Orange Iron Curtain | Syracusefan.com

Orange Iron Curtain

AngryOtto

All Conference
First time poster but avid reader. I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were about all the secretiveness surrounding the program (recruiting, coaching, player personnel etc.)

First time poster but avid reader. I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were about all the secretiveness surrounding the program (recruiting, coaching, player personnel etc.)
I don't think much of it, because it's par for the course at this level of college football.

I'm fine with it - until all staff hires are made. I think it's a very easy thing to talk about and should be a positive. See no need to be secretive about why he likes the new hires.

first rule of the orange iron curtain is...

giphy.gif

Think you have to seperate recruiting from other aspects of the program since there are different risks associated with recruiting. The coaches have to keep things quiet because of NCAA restrictions.

I hate the dearth of information and wish we got Dino in a room with a syringe of sodium pentothal at least once a month. But I realize I'm hopelessly obsessed and it's what makes digging around here so juicy. You dig and dig for one juicy little detail.

Isn't it better that coaches are busy working rather than trying to placate people who need to get a life.:)

I have an opinion. But I’m not allowed to express it.

To clarify. My question was more designed to determine if people thought the lack of information would affect the excitement of the general fan base overall. The posters on this site seem to be die hard fans that are going to follow and support the team whether there is information provided or not.
There was a lot of excitement going into last season. I know that had a lot to do with the 10-3 season but I also feel other things the school did like the spring game activities, the preseason videos and other information provided excited to the overall fan base. I’m wondering now whether the 5-7 record coupled with the information black out could turn off a number of the general fan base which could possibly have a negative impact on the overall program.
Now myself and I’m sure others on the site will be cheering on the team no matter what. I was just wondering how other fans on the site that seem to have knowledge of the program thought.
If you think that it will not have an impact or do not care about the general fan base that’s okay. I was just trying get some thoughts from knowledgeable fans on the issue.

I wouldn't call it an information blackout. The only word on recruits we ever get from the coaching staff is an additional orange emoji when a recruit commits. No one has verballed in awhile., so no new info. Regarding coaches, I'd imagine they are waiting until they get all their ducks in a row before making any kind of announcement. I don't see any of that impacting the fairweather fans. Spring game has not been a big deal in the Babers era. As far as the videos go, I believe they came out in August. 10-3 was the reason for the excitement and anticipation leading into last year. 5-7 definitely tempers expectations as well as season ticket sales.

Might have been a good year to not go bowling and have extra practices even if we didn't make moves until January. Not to mention curbing interest in Dino.

OL grad transfer from Florida is a huge get for us.

Any chance Trishton Jackson can change his mind and return or is he officially gone and signed with a parasite I mean agent?

OL grad transfer from Florida is a huge get for us.

Any chance Trishton Jackson can change his mind and return or is he officially gone and signed with a parasite I mean agent?

I think he signed with an agent

Nothing helps more with fan excitement than winning. Look at how many bandwagon fans jumped aboard in 2018. That is the ULTIMATE driver of fan participation and interest. Everything else falls after.

As for Dino and running a tight-lipped ship, that is indeed par for the course in college football. Recruiting is a cut-throat business and these coaches are incredibly fearful that one of their peers will be able to gain a competitive edge over them if they have certain information at hand. Some of it is probably blown out of proportion, but they're also correct in being hyper-cautious at times as well.

Unless you're a big booster or have some form of insider contact, it's hard to gain knowledge of the inner doings of the team/personnel. There's ALWAYS loose lips, though...

The secretiveness is not unique to SU or Dino. However I would like to see Dino have a nice recruiting event on signing day for STHs/donors and also an open practice/scrimmage for them. I'm not a huge donor or even live locally, so I wouldn't be able to attend, but it's important to show love to those who support the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom