Oregons' advantage totally unfair | Syracusefan.com

Oregons' advantage totally unfair

GooseMutt

All Conference
Knight owner of Nike, has donated over 300 million to Oregon Sports programs over recent years. This is just so ridiculously unfair in terms of recruiting advantages. The facilities they offer must be out of this world. How many CTO s would we need to match that. Blows my mind and nothing anyone can do about that.

Knight owner of Nike, has donated over 300 million to Oregon Sports programs over recent years. This is just so ridiculously unfair in terms of recruiting advantages. The facilities they offer must be out of this world. How many CTO s would we need to match that. Blows my mind and nothing anyone can do about that.
Why is that unfair? Would a hundred big donors offering $3M each be more fair? I think the inherent advantages of state schools re: access to capital through budgets is more inequitable...but private schools could all drop out and have their own org if they wanted.

Regardless, there's big money in college sports. Not news. Also not a guarantee of success (see Texas everything and Oregon fb this year)

At the end of the day, they have zero national titles in football or basketball since FDR's presidency.

& yet this was their 1st Final Four since 1939 & they've never brought in a top 5 rated hoops class. Facilities aren't everything.

Good for him for being so generous to his school, and good for them?

Phil Knight didn't just recently get rich and start donating money to Oregon. It's not like they've been dominating the sport over the years.

he's also committed 500 mil for science and academic facilities. and this is a bad thing how ?
as an alumni he's to be applauded imo.

Never said it was a bad thing and yes he should be applauded. I am simply jealous and it seems like there would be a huge advantage vs avg college program. I think he's a great guy. He also gave Stanford a lot of money

is he the heir to that tremendous 70's cologne empire ? and would he be a one time booster or could we count on him for multiple contributions to launch us into the future ?

il_570xN.340457343.jpg

is he the heir to that tremendous 70's cologne empire ? and would he be a one time booster or could we count on him for multiple contributions to launch us into the future ?

il_570xN.340457343.jpg

Two words: Nicely scented electric golf carts.

That seems like a total 180 from calling it ridiculously unfair in your OP.
Unfair in terms or recruiting. As a jesture to give back- phenomenal

il_570xN.340457343.jpg

The good news is he would build us an amazing new $300M athletic dorm. The bad news is it would be in a tunnel under a volcano or on an asteroid.

I think we should be more angry at UNC getting a free pass from the NCAA without much, if any coverage from the national media than we should with whatever big donor Oregon has in their pocket.
Absolutely

Ha. My Alma Mater got $1.4 billion, yes billion with a b, from one alum. None of it went to sports, though.

and he would paint mars orange. suck on that johnnies !

This is exactly why the "paying the players will destroy parity!" arguments are so delusional.