Oscar predictions | Syracusefan.com

Oscar predictions

CaliCuse

All American
OK I don't have a vote but having seen some of the actors in their opportunity for the big award ceremony here goes my picks
Best Actor Christian Bale
Best actress: Amy Adams
Picture American Hustle:
Best supporting Bradley Cooper
American Hustle i s based on some partial truth and is different enough to grab the attention of those who vote. If Tom Hanks isn't merely given the Oscar because he is Tom Hanks the ceremony might be interesting as Christian Bale isn't the kind of name with a long list of great parts beyond the obvious which never are considered for Oscars.

If Will Farrell does not win for Anchorman 2, it will be criminal.

I've heard various reviews. Some good, some not so good
The subject is always a subjective issue but I think you will enjoy the movie and the performance given by the actors involved. CK is in it and I thought he was terrific as well. Amy Adams melts the screen as a "hot"character. My concern for these individuals is the combination of Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson in a story about Walt Disney and Mary Poppins.Some Hollywood voters tend to get locked into genre and past performance details. IMO Harrison Ford should have at the very least been nominated for his role in "42" Maybe not worth an Oscar but a nomination for damn sure. Its a rough business for all involved There is a lot of stuff I can't write about here for reasons you are aware of.:crazy:

OK I don't have a vote but having seen some of the actors in their opportunity for the big award ceremony here goes my picks
Best Actor Christian Bale
Best actress: Amy Adams
Picture American Hustle:
Best supporting Bradley Cooper
American Hustle i s based on some partial truth and is different enough to grab the attention of those who vote. If Tom Hanks isn't merely given the Oscar because he is Tom Hanks the ceremony might be interesting as Christian Bale isn't the kind of name with a long list of great parts beyond the obvious which never are considered for Oscars.

Eh, i think Chiwetel Ejiofor ends up taking best actor home.

The subject is always a subjective issue but I think you will enjoy the movie and the performance given by the actors involved. CK is in it and I thought he was terrific as well. Amy Adams melts the screen as a "hot"character. My concern for these individuals is the combination of Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson in a story about Walt Disney and Mary Poppins.Some Hollywood voters tend to get locked into genre and past performance details. IMO Harrison Ford should have at the very least been nominated for his role in "42" Maybe not worth an Oscar but a nomination for damn sure. Its a rough business for all involved There is a lot of stuff I can't write about here for reasons you are aware of.:crazy:

Saw Saving Mr.Banks last night. It was a wonderful film. I don't see Hanks winning for his role but Emma Thompson is certainly a deserving candidate. She was simply fantastic.

Saw Saving Mr.Banks last night. It was a wonderful film. I don't see Hanks winning for his role but Emma Thompson is certainly a deserving candidate. She was simply fantastic.
I saw it last night too. Loved it. A bit heavier than I thought it would be, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

If Will Farrell does not win for Anchorman 2, it will be criminal.
I love Will farrell but the effn oscar voting snobs rarely go for Science Fiction or comedy unless there is a foreign actor involved and want to be looking fair. I'll be pissed if the Butler gets Oscars just because of the subject matter. Its happened before and will again but thats why we watch. Hanks and Thompson are the odds on favorite and how you can you root against Tom Hanks. In a nasty cruel business he remains a good guy beyond merely reputation or phony publicity. I hope Lone Survivor gets some recognition. It was an outstanding project. I guess the nominations come out next month so the LATimes will be filled with publicity articles until the Oscar ceremony itself. Its fun reading this stuff.

What I take away from Cali's post is that he recently watched American Hustle.

Best Actor will be either Ejiofor, Redford, or DiCaprio. Bank on it.

What I take away from Cali's post is that he recently watched American Hustle.

Best Actor will be either Ejiofor, Redford, or DiCaprio. Bank on it.
it will be Bruce Dern in what is essentially a Career Recognition nod (although it was a terrific performance)

it should be Matthew McConaughey (nobody had a better and more diverse 12 months- from Magic Mike to Mud to DBC to a terrific cameo in Wolf of Wall Street)

haven't seen everything yet, but my predictions based on what I have seen so far are:

Picture - 12 years a slave
Director - Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Actor - Dern, Nebraska
Actress - Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Supporting Actor - Jared Leto, DBC
Supporting Actress - June Squibb, Nebraska

My own personal choices
Picture - The Way Way Back
Director - Cuaron
Actor - McConaughey, Mud
Actress - Blanchett
Supporting Actor - Sam Rockwell, The Way Way Back
Supporting Actress - Squibb

Last edited:
moqui said:
it will be Bruce Dern in what is essentially a Career Recognition nod (although it was a terrific performance) it should be Matthew McConaughey (nobody had a better and more diverse 12 months- from Magic Mike to Mud to DBC to a terrific cameo in Wolf of Wall Street) haven't seen everything yet, but my predictions based on what I have seen so far are: Picture - 12 years a slave Director - Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity Actor - Dern, Nebraska Actress - Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine Supporting Actor - Jared Leto, DBC Supporting Actress - June Squibb, Nebraska My own personal choices Picture - The Way Way Back Director - Cuaron Actor - McConaughey, Mud Actress - Blanchett Supporting Actor - Sam Rockwell, The Way Way Back Supporting Actress - Squibb

Have to agree with almost all of your picks, inside llewyn Davis is my pick for best picture however.

Coen Bros consistently nail it.

I pray to god Leo doesn't win best actor. He was thoroughly entertaining in wolf but his accent came and went and I found it mildly distracting

Have to agree with almost all of your picks, inside llewyn Davis is my pick for best picture however.

Coen Bros consistently nail it.

I pray to god Leo doesn't win best actor. He was thoroughly entertaining in wolf but his accent came and went and I found it mildly distracting
Haven't seen Llewyn Davis yet (nor a few others) so my picks may change. Hoping to get a screener copy this weekend.

Haven't seen Llewyn Davis yet (nor a few others) so my picks may change. Hoping to get a screener copy this weekend.

How was Wolf of Wall Street? I heard it wasn't necessarily a great movie but it was very entertaining. Lots of intense scenes, drugs/sex etc.

How was Wolf of Wall Street? I heard it wasn't necessarily a great movie but it was very entertaining. Lots of intense scenes, drugs/s e x etc.

I found Wolf incredibly entertaining and very funny, the first 2 hours are very quick. Probably a movie you don't want to watch with your kids or your parents .

How was Wolf of Wall Street? I heard it wasn't necessarily a great movie but it was very entertaining. Lots of intense scenes, drugs/s e x etc.
another one I have not yet seen . . . the big three films in the awards conversation that I have missed so far are Llewin Davis, Wolf and Her.

another one I have not yet seen . . . the big three films in the awards conversation that I have missed so far are Llewin Davis, Wolf and Her.

You into the LOTR/Hobbit series?

You into the LOTR/Hobbit series?
I liked LOTR but I haven't watched either Hobbit movie. It irritates me to know end that they took a 250 page novel and turned it into a trilogy.

I am a fan of The Hunger Games, however, and I found Catching Fire to be the most enjoyable film of the holiday season.

I liked LOTR but I haven't watched either Hobbit movie. It irritates me to know end that they took a 250 page novel and turned it into a trilogy.

I am a fan of The Hunger Games, however, and I found Catching Fire to be the most enjoyable film of the holiday season.

Check out the Hobbit movies. Not as good as LOTR, but hard to top those. Second film was better than the first by a lot IMO.