Orange jerseys are coming | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Orange jerseys are coming

They scream Syracuse to old-timers. They scream old to everyone under 20.

And I like the old school look - and yes I'm 35+
Wow. The 18 year-olds going to Alabama must be freaking out.
o-ALABAMA-FOOTBALL-facebook.jpg

To me, these scream old AND Alabama. Nothing wrong with that (although at least half the board disagrees with that sentiment).

orange79 said:
Wow. The 18 year-olds going to Alabama must be freaking out. To me, these scream old AND Alabama. Nothing wrong with that (although at least half the board disagrees with that sentiment).

Look I agree with you and bees on what looks "Syracuse"... And what looks "Alabama"... We can't presume that everyone who puts in the Bama UNI loves it.

Some Unis pay homage to the past - and players understand that. I'm sure that if our kids were wearing Jim Brown throwbacks, they'd get it too. I'm all for that kind of tradition. I'm also open to trying something new, especially since I'm not wearing the thing.

Had we made the playoffs last year, and a couple championships in the past ten wearing these Unis - this look would be what most of our fans would say is "Syracuse"...

Those uniforms were doomed from the start because of the awful release. Maybe if Snickers Giansante had gone 100% on the unveiling- teaser video, better press conference to release them, the orange top/pants available, we'd feel differently.

Instead you got the weekday 2:30 press conference in the mall with those super sweet balloons. They hyped all the combinations in the release, but only 3 versions were displayed. You can still only buy the blue jersey instead of having choices. Instead he was too worried about a trip to NYC where no one carried about them, and then telling that BS about how long it takes to get orange jerseys made despite 3 other Nike schools getting them for 2015.

I will still argue that if SU was going to do something at Destiny they should have had mannequins displaying all the possible combinations, and that they should have set up autograph signings, merchandise and ticket sales in that area for the month that followed. If the goal was to be trendy and flashy, then do it.

It's another example of potential good idea that suffered from half-assed execution.

This whole conversation is insane. This is Syracuse University, it's identity is Orange. If a player doesn't want to go to SU because of the UNI's then they are not about Syracuse and are too self center to be part of the program. SU is a 100 year + university, why should they care what an 18 year old kid thinks? I'm sure Penn State has discussed uni changes because kids like new styles...NOT !!! Let's be Syracuse University and stop changing the identity of who they are...a university with a rich tradition !!!

I think the Orange pants are going to go a long way with the jerseys. The blue was too much. Toss in Orange pants and the jersey will look more Syracuse.

I dont know.. I asked the kids on my sons HS teams and while its only 25-30 kids they pretty much all hated everything we saw last year and love the older stuff. isnt there a reason clothes trend but some styles last? kids like change, something that stands out, but in 5 years when the 5th new thing is out they wont even remember what they liked. adults tend to wear stuff , you pick a style of jeans and wear them for 20 years. kids pick out a new one every year and hate last years style.
I think you have the saying wrong. It's "clothes trend but style lasts", meaning a sense of style, not style of clothes.

This uniform decision has nothing to do with the recruits. It's foolish to suggest it does. It didn't in 1995 and it doesn't in 2015. It's the whim of Nike who Syracuse has sold their soul to.

The key is for whoever the decision maker is on this issue has a real moment of clarity of what the Syracuse Orangemen should look like to the general public. We are truly acting like a lemming program trying to be cool with our futuristic uniforms. It doesn't work for our branding AT ALL.

elimunelson said:
This uniform decision has nothing to do with the recruits. It's foolish to suggest it does. It didn't in 1995 and it doesn't in 2015. It's the whim of Nike who Syracuse has sold their soul to. The key is for whoever the decision maker is on this issue has a real moment of clarity of what the Syracuse Orangemen should look like to the general public. We are truly acting like a lemming program trying to be cool with our futuristic uniforms. It doesn't work for our branding AT ALL.

300 recruits participated in the survey. Almost all said that it wasn't a top consideration, but that it factored into the decision. A recruits Dad on this board said it's something they think about.

In 1995 - crazy uni combos weren't possible. Oregon changed all that.

Our Unis are unique. I don't love them. But we are not a lemming program for trying something new.

Can we just table this till we actually see them. Wrong orange ,too bright, too pale , too orange , numbers suck, needs white. Enough till we actually see them. I never realized every single person on this board was a designer. You old timers like the 90s uniforms because we were winning. Well guess what things change. It's 2015 and the world we live in has company's like Nike that make team uniforms. If you don't like it then find a new team, stop buying Nike,... But Jesus the same old complaints going on the better part of 15 years is getting very old. I honestly don't care if they come out in pink unitards of they win. Enough is enough we have new uniforms embrace the change and move on. Maybe the next batch you'll like. I promise you if you ask 50 kids ranging from 16-30,80% will like them.
i think you should give people a little more credit than that.

sabres fans loved the original and couldn't make it out of the first round for a decade. they went to the finals wearing the mad cow. then they made two conference finals wearing the banana slug. all the while clamoring for the original.

those will look sharp with the white pants and white helmet

Been banging this drum ever since our new jerseys were leaked last year (or whenever it was... I lose track of time).

Us old-timers like the 80's and 90's uniforms simply because they scream "Syracuse University"

Not sure what we're trying to say with this:

15957019-mmmain.jpg

16295672-standard.jpg

15733666-standard.jpg

On the bright side, since nobody could recognize the team on TV, maybe nobody knows we went 3-9 last year.

I still like those blue ones a lot, but the other two are hideous.

Wow. The 18 year-olds going to Alabama must be freaking out.

To me, these scream old AND Alabama. Nothing wrong with that (although at least half the board disagrees with that sentiment).
No comparison should be made between Syracuse Football and Alabama Football.

The first thing I noticed from this photo that I don't think anyone has mentioned is this thread is the lack of a block S on the helmet.

Personally, I am glad that more orange is in the uniform. The brighter orange will look better on HD TV sets with the chrome helmets. I think this jersey will look sharp paired with either white pants or white helmet.

Just saying what? Alabama does it so that's sort of a trump card that ends the debate?
Sigh. OK, I will explain that which I thought (silly me) didn't need to be explained. Follow the thread. It's about uniforms. The point was made that the uni's a lot of folks like 'scream old'. I was providing an example of 'old' uni's that no one (to my knowledge) in Alabama is complaining about 'old/traditional' uniforms. I'm not trying to end any debate. Just presenting a counterpoint.

You have 18 year old kids?

I'll say, for the umpteenth-thousandth time, that...

(1) I like cool new uniforms
(2) Our new uniforms suck

I'm not some guy screaming "get off my lawn" and demanding that we bring back the uniforms from 1987 or 1998. I freakin' love the Maryland UA unis that everyone seems to hate.

But these uniforms are terrible.

Just flat-out suck.

The number design is dumb and often difficult to read, the diagonal lines are silly, the colors look drab on TV, the combos we use make no aesthetic sense, etc., etc., etc.

I really like the crossed "44". And I dig matte helmets as an alternate look. But that's about it.

Give me an SU version of these and I'd be singing it's praises...

New-Oregon-State-Football-Uniforms-1.jpeg

I'm not some guy screaming "get off my lawn" and demanding that we bring back the uniforms from 1987 or 1998. I freakin' love the Maryland UA unis that everyone seems to hate.

Just flat-out suck.

The number design is dumb and often difficult to read, the diagonal lines are silly, the colors look drab on TV, the combos we use make no aesthetic sense, etc., etc., etc.

I really like the crossed "44". And I dig matte helmets as an alternate look. But that's about it.

No argument here. I dislike a lot of the same things.

I've simply stated that my opinion as a fan should be counted as less than the players. I hope beyond hope that the new AD can find a way to honor the past and still get the kids fresh swag. With lots of orange.

Just flat-out suck.

what is the point of piping that's the same color as the rest of the jersey? i'm sure someone in touch with the youth of america will tell me that the kids on snapchat think piping is so grandpa. i wish they could get that right someday

No argument here. I dislike a lot of the same things.

I've simply stated that my opinion as a fan should be counted as less than the players. I hope beyond hope that the new AD can find a way to honor the past and still get the kids fresh swag. With lots of orange.

Maybe, but there's also something to be said for adult administrators acting as stewards of the program and not chasing every transient trend because of the whims of 16 year old boys.

For 10 years we've heard "brand, brand, brand" coming from the SU Athletic Department. And yet we are on our, what, 4th completely different uniform style? How on Earth is that maintaining a brand?

Here's what I think... I think Doc Gross and his minions first became enamored with the notion that our brand would be "old school". That's why we started using the block "S" logo, added stripes to the football unis and numbers to the helmets.

large_PerryPatterson.jpeg

Then we got bored with that, realized it was tainted by the stink of the G-Rob era, and went back to the 80s/90s design.

syr-10-12-blueorange-richgraessle-620x413.jpg

Then Gross and his minions became enamored with becoming Oregon East, and bought into Nike's new age design hook-line-and-sinker. It all smacks of immature, rudderless leadership. Which I think we can safely say after the past couple months is an apt way to describe the way the AD has acted in recent times.

what is the point of piping that's the same color as the rest of the jersey? i'm sure someone in touch with the youth of america will tell me that the kids on snapchat think piping is so grandpa. i wish they could get that right someday

It's funny that the social media apps that the kids are so gaga over these days have such basic, minimalist design principles. Hell, one of them is intentionally going for a retro, Polaroid motif! But nah, we need 44 degree lines and skyscraper numbers and all-blue unis when we're called Orange, because the kids!

icon320x320.jpeg

lSLM0xhCA1RZOwaQcjhlwmsvaIQYaP3c5qbDKCgLALhydrgExnaSKZdGa8S3YtRuVA=w300

vFpQP39LB60dli3n-rJnVvTM07dsvIzxrCL5xMiy1V4GV4unC1ifXkUExQ4N-DBCKwI=w300

Maybe, but there's also something to be said for adult administrators acting as stewards of the program and not chasing every transient trend because of the whims of 16 year old boys.

For 10 years we've heard "brand, brand, brand" coming from the SU Athletic Department. And yet we are on our, what, 4th completely different uniform style? How on Earth is that maintaining a brand?

Here's what I think... I think Doc Gross and his minions first became enamored with the notion that our brand would be "old school". That's why we started using the block "S" logo, added stripes to the football unis and numbers to the helmets. Then we got bored with that, realized it was tainted by the stink of the G-Rob era, and went back to the 80s/90s design. Then Gross and his minions became enamored with becoming Oregon East, and bought into Nike's new age design hook-line-and-sinker. It all smacks of immature, rudderless leadership. Which I think we can safely say after the past couple months is an apt way to describe the way the AD has acted in recent times.

I hope that the Gross version of Brand goes the same way as the dodo. Just because Gross is incompetent doesn't mean that we can't have unis that honor the past and are "cool"...

It's funny that the social media apps that the kids are so gaga over these days have such basic, minimalist design principles. Hell, one of them is intentionally going for a retro, Polaroid motif! But nah, we need 44 degree lines and skyscraper numbers and all-blue unis when we're called Orange, because the kids!

icon320x320.jpeg

lSLM0xhCA1RZOwaQcjhlwmsvaIQYaP3c5qbDKCgLALhydrgExnaSKZdGa8S3YtRuVA=w300

vFpQP39LB60dli3n-rJnVvTM07dsvIzxrCL5xMiy1V4GV4unC1ifXkUExQ4N-DBCKwI=w300

If this is going to be a thread about design and style and brand - and teenagers - we're going to need a bigger internet.

Here's what I think... I think Doc Gross and his minions first became enamored with the notion that our brand would be "old school". That's why we started using the block "S" logo, added stripes to the football unis and numbers to the helmets.

large_PerryPatterson.jpeg

Then we got bored with that, realized it was tainted by the stink of the G-Rob era, and went back to the 80s/90s design.

syr-10-12-blueorange-richgraessle-620x413.jpg

Then Gross and his minions became enamored with becoming Oregon East, and bought into Nike's new age design hook-line-and-sinker. It all smacks of immature, rudderless leadership. Which I think we can safely say after the past couple months is an apt way to describe the way the AD has acted in recent times.

"Oregon East" - hammer meets nail.