Oshae Brissett: Celtics | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett: Celtics

Wait people still think NCAA basketball is a training ground for NBA players? Really?
it is. what % NBA players played at least a season in NCAABB? 90%? 80%?

do you think all players leave NCAABB exactly the same player they were when they entered???????

Theres a lot of players who dont improve or dont use it well...but NCAABB is and always has been a great place for a basketball player to improve and become a professional. If it wasnt, they would stop signing up.

Wait people still think NCAA basketball is a training ground for NBA players? Really?
what season do you think Luca Garza's draft stock has been the highest? Id guess this year his senior season.

do you think all players leave NCAABB exactly the same player they were when they entered???????

Theres a lot of players who dont improve or dont use it well...but NCAABB is and always has been a great place for a basketball player to improve and become a professional. If it wasnt, they would stop signing up.
They HAVE to sign up. If they didn’t all the best players would bypass college hoops. This isn’t 30 years ago. There is nothing about the NBA game and the college game that is all that similar. If the top high school kids could go straight into the league your percentage would fall to about 10 percent. You will have a few out of nowhere guys like Ja but those will be exceptions.

"They would stop signing up"

They HAVE to sign-up dude. NCAAB is NOT training grounds for the NBA. Not even close. It's just a filter that the NBA teams use to root out any potential flame-outs. Not perfect, but it helps...hence the rule being created. Corporations > Individuals.

Hope he can find a consistent spot on a roster and get real minutes too.

They HAVE to sign up. If they didn’t all the best players would bypass college hoops. This isn’t 30 years ago. There is nothing about the NBA game and the college game that is all that similar. If the top high school kids could go straight into the league your percentage would fall to about 10 percent. You will have a few out of nowhere guys like Ja but those will be exceptions.

I think the college game would be just as popular because it represents markets too small for the pros. The schools and the communities they reside in rely on them to tell the rest of the nation that they are here. if it means that you've got a team of Joe Girards instead of a team of Kadari Richmonds, so be it. They are still our team. And coaches would have them for four years and really be able to build a team - of guys who really want a degree.

I think the college game would be just as popular because it represents markets too small for the pros. The schools and the communities they reside in rely on them to tell the rest of the nation that they are here. if it means that you've got a team of Joe Girards instead of a team of Kadari Richmonds, so be it. They are still our team. And coaches would have them for four years and really be able to build a team - of guys who really want a degree.
That’s fine but is sort of a tangent of my point which just had to do with CBB not being a training ground for NBA. It’s not one

That’s fine but is sort of a tangent of my point which just had to do with CBB not being a training ground for NBA. It’s not one

I agree with that point: it's a path to the NBA but it doesn't train you to be an NBA player. Maybe we need Academies of Sport or Schools of Athletics where becoming a professional athlete is an actual course of study instead of an extra curricular activity. Tech them how to play at a professional level, how to read a contract, basic investments, public speaking, true physical education, (nutrition, S&C), coaching techniques in case that might be their future, etc. It's better than pretending that they are going to be sociologists.

Last edited:
I agree with that point: it's a path to the NBA but it doesn't train you to be an NBA player. Maybe we need Academies of Sport or Schools of Athletics where becoming a professional athlete is an actual course of study instead of an extra curricular activity. Tech them how to play at a professional level, how to read a contract, basic investments, public speaking, true physical education, (nutrition, S&C), coaching techniques in case that might be their future, etc. It's better than pretend that they are going to be sociologists.
Yup. This is where we totally fail these athletes.

the rookie of the year this year in NBA didnt play NCAABB...there are alternatives.

Yup. This is where we totally fail these athletes.
Yep. There is plenty of time for them to figure out what they want to do with their life and go to school if need be when they retire in their late 20's.early 30's. As long as they've saved their thousands and invested wisely they should have no problem continuing to raise their young family and start a path to a new career/life. This really should be the primary path to professional basketball. Just like baseball. Granted college baseball is more relevant than it used to be but the best players still never stay more than 3 years.

I agree with that point: it's a path to the NBA but it doesn't train you to be an NBA player. Maybe we need Academies of Sport or Schools of Athletics where becoming a professional athlete is an actual course of study instead of an extra curricular activity. Tech them how to play at a professional level, how to read a contract, basic investments, public speaking, true physical education, (nutrition, S&C), coaching techniques in case that might be their future, etc. It's better than pretending that they are going to be sociologists.

That would be fine if what they are learning is (i) broad based enough to useful to them if they don’t make it or (ii) is being offered at a time when it’s clear who is going to make it and who isn’t so that those that aren’t going to make aren’t completely distracted from developing skills that can be useful to them.

It's actually really strange to me that we don't do that.

This is where I imagine all the elite prospects will gravitate to.

It's actually really strange to me that we don't do that.
I've been banging that drum for years. One the one hand, it's so strange that colleges offer degree programs in things like music, drama, art, and the like, but not athletics.

On the other hand, they don't because, up until quite recently, that would have blown a giant hole in the "student athlete" myth. And since any actor, or musician, can make make all the money they want for performing their skill, while an athlete cannot, colleges couldn't offer this very logical field of study.

I've been banging that drum for years. One the one hand, it's so strange that colleges offer degree programs in things like music, drama, art, and the like, but not athletics.

On the other hand, the don't because, up until quite recently, that would have blown a giant hole in the "student athlete" myth. And since any actor, or musician, can make make any money they want for performing their skill, while an athlete cannot, colleges couldn't offer this very logical field of study.
Eh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom