OT- 2013 Iditarod | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT- 2013 Iditarod

Some pictures for you guys:
130306-2D3402.jpg

130305-1D3348.jpg

Rudy ^^

130304-2d2701.jpg

losing dogs? I'm surprised the government hasn't stepped in yet and put a stop to this race.

losing dogs? I'm surprised the government hasn't stepped in yet and put a stop to this race.

I guess instead of saying "losing dogs" I should say "dropped dogs" They have dog drops at every checkpoint. And I'm pretty sure each CP has vets on hand. They drop dogs for all sorts of reasons

Dropped Dog Care

by Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM
I have often been asked about dogs that are dropped from the race. Long-distance sled dog races, such as the Iditarod, require mushers to finish with only those dogs who started the race. Although none may be added to the team after the start, they can be dropped at any checkpoint and for any reason. A maximum of sixteen dogs may start in an Iditarod team, and at least five are required to be in harness to officially finish. Reasons for dropping dogs are numerous. Attitude problems, fatigue, illness, immaturity, injury, being “in heat,” lack of speed and musher strategy, are the more common ones.
The race typically consists of over 1,000 canine participants along an 1,100+ mile trail, during a two week period. Obviously, we must be prepared to address almost any possible medical condition, just as with any other large population over time.
An elaborate system has been established to care for and transport dropped dogs so that they can safely return to their home kennels. Preparations begin long before the race start. Local Contact Forms are completed for each team. Persons serving as “local contacts” for a musher must be located within one hour of Anchorage. These individuals are responsible for picking up dropped dogs for a given musher after the animals arrive back from the trail.
Dog Care Agreement Forms are also completed prior to the race and specify which veterinary clinic a particular musher’s dogs should be taken to in the event of the need for medical treatment.
During the race, mushers must complete a Dropped Dog Form before releasing a canine from competition. An explanation of the reason(s) for dropping is requested along with the mushers name and dog identification. Typically, if an illness or injury is present, a veterinarian has already examined the animal. In the event that this has not taken place, an examination is performed as soon as possible. Any previous relevant medications administered and current treatments are also recorded on the form, in addition to the name(s) of the veterinarian(s) completing the exam.
Also indicated on the Dropped Dog Form is the “condition status.” Although rare, dogs with potentially life-threatening conditions are designated “Red.” This status receives the highest level of priority, and every effort is made to stabilize the animal and immediately arrange for an air evacuation to a well-equipped medical facility. Dogs undergoing treatment for anything of a lesser nature are designated as “Blue” and depart on the next routine flight. All remaining dogs are officially considered to be “White” and will be flown out in an orderly fashion.
The Dropped Dog Forms are completed in quadruplicate. The bottom copy goes to the checker for documentation of dropped dog numbers. The top two copies leave a checkpoint with the appropriate dog, with one going to dropped dog personnel in Anchorage and the other traveling home with the animal. The third copy remains with the last veterinarian to leave the checkpoint.
All dropped dogs from the east side of the Alaska Range are flown back to Anchorage via small airplanes provided by the Iditarod Air Force. McGrath serves as a hub for checkpoints in the interior. Typically, the “Air Force” flies dogs from smaller interior checkpoints to McGrath, where commercial carriers (Northern Air Cargo and PenAir) then transport them back to Anchorage. Unalakleet serves as a coastal hub with the same protocol. Dropped dogs from the last two to three coastal checkpoints will move to Nome, where they are usually reunited with their teams and flown back with them on Alaska Airlines.
As hub locations, McGrath, Unalakleet and Nome have appropriately larger numbers of dropped dog personnel. At each of these, veterinarians are present to evaluate and re-evaluate dropped dogs moving through the system. The final examination by Iditarod veterinarians occurs when each animal returns to Anchorage, prior to being released.
In conclusion, it is critical that mushers, sponsors, veterinarians and lay personnel work as a team for the best possible animal care. Dropped dog management is an important part of our commitment to this goal.

What's worse, is at the conclusion of the race, the mushers have to cook and eat the remainder of their dogs. PETA does not like this, but it is consistent with Alaska Native ceremonial traditions. It's the circle of life.

Section314 - your Berington twins have been going back and forth with Rudy for two days. They are now about 20 miles ahead of him. One sister got hung up on a stump monday morning, but her sister was close behind to help her get off, and repair the sled.

Yeah, I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that Rudy has remained so close to the 29 year old, hot blonde twins in the race :D

Rudy pulled into Mcgrath at 10:45 Alaska time.. About half an hour ago. It will be interesting to see how long he stays there. He has about 5 mushers who pulled in within half an hour of him.. Rough terrain ahead tho.

CuseTroop... I love your posts in this thread. I am learning about a totally new sport (for me)!

this is a very cool video. After the 2 minute mark it shows all the mushers going by, with some very cool commentary. Rudy goes by right at the 6 minute mark

Mushing Terms-

ATV: All terrain vehicle
Big Su: Refers to the Big Susitna River
Boonies: A non-rural or urban area, generally an area where no one lives.
Booties: A type of sock that is made to protect the dog’s feet from small cuts and sores. These are made out of various materials, i.e., denim, polar fleece, trigger cloth, etc.
Burled Arch: The finish line in Nome
By-Pass Mail: Service provided by US Mail System for remote villages to get mail and goods delivered. By-Pass Mail has been used to ship everything from toilet paper to refrigerators.
Come Gee! Come Haw! Commands for 180 degree turns in either direction.
Dog in Basket: Tired or injured dog carried in the sled
Double Lead: Two dogs who lead the team side by side.
Dropped Dog: A dog that the musher has dropped from his team at a checkpoint. The dog is cared for at the checkpoint until it is flown back to Anchorage to the musher’s handlers.
Gee: Command for right turn
Haw: Command for left turn
Heet: Alcohol based fuel used by mushers in their cook stoves on the trail.
Husky: Any northern type dog.
Indian Dog: An Alaskan Husky from an Indian village.
Last Frontier: Alaska’s State motto. Alaska was the last frontier in the United States
Lead Dog or Leader: Dog who runs in front of others. Generally must be both intelligent and fast.
Line Out! Command to lead dog to pull the team out straight from the sled. Used mostly while hooking dogs into team or unhooking them.
Malamute: Term often used by old timers for any sled dog. Larger husky
Mush! Hike! All Right! Let’s Go! Commands to start the team
Neck Line: Line that connects dog’s collar to tow line and between the two collars of a double lead.
Outside: Any place in the lower 48 states.
Overflow: When the ice gets so thick that the water has nowhere to go, it pushes up and over the ice. This overflow often gets a thin layer of ice when the temperature drops making it dangerous to cross.
Pacing: Leading a team with some sort of motorized vehicle that can set the ‘pace’ at a specific speed.
Pedaling: Pushing the sled with one foot while the other remains on the runner
Rigging: Collection of lines to which dogs are attached. Includes tow line, tug lines and neck lines
Rookie: A musher who is running the race for the first time or who has never completed the race.
Runners: The two bottom pieces of the sled which come in contact with the snow. They extend back of the basket for the driver to stand on. Runner bottoms are usually wood, covered with plastic or Teflon. This plastic or Teflon is usually replaced at least once during the race.
Siberian Husky: Medium sized (average 50 pounds) northern breed of dog, recognized by the American Kennel Club. Siberians usually have blue eyes.
Slats: Thin strips of wood which make up the bottom of a wooden sled basket. Note: Toboggan sleds have a sheet of plastic as the bottom for their basket
Snow Hook or Ice Hook: Heavy piece of metal attached to sled by line. The snow hook is embedded in the snow in order to hold the team and sled for a short period of time.
Snub Line: Rope attached to the sled which is used to tie the sled to a tree or other object.
Stake: Metal or wooden post driven into the ground to which dog is tied
Swing Dog or Dogs: Dog that runs directly behind the leader. Further identified as right or left swing depending on which side of the tow line he is positioned on. His job is to help “swing” the team in the turns or curves.
Team Dog: Any dog other than those described above.
Termination Dust: The first snow that covers the top of the mountain in the fall. So called because this is a sign of the termination of summer in Alaska.
Tether Line: A long chain with shorter pieces of chain extending from it. Used to stake out a team when stakes aren’t available.
Toggles: Small pieces of ivory or wood used by Eskimos to fasten tug lines to harnesses
Trail!: Request for right-of-way on the trail.
Tug Line: Line that connects dog’s harness to the tow line.
Wheel Dogs or Wheelers: Dogs placed directly in front of the sled. Their job is to pull the sled out and around corners or trees.
Whoa!: Command used to halt the team, accompanied by heavy pressure on the brake

Here ya go cto, take a litte ride with Ms. Roalofs.. She pulled into McGrath about 40 minutes after Rudy

Great video. Thanks. It gave me a good idea of what it is like.

Local Weather Alert
Winter Weather Advisory for Lower Yukon Valley, AK
From 3:00 AM AKST, Thu., Mar 07, 2013until 12:00 AM AKST, Fri., Mar 08, 2013
Other affected areas:

Lower Yukon Valley, AK
Issued by The National Weather Service
Fairbanks, AK
Wed, Mar 6, 2013, 2:46 PMAKST
Local Radar Map
Updated Mar 6, 2013, 3:25pm AKST
… WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT AKST THURSDAY NIGHT…
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FAIRBANKS HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR WIND AND FREEZING RAIN… WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT AKST THURSDAY NIGHT.
* FREEZING RAIN… WILL MIX WITH SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON.
* WIND… EAST 25 TO 35 MPH GUSTING TO 50 MPH.
* TIMING… CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE IN THE MORNING.
* IMPACTS… TRAVEL AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES MAY BE DIFFICULT.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT ONE OR MORE WINTER WEATHER HAZARDS ARE EXPECTED TO CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES

There goes the nice weather they have been having

Here ya go cto, take a litte ride with Ms. Roalofs.. She pulled into McGrath about 40 minutes after Rudy

Too bad they haven't invented aromatic videos. The dogs take leave on the run. If not used to it you are in for a surprise.

One other comment. There is an Alaskan expression - If you are the wheel dog the view never changes.

45460_10151783649573452_1699840645_n.jpg

As you can see, alot of land still left to travel. Rudy is currently in McGrath where he decided to take his mandatory 24 hour lay over. Alot of mushers took that lay over last night. I called Rudys village "Anvik" yesterday to see if they had heard anything of him. No phone calls yet, but I'm sure he called while he was in McGrath. Ill try the village again today.

I have a feeling Rudy will make up some really good time once they hit the Yukon. Rudy grew up there, mushed it his whole life. He has alot of ground to make up, I believe he is about 120 miles behind the leaders. I'm not saying he is going to win this thing, but I dont expect him to be in the back half for to long.

I was messing around with some times, and saw that Rudy has made it from check point to checkpoint almost as quick, or quicker then alot of the leaders. Whats killing him is down time. If I remember right, for the first 5 check points, Lance Mackey didnt stay in one longer then 11 minutes. Rudy has been stopping for atleast an hour each time. Is age getting to the ol bugger? When I spoke to him a few days before the race he had said he wanted to try the first 30 hours non stop.

Either way, he is on the trail and I have high hopes he will make it to Nome. After all, he knows there will be booze there.

Should be pulling out of McGrath in about 10 minutes. I'll keep you posted. Go Rudy!

Rudy.jpg

Rudy in McGrath feeding his pups.

"
Parked just around the corner from McGrath Checkpoint’s front door is Rudy Demoski. It’s been 28 years since Rudy last stood on the runners for an Iditarod. He’s experienced three very different eras of Iditarod. In the late 70’s Iditarod was a camping trip compared to the race we know today. He ran in 1985 when Libby Riddels won the race initiating dominance by women for the last half of the 1980’s. Now he’s running in a very high speed, high tech Iditarod complete with GPS tracker."

"Rudy prepared a gourmet meal for his athletes – soaked kibble, lamb and beef. Twelve pairs of eyes watched every move Rudy made in preparing dinner. When he placed the bowls by each dog, it didn’t take any coaxing to get them to dive in."

"He’s commented on how the trail has improved since his last run. He wasn’t looking forward to the Happy River Steps or the Dalzell Gorge on his return to the trail. Actually he put it this way, “I didn’t want to see the steps or the gorge so I ran them at night. I couldn’t see too far ahead so I just reacted to what was right in front of me. The steps were in great condition and the gorge was no problem at all.”

lol

I really appreciate your postings. Thanks...

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm going to branch out and start talking about the leaders here soon (but will still keep letting you know how Rudy is doing). I'm learning a ton about the sport, I didnt realize how much there was to it lol.

Rudy is back on the move. I forgot to calculate the staggered start, which means Rudys 24 hour layover was really a 24:56 hour layover. Right now he is moving at 10.9 MPH. I guess those dogs are feeling better!

Rudy made it to Takotna, took him 2 hours and 20 minutes. I dont imagine he will stay long, as its only 23 miles to the next checkpoint "Ophir".

Right now your leader is Martin Buser, who left Iditarod at 2pm this afternoon.
Lance Mackey is still doing his 24 hour layover in Iditarod, and should be able to leave around 9ish tonight.
Sonny Lindner, Jeff King, Aaron Burmeister, and Mitch Seavey are all sitting in Iditarod.

Rudy checked into Ophir at 7:10 pm AK time. Wonder if he will leave for the Iditarod checkpoint tonight? 80 miles to Iditarod...bet he will spend the night in Ophir. Haul a$$ in the morning.

Rudy checked into Ophir at 7:10 pm AK time. Wonder if he will leave for the Iditarod checkpoint tonight? 80 miles to Iditarod...bet he will spend the night in Ophir. Haul a$$ in the morning.

Looks like he hung out long enough to feed the dogs and get a nap in. Left Ophir at 10:22 last night. Looks like he took a rest from 4am to 4:30. I bet it was at "dons cabin" a little shack on the trail, and a popular resting point. He's running 8.9 mph now, lil more then 30 miles from Iditarod.

Rudy pulled into Iditarod at 1:48 this afternoon. He made the 80 mile trip in 15h 48m. Lance Mackey made the same trip in 14h 51m so Rudy put up a pretty respectable run. Its hard to say how long he will stay in Iditarod, the next checkpoint is Shageluk, 55 miles away, and his native village Anvik is another 25 miles past there. I'm gonna guess he hangs out in Iditarod for about 5 or 6 hours. Rudy is 405 miles into the race.

Martin Buser is your race leader, the guy is flying. He has already completed his 24 hour layover, and his 8 hour layover on the Yukon. He is going to be tough to beat