Oshae Brissett: Celtics | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett: Celtics

Good for him. Can’t ever find out if you can play in the league if you stay in school forever. People need to remember that! Not always about the draft and guaranteed spot
eh...for now, you can get better by staying in NCAABB and then getting drafted higher...davion mitchell for one...will be a first rounder most likely, only bc he killed it this year at baylor...otherwise gleaguer at best...and that path to the NBA is rough...OB made it but it is not paved with gold. he beat the odds. he took the hard way and made it...but OB couldve just as easily come back to school and made the same improvements he did in the Gleague then be a first rounder...don't see why it has to be "everyone stay" or "everyone leave"...

perhaps the improvements he made in his game only wouldve happened in gleague and not at SU...its certainly possible.

Still, on the balance of it, I think way too many players leave too early now (and transfer, as well)...and, personally, watching players "develop" while also being pros is not my fav bball to watch. does anyone actually watch the gleague?? How many players in the NBA never actually become NBA level players? (a lot, imo - in terms of being drafted on potential and only sticking around bc teams have to pay them)...the NBA being so bent on potential these days is undermining NCAABB, imo.

I like NCAABB and wish more was being done to make sure it stays relevant...bc I see it being undermined more and more every year.

I thnk if the narrative your post is aligned with continues to progress...the overlap between NBA and NCAABB will basically cease to exist and only a small % of players who play NCAA will ever play NBA...and, if you are an SU fan/NCAABB fan...is that what you really want?

Last edited:
he took the hard way and made it...but OB couldve just as easily come back to school and made the same improvements he did in the Gleague then be a first rounder
Uhhhhhhhhh?

Anyway, one thing to consider - 1st round NBA draft picks require a higher organizational commitment than a guy like Brissett that got picked up the way he did. Multiple guaranteed years at a higher salary. Part of the appeal with Brissett right now is that based on the production he's given, at the low salary slot he represents (which is lower than what a 1st round pick earns), he's a bargain part of their current rotation. Now, in the future, depending on how his contract is structured, in addition to whatever on-court benefit his play provides, he could also act as an interesting trade asset. Given that he'd occupy a tiny portion of cap room, there may be cash strapped teams that would love trading out some salary to bring him in at the low number he carries. Plus, if I'm right that year 3 is a team option, the team would be able to decide if he still has bargain value, or if it's worth cutting him for the salary slot and not carrying his money against the cap. I think the rules on this are pretty tricky, but I think there's also some maneuverability on his deal and what it counts for against the cap at certain times vs what he's guaranteed.

TL;DR - Brissett might actually be more valuable now in some ways and have a better chance of sticking in the NBA because he doesn't carry the same commitments a 1st rounder on a guaranteed deal does.

eh...for now, you can get better by staying in NCAABB and then getting drafted higher...davion mitchell for one...will be a first rounder most likely, only bc he killed it this year at baylor...otherwise gleaguer at best...and that path to the NBA is rough...OB made it but it is not paved with gold. he beat the odds. he took the hard way and made it...but OB couldve just as easily come back to school and made the same improvements he did in the Gleague then be a first rounder...don't see why it has to be "everyone stay" or "everyone leave"...

perhaps the improvements he made in his game only wouldve happened in gleague and not at SU...its certainly possible.

Still, on the balance of it, I think way too many players leave too early now (and transfer, as well)...and, personally, watching players "develop" while also being pros is not my fav bball to watch. does anyone actually watch the gleague?? How many players in the NBA never actually become NBA level players? (a lot, imo - in terms of being drafted on potential and only sticking around bc teams have to pay them)...the NBA being so bent on potential these days is undermining NCAABB, imo.

I like NCAABB and wish more was being done to make sure it stays relevant...bc I see it being undermined more and more every year.

I thnk if the narrative your post is aligned with continues to progress...the overlap between NBA and NCAABB will basically cease to exist and only a small % of players who play NCAA will ever play NBA...and, if you are an SU fan/NCAABB fan...is that what you really want?
I don’t understand how anyone can say staying in ncaa is better path to improve. Playing against the best pros in the world is how you improve. How do you think Oshae got better ? I don’t understand how playing against 18 year olds is better than playing against the best players in the world with coaches that coach the pro system. Leave early when you have the chance no matter what level of pro basketball it is and watch the improvement of guys like this. Practicing everyday against marek is a lot different than playing against the pacers roster

I don’t understand how anyone can say staying in ncaa is better path to improve. Playing against the best pros in the world is how you improve. How do you think Oshae got better ? I don’t understand how playing against 18 year olds is better than playing against the best players in the world with coaches that coach the pro system. Leave early when you have the chance no matter what level of pro basketball it is and watch the improvement of guys like this. Practicing everyday against marek is a lot different than playing against the pacers roster
gleague is not "the best in the world." I disagree that "any pro" level is better than NCAA...I dont think austrailia europe gleague are necessarily better than acc sec big 12 etc...i just don't. in some cases, yes, but not always. fit matters, too. If its good enough for Zion...then its good enough for anyone...on the bench in those leagues vs starting in NCAA matters.

its not only 18 year olds, either...going up against a luca garza or garrison brooks etc...is plenty hard enough, imo. i distinctly remember the team getting banged around hard last season by big body teams...there are grown and giant players in NCAA, too.

A lot of players wash out of those pro leagues, too...then what??? you act like it is just a magic conveyer belt from ANY PRO team to automatic success. its not. how many gleaguers actually get multiyear deals in the nba? what %?

All I am saying is the situation matters. not saying 1 decision fits all cases like you are.

i think you are in the majority...just leave asap in every case...but I disagree.

It doesn’t really matter what we want
well it should. the fans are the sport. without fans, the sport would shrivel and die.

just today the fans of the EPL killed the European Super League...it is indeed possible that fans can advocate on their own behalf...and make meaningful change.

I'm all for the players having all the success in the world...but I think there must be some reforms that are possible to save the NCAABB and also allow the players unfettered avenues to success.

i'm far from saying that all players should all stay all 4 years.

I just don't get how people seem to be all on the side of the process that is going to destroy the sport of the team (SU) / NCAABB that they follow...

if the way things are done is sooo bad then why even follow it in the first place?

well it should. the fans are the sport. without fans, the sport would shrivel and die.

just today the fans of the EPL killed the European Super League...it is indeed possible that fans can advocate on their own behalf...and make meaningful change.

I'm all for the players having all the success in the world...but I think there must be some reforms that are possible to save the NCAABB and also allow the players unfettered avenues to success.

I just don't get how people seem to be all on the side of the process that is going to destroy the sport of the team (SU) / NCAABB that they follow...

if the way things are done is sooo bad then why even follow it in the first place?
The business of college basketball might be about the fans, but the essence of college basketball should be about the student athletes. What is best for them? What is the most fair for them?

again you don’t seem to get it...my point saying that the fans don’t matter isn’t suggesting it’s what I want, it’s reality.

the players will continue to leave. Eventually the best players won’t come at all.

it’s just what’s going to happen.

again you don’t seem to get it...my point saying that the fans don’t matter isn’t suggesting it’s what I want, it’s reality.

the players will continue to leave. Eventually the best players won’t come at all.

yeah. its is highly highly likely...

I think if there were some visionary changes made it could save NCAABB but not optimistic they will happen.

I think it is possible that NCAABB could be changed in such a way that it would be the best option for amateur players who will play in the NBA...but very difficult to make happen.
Uhhhhhhhhh?
I just meant getting to NBA via Gleague as opposed to getting drafted is the "hard way" of making it...easier to get drafted.

Anyway...I have derailed this thread long enough...sorry.

Happy to see Brisssett achieve his goals!!!!

I disagree with the premise as an absolute. Players need to get to a certain level Before they can play against grown men. Do you think Etan would have had the same career he did had he left as a freshman when he could not Make basic offensive moves? Sending him up to the NBA as a freshman would have been no different than sending a seventh grader up to high school varsity. It is almost impossible for a player to improve against competition where he is absolutely overmatched. Yes you want to play against guys better than you to improve but only to a limit.
Nobody is saying that players should stay for four years if they are ready. But I also don’t believe that every player should leave and cannot get better in college. I know you and many others disagree but I think had Oshae stayed for another year and improved his handle, his jumper, (especially his finishing no player missed more bunnies than sophomore Oshae and man was that frustrating!) and his overall understanding of the game, he would have been drafted and made a lot more money sooner. The route he took is far more risky especially since he never got guaranteed money right off the bat.

And college hoops will take a step down in quality but probably be a better product closer to what was intended while developmental pay for play leagues be it the GLeague or others provide what some of the best players are really looking for.

We are at the very early stages of this but it seems momentum is continuing plus I wouldn't trust the NCAA to take all the necessary steps for athlete compensation to slow it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom