Orangeyes ... Sad News | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes ... Sad News

I was privileged to have met Dan thru this board , it led to a few golf outings and some great conversations about SU sports over the years. He was always thanking me for the database I created and pointed out things he found when using it. He will be missed.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=1069361#.U8G9Y7lOW1t

Our Sports Director, Niko Tamurian, shares his memories of the man many of you knew as "Orangeyes"
Sports Director Niko Tamurian and Farah Jadran visit with lifelong Syracuse Universirty sports fan, Dan Johnson.

Syracusefan.com. Dan, religiously, every day, would post as many articles pertaining to all things Syracuse as he could find. Some article were mainstream stories featuring well-known athletes while others talked about that athlete who graduated 10 years ago and had two rushing yards in one game in the Arena League last season. Nothing got past “Orangeyes”. It made Syracusefan.com a must-visit site for all SU fans and even members of the media.
A couple of years into my career, one of MY stories was posted by Orangeyes. That’s when I knew I made it. A “thank you” email to him sparked a friendship that changed my life, and one that I hope enhanced his life half as much as it did mine.
Dan’s footprint on Syracuse is inspiring. From his days at St. John the Evangelist to his career with softball teams and 40-and-over hoops, Dan has friends probably on every street in this community.
Syracuse will never be the same. Not just because Dan is gone but because his lifelong, tireless dedication to all things Orange absolutely changed this town. Central New York, we lost a great man today but his legacy can and will live on with every fan who steps through the turnstiles at the Carrier Dome.
We’ll miss you Dan, and I hope you can provide a gust of wind to allow me my first hole-in-one. As you always said, “You just have to keep swinging.” That may be hard for a while, but eventually, all of your friends will do it in your honor.

I will really miss OE. He was the only mod that challenged or followed up on a number of my posts about SUAD (including PMs) and even though he didn't agree with everything I may have posted over the years, he always encouraged me (and that applies to everyone) to post any news about SU - bad or good. I really hate things like this that happen to really good people.

My heartfelt thanks to OE for many different reasons and my condolences to all OE family members - he will be sorely missed.

I met Dan at a Fine Mess Tailgate a couple of years ago and he made me feel like I knew him all my life. Being the same age we reveled in sharing a lot of old guy stories - all Orange, of course. Dan, was one of those rare people with a twinkle in his eye and joy in his heart. He welcomed everyone with his infectious enthusiasm - thanks for your kindness, my friend. I am so glad our paths crossed.

To paraphrase the song - if you believe in Orange heaven, they just got a helluva man.

Rest In Peace Orange Legend.

Deeply saddened to hear of Dan's passing. For those of us that live outside of NY, he was our "lifeline" to all things Cuse. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May the Divine cradle him for all eternity.

May you Rest in Peace Dan you will be immensely missed I was hoping so much that you would pull through. thank you for everything you contributed to our family here and the Syracuse community. My prayers tonight are for Dan and his family.

When I walk up to the dome this season ill be singing this to myself.

When Orange Eyes Are Smiling, it's Saturday In the Fall.
In the roar of Orange laughter, you can see them standing tall.
When Orange hearts are happy, a 'cuse touchdown leads the way!
And When Orange Eyes Are Smiling! Syracuse has won the day!

I never met Dan. However my interactions by phone and email with him date back a dozen or so years. When the idea of a statue of Ernie Davis was simply a gleam in the eye of a few of us, we would discuss and trade ideas about how to make the statue happen. There were a lot of roadblocks. Just trying to get a meeting with anyone from the University or the Carrier Dome to discuss the idea was problematic. We talked about how money could be raised. We talked about who could be the sculptor. And then Dan basically took the bull by the horns and made it happen. He. Made. It. Happen.

I remember in a post made about Ernie Davis and a statue to honor him, I said that it was my dream to one day have a statue outside the Carrier Dome and to see a tradition of fans touching the statue for good luck in the game and good health to the players - and to have that tradition passed down from parent to child. When I came from out of town to my first football game after the statue came to its current location, I saw a father bring his son to the statue and have him touch it for good luck. When I saw that I started crying like a baby. Thank you Dan. You will be missed.

Last edited:
I was not going to post in these threads, because, I didn't feel I had the right to. Somebody passing has always been a very difficult thing for me to handle, and, in this situation I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to speak on somebody I'd never met face to face when that individual's friends and family were undoubtedly coming to terms with their new reality.

But, after spending quite a bit of time yesterday seeing the responses from OE's family, friends, board mates, Syracuse community and local media I was overwhelmed with the sincerity and emotion that made its way to basically every blog, website and fan board that has anything to do with Syracuse.

The fact that a man, who was so dedicated to something, had so much love for it, is being acknowledged in such a way leaves me feeling good about society today. Dan deserves every bit of recognition he's getting and more. Hearing the stories from people who have known him for years, and been around him makes me feel like I've known him as well.

Even though our contact may have been limited to Syracusefan.com and TOS, it's apparent through the outpouring here what a special individual he was. I'll be honest, I've never felt the way I felt yesterday about the passing of an individual I'd never met. My heart absolutely sunk. And that has to speak volumes for the kind of man he was. The fact that people he'd never met are feeling this way is, IMO, amazing.

We may have never met face to face, but, Dan was with me every morning during my first cup of coffee. He put together articles that became an absolute must for me every morning, part of my daily routine. And, he did it without fail, rain or shine.

OrangeOnions, and everyone who comes here that was a part of Dan's life, I'm so sorry for the loss you have to endure. But, I hope this board and the stories being posted about Dan are at least some consolation. I know that I'd be extremely proud of what's happening, because it's a testament to how many people in this community he touched.

Any type of tribute that can be arranged through Syracuse is fitting. If Dan doesn't deserve it I don't know who does.

Godspeed Dan, Rest In Peace now.

- Brett

Very sad news. I also did not know Dan but I really enjoyed reading the articles that he linked on this site.
RIP Dan, my prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

I was not going to post in these threads, because, I didn't feel I had the right to. Somebody passing has always been a very difficult thing for me to handle, and, in this situation I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to speak on somebody I'd never met face to face when that individual's friends and family were undoubtedly coming to terms with their new reality.

But, after spending quite a bit of time yesterday seeing the responses from OE's family, friends, board mates, Syracuse community and local media I was overwhelmed with the sincerity and emotion that made its way to basically every blog, website and fan board that has anything to do with Syracuse.

The fact that a man, who was so dedicated to something, had so much love for it, is being acknowledged in such a way leaves me feeling good about society today. Dan deserves every bit of recognition he's getting and more. Hearing the stories from people who have known him for years, and been around him makes me feel like I've known him as well.

Even though our contact may have been limited to Syracusefan.com and TOS, it's apparent through the outpouring here what a special individual he was. I'll be honest, I've never felt the way I felt yesterday about the passing of an individual I'd never met. My heart absolutely sunk. And that has to speak volumes for the kind of man he was. The fact that people he'd never met are feeling this way is, IMO, amazing.

We may have never met face to face, but, Dan was with me every morning during my first cup of coffee. He put together articles that became an absolute must for me every morning, part of my daily routine. And, he did it without fail, rain or shine.

OrangeOnions, and everyone who comes here that was a part of Dan's life, I'm so sorry for the loss you have to endure. But, I hope this board and the stories being posted about Dan are at least some consolation. I know that I'd be extremely proud of what's happening, because it's a testament to how many people in this community he touched.

Any type of tribute that can be arranged through Syracuse is fitting. If Dan doesn't deserve it I don't know who does.

- Brett
well done Brett, I mean man wow, beautiful words. Was holding the emotions in check pretty good til yours...Well done.

- Brett

You put into words which I could not. Thankyou. RIP Orangeyes, and my condolences to your family and friends.
Chris

Like many others, I never met Dan but have felt his passion and now share others sadness.

A request to those who had the privilege to spend time with Dan - every picture that I have seen out here and in other places is a recent photo from the hospital. I'd love to see pictures of the happy times - the tailgates - the family events - the games. I am sure that many of you have them, so if you can, please share more of the joyous moments so that those of us who never got the chance will leave this thread with a jealous smile of a tailgate missed rather than the sadness of a prolonged hospital stay. Not sure if that reads the way I mean it.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting OE. Knowing how dedicated he was to SU and this board, I can't even fathom how dedicated he was to his family and friends. With the greatest respect, RIP OE.