Orange Madness | Syracusefan.com

Orange Madness

JazzNC

Starter
With the scandal and Jalen Carey's commitment very little was mentioned about the change in format in Orange Madness. The dunk and 3 point shooting contests have been eliminated, and there will be no live performances by any musical artists. The women's team will not take part either.

In today's cutthroat recruiting game, will this prove to be a good decision or a mistake? It seems that a lot of recruits really enjoy attending these types of events. Just my opinion, but I thought we needed to beef it up not trim it down. Thoughts?

With the scandal and Jalen Carey's commitment very little was mentioned about the change in format in Orange Madness. The dunk and 3 point shooting contests have been eliminated, and there will be no live performances by any musical artists. The women's team will not take part either.

In today's cutthroat recruiting game, will this prove to be a good decision or a mistake? It seems that a lot of recruits really enjoy attending these types of events. Just my opinion, but I thought we needed to beef it up not trim it down. Thoughts?
Won't have any impact on recruiting.

Well, that clears that up
I think it's right though.

Seems like we always had recruits talk about how great it was... and then they'd go someplace else.

Won't have any impact on recruiting.

No disrespect, but I don't know how anyone can make that claim. If it had no effect on recruiting, why hold it? It's b come quite big with ESPN even providing coverage for many schools.

I think we've done a great job rebounding with this class, but this format change puzzles me.

No disrespect, but I don't know how anyone can make that claim. If it had no effect on recruiting, why hold it? It's b come quite big with ESPN even providing coverage for many schools.

I think we've done a great job rebounding with this class, but this format change puzzles me.
It's a great show. I enjoy it. It doesn't have any impact on recruiting. I saw their midnight madness on espn, I'm going to that school??? What kid did we get in the last 5 years that came here because of midnight madness? Or said that was a factor in their recruitment?

It's a great show. I enjoy it. It doesn't have any impact on recruiting. I saw their midnight madness on espn, I'm going to that school??? What kid did we get in the last 5 years that came here because of midnight madness? Or said that was a factor in their recruitment?

I respect your opinion, but clearly others think differently , or they wouldn't invite so many recruits to come to these events.

It would be interesting to do a study or poll. But without statistical data it is impossible to know/prove what impact these events have. It's simply two different opinions.

I respect your opinion, but clearly others think differently , or they wouldn't invite so many recruits to come to these events.

It would be interesting to do a study or poll. But without statistical data it is impossible to know/prove what impact these events have. It's simply two different opinions.

Orange Madness was garbage.

it was like going to a dollar store circus the few times I went.

I agree that some change in format was warranted, but it seems to have been scaled down.

You wanted more? I will say it slowly, It will have no impact on recruiting. If it did, we wouldn't have changed it.

I think it's a legitimate question to ask. Absolutely no way to know the answer right now, regardless of how slowly you proclaim it.

No offense to the women, but they’re a whole different team and program. They can have their own event.

I’m on the fence on the other changes.

As long as the riff raff doesn’t show up and stab people, then everything is fine. I really don’t think these events are all that important towards anything. It’s just to build some excitement for the season.

I'd would've liked them to have more former players come. More highlights of the team's achievements. Market the program. Make it a show.

You all are right that it needed to change. But it seems to have just been scaled back.

Jalen Carey and Darius Bazley are two of our highest profile signings in years and neither went to Orange Madness.

No question orange madness has been garbage lately - maybe this is a good move. Just saying it's kind of close to impossible to know right now. Other schools have pretty cool midnight madness events.

No question orange madness has been garbage lately - maybe this is a good move. Just saying it's kind of close to impossible to know right now. Other schools have pretty cool midnight madness events.
I love midnight madness. There are a lot of reasons in my mind to have them. Recruiting just isn't one of them

Buddy boeheim is our only 2018 commit to attend a midnight madness. It's not exactly a recruiting piece for SU. More for the fans to get a glimpse.

I liked the scrimmages, getting a first look at the freshmen, transfers, or guys that missed time. I went to the October 2011 Midnight Madness and remember seeing Fab and almost not recognizing him. He had slimmed town and looked like a new person. He was running the floor step for step with KJo and MCW, blocking everything in the paint. I knew then and there that he was going to be a monster in the Big East, get drafted in the first round, and SU would have an incredible year.

I wish I could see what Hughes looks like on the floor, how Moyer has improved, and what Dolezaj, Oshae, and Geno look like.

Also think it would be cool to get a bunch of alums on the floor for a scrimmage. Tough to do with 8-9 guys in the NBA, but even the guys just recently out of the league.

I liked the scrimmages, getting a first look at the freshmen, transfers, or guys that missed time. I went to the October 2011 Midnight Madness and remember seeing Fab and almost not recognizing him. He had slimmed town and looked like a new person. He was running the floor step for step with KJo and MCW, blocking everything in the paint. I knew then and there that he was going to be a monster in the Big East, get drafted in the first round, and SU would have an incredible year.

I wish I could see what Hughes looks like on the floor, how Moyer has improved, and what Dolezaj, Oshae, and Geno look like.

Also think it would be cool to get a bunch of alums on the floor for a scrimmage. Tough to do with 8-9 guys in the NBA, but even the guys just recently out of the league.
They're still having a scrimmage that is actually longer & will likely be more competitive than it's been in previous years.

Syracuse basketball's Orange Madness gets name change, total makeover

"The men's scrimmage starts at 7:30 after team warmups. The game will consist of two 30-minute running-time halves. For that game, SU students will be given wrist bands that allow them to sit courtside. The university hopes to ring the Jim Boeheim Court with standing students. SU's Sour Sitrus Society will perform at the event."

I personally love the new format & the emphasis on the students' experience. The player/coach intros (mostly because they included both teams) & musical performances over that terrible sound system were way too drawn out & boring. Same with the co-ed shooting contests. The women are established enough to have their own event. I think a dunk/3 pt contest would be cool (again, especially now that it'd be just the men) but the end of the scrimmage will likely turn into a glorified dunk contest. I have nothing against the women's team & actually follow them pretty closely, it's just that having both teams in one event made it drag on. Now people can come see the only thing they're really interested in, the scrimmage.