Orange Madness | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Orange Madness

They're still having a scrimmage that is actually longer & will likely be more competitive than it's been in previous years.

Syracuse basketball's Orange Madness gets name change, total makeover

"The men's scrimmage starts at 7:30 after team warmups. The game will consist of two 30-minute running-time halves. For that game, SU students will be given wrist bands that allow them to sit courtside. The university hopes to ring the Jim Boeheim Court with standing students. SU's Sour Sitrus Society will perform at the event."

I personally love the new format & the emphasis on the students' experience. The player/coach intros (mostly because they included both teams) & musical performances over that terrible sound system were way too drawn out & boring. Same with the co-ed shooting contests. The women are established enough to have their own event. I think a dunk/3 pt contest would be cool (again, especially now that it'd be just the men) but the end of the scrimmage will likely turn into a glorified dunk contest. I have nothing against the women's team & actually follow them pretty closely, it's just that having both teams in one event made it drag on. Now people can come see the only thing they're really interested in, the scrimmage.

Totally agree. Listen to my ol pal Ross if anyone thinks this will truly impact recruiting.

2c7eb9_2e32ec887ad1690a3665a021dc08fade.jpg

Let’s be real. We didn’t even have midnight madness during many great recruiting years.

True, but neither did many other schools. It's a more modern phenomenon.

Don't get me wrong, I like the more competitive scrimmage, but I think it could be more than just a scrimmage.

It would be great to get guys like Melo, MCW, DC, Waiters, Grant, Ennis, Rak, etc. to come. A video of our Championships (Big East) and Final Four Teams, buzzer beaters in the Dome, and NBA players... a showcase for the program.

I'll be excited to see how it goes this year, and what if anything they may implement that's new.

Honestly, fans wanted more scrimmage and less of everything else. The dunk contest was crap, and an accident waiting to happen. The musical guests were usually great for the students, but if you weren't sitting in just the right spots, you couldn't understand what was being said anyway. The sound system around the court was awful. You couldn't understand the MC's or the people they were interviewing. Everything sounded like a mouthful of marbles.

The visual acts are pretty cool, though. They had the dribbler one year and then the dude who spun balls on poles.

Nothing beats the Arinze rap year, though.

Don't get me wrong, I like the more competitive scrimmage, but I think it could be more than just a scrimmage.

It would be great to get guys like Melo, MCW, DC, Waiters, Grant, Ennis, Rak, etc. to come. A video of our Championships (Big East) and Final Four Teams, buzzer beaters in the Dome, and NBA players... a showcase for the program.

I'll be excited to see how it goes this year, and what if anything they may implement that's new.

Unless they have a day off no NBA guys are going to any college preseason fan events since their season starts next Wednesday.

I wish they would just put on a highlight reel of all JB's teams...and make sure the acoustics are good enough to understand the color commentary. I think a video summary of the 6OT game would be outstanding on it's own. :)

Unless they have a day off no NBA guys are going to any college preseason fan events since their season starts next Wednesday.

I do recall Kentucky having a few former players. You're probably right about the NBA players. Maybe some of the national championship team? Forth, Duany, McNeil, Pace, Hakim, Edelin, etc...

Throw in Seikaly, DC, Sherman, from 87, and Wallace and Z from 96? Guys from later teams that aren't in the NBA that played in the Final Four?

They can definitely do more to market the event. It just has never stacked up to what other schools do.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the scrimmage for sure. Always fun getting the first look. I guess if you're not going to go all in on the orange madness thing than this is a great way to go. Better this than what they had last year.

I do recall Kentucky having a few former players. You're probably right about the NBA players. Maybe some of the national championship team? Forth, Duany, McNeil, Pace, Hakim, Edelin, etc...

Throw in Seikaly, DC, Sherman, from 87, and Wallace and Z from 96? Guys from later teams that aren't in the NBA that played in the Final Four?

They can definitely do more to market the event. It just has never stacked up to what other schools do.
Too bad Dr. Tucker has disqualified most to play again here at Syracuse due to age conditions.

If they had an intro to the scrimmage like the intro some of the other schools in the ACC do for their regular games it would be better then some of the contrived Midnight Madness disasters of past years.

With the scandal and Jalen Carey's commitment very little was mentioned about the change in format in Orange Madness. The dunk and 3 point shooting contests have been eliminated, and there will be no live performances by any musical artists. The women's team will not take part either.

In today's cutthroat recruiting game, will this prove to be a good decision or a mistake? It seems that a lot of recruits really enjoy attending these types of events. Just my opinion, but I thought we needed to beef it up not trim it down. Thoughts?

Good decision. Keep the folks that want to stab each other out of the dome.

No offense to the women, but they’re a whole different team and program. They can have their own event.

Exactly. For whatever reason, I don't care about the women's basketball team, just like I don't care about professional bull-riding. And it doesn't make sense for either to be included as part of a men's basketball event.

These changes are news to me, but they sound like a good thing. I suffered through that dreary "Unfinished Business" midnight madness in fall 2010 and swore I'd never attend another one. But if they're focusing on basketball, it might be worth a look.

Let’s be real. We didn’t even have midnight madness during many great recruiting years.

Yeah, between like 1994 and 2008 or 2009, didn't we have 0 midnight madnesses?

I remember going to the first one which was held in Manley really around midnight believe it or not. JB didn’t like Midnight Madness because of the fear of injuries with players showboating and attempting crazy dunks . I think in this first one that there was an injury if I recall and was around 1993 - 1995 or so. Then they stopped them for a number of years, resuming them first, back to Manley about 10 years later, then to the Carrier Dome but never again close to midnight. I remember Arinze breaking a backboard in a Manley Field ‘midnight madness’ around 2005.

I remember going to the first one which was held in Manley really around midnight believe it or not. JB didn’t like Midnight Madness because of the fear of injuries with players showboating and attempting crazy dunks . I think in this first one that there was an injury if I recall and was around 1993 - 1995 or so. Then they stopped them for a number of years, resuming them first, back to Manley about 10 years later, then to the Carrier Dome but never again close to midnight.
Here's a different perspective. We took our kids last year, and it was really fun for them. They got to meet Otto and there was plenty of excitement. It might seem hokey for the millennials, but having JB ride in on a HUMVEE was a lot of fun (and a nice nod to the 10th Mountain). I enjoyed the player introductions, but would be happy to see a better scrimmage. I won't miss the dunk contest.

As far as recruiting, it may not be make-or-break for current prospects - although the value to them is hard to assess. But MM was often on ESPN and having that kind of exposure is golden ... to build the brand and attract interest for fans and future recruits. MANY recruits talk about growing up watching SU. So I would hate the see the AD give up this tradition and cede the territory to rival programs. Let's just do it better.

Last edited:
I remember going to the first one which was held in Manley really around midnight believe it or not. JB didn’t like Midnight Madness because of the fear of injuries with players showboating and attempting crazy dunks . I think in this first one that there was an injury if I recall and was around 1993 - 1995 or so. Then they stopped them for a number of years, resuming them first, back to Manley about 10 years later, then to the Carrier Dome but never again close to midnight. I remember Arinze breaking a backboard in a Manley Field ‘midnight madness’ around 2005.
Hot as balls in there that night. I feel like that was the first look at Jonny and Donte, and that stupid dynasty hand gesture. Arinze was the highlight, but unfortunately he ended the night prematurely.

I was only commenting, agreeing that we didn’t always have Midnight Madness , the reason JB initially wasn’t a fan and the approximate years it started and resumed. Heck I actually atttend them so I think the different perspective comment might be mistakenly referencing my post. I sure hope nothing I wrote was considered negative.

Hot as balls in there that night. I feel like that was the first look at Jonny and Donte, and that stupid dynasty hand gesture. Arinze was the highlight, but unfortunately he ended the night prematurely.

Yes I remember. Was that the same one that someone like Bill Raftery was there and Steve Nash talked to the fans and team long distance on a huge screen , saying he was a fan and made a joke saying JB should have recruited him? It was so hot they did end up opening up the back doors to Manley.Great overheated crowd.

The Manley renovation probably killed the prospect of any decent midnight madness for SU. Was a right-sized venue with good acoustics.

I am okay with getting rid of the grand entrance for JB, the rappers, the glitz, the hype and the dunking contest. I like the women's team and didn't mind getting a chance to watch them too but that isn't a big deal and I might stop by and attend their thing too.

I just want to see the team scrimmage. I want the players to play hard on offense and defense. I want something as close to real game conditions as possible.

So this works for me. I like it.

I was only commenting, agreeing that we didn’t always have Midnight Madness , the reason JB initially wasn’t a fan and the approximate years it started and resumed. Heck I actually atttend them so I think the different perspective comment might be mistakenly referencing my post. I sure hope nothing I wrote was considered negative.
No, nothing negative intended, Cherie. I used that term b/c I brought kids with me and wanted to share what it was like for them.

Last edited:

We did that one year with the older players, like John Wallace and Billy Owens and Moten and tons of guys. Didn’t Carmelo come to watch as well? I was thrilled! I can’t remember when that was. (Sad,) That may have been for our 2012 team, that was destined to be one of our best ever until . . . . . Fab. (Sad.)But yes, that would be fun with some of our newer “old” guys!

I would prefer to see more basketball, which this foremat allows. The acoustics are terrible and no matter where you sat, you couldn’t hear. Since this team is such an unknown, the more time they are on the court, the better.

We did that one year with the older players, like John Wallace and Billy Owens and Moten and tons of guys. Didn’t Carmelo come to watch as well? I was thrilled! I can’t remember when that was. (Sad,) That may have been for our 2012 team, that was destined to be one of our best ever until . . . . . Fab. (Sad.)But yes, that would be fun with some of our newer “old” guys!

I would prefer to see more basketball, which this foremat allows. The acoustics are terrible and no matter where you sat, you couldn’t hear. Since this team is such an unknown, the more time they are on the court, the better.

The NBA was locked out that year and the season started late. That’s why Melo was there.