooting well, but he was in the mix for rebounds, worked on defense, made a nice little pull-up that should be part of his game every night, and finished well on a feed from Scoop. But both Scoop and MCW are better at the point, and even with a Brandon-Dion pairing, I would want Brandon as the off-guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom