OT: 50 Coldest Cities in U.S. | Syracusefan.com

OT: 50 Coldest Cities in U.S.

A list that doesn't have International Falls, MN, Saranac Lake, NY or Bozeman MT (I wintered there) ain't a real list.
Populations? Cities had to have a certain population size to qualify

Syracuse is quite balmy compared to the other cities however it is also one of the snowiest.

Spent a winter in Minot, ND and it was bone chilling cold but sunny most every day - mentally easier than a warmer place that is cloudy most of the winter. However i returned.

Spent a winter in Minot, ND and it was bone chilling cold but sunny most every day - mentally easier than a warmer place that is cloudy most of the winter. However i returned.

Headed to Minot in mid-March to see my son who's at the AFB. Hope it warms up a little by then. Don't know if these Texas bones can handle the cold.

Headed to Minot in mid-March to see my son who's at the AFB. Hope it warms up a little by then. Don't know if these Texas bones can handle the cold.
When I was active duty, the phrase was "Why not Minot?" You will find out soon enough. So glad I was never assigned there. Having grown up in Syracuse, the thought of a longer and deeper winter simply did not appeal to me. This old Sergeant enjoyed being stationed in Arizona the most.

P.S. Thanks to your son for serving and to you and your family for supporting him. There is a real price being paid by all of you, I appreciate your family's sacrifice.

When I was active duty, the phrase was "Why not Minot?" You will find out soon enough. So glad I was never assigned there. Having grown up in Syracuse, the thought of a longer and deeper winter simply did not appeal to me. This old Sergeant enjoyed being stationed in Arizona the most.

P.S. Thanks to your son for serving and to you and your family for supporting him. There is a real price being paid by all of you, I appreciate your family's sacrifice.

Thanks Htown. Thanks to you as well. Right now, he's scheduled to go from one of the coldest spots in the US, to one of the hottest in the world - Qatar - in September. Though, we did get some cryptic message that that may change to another location that he can't disclose to us. :confused:

Thanks Htown. Thanks to you as well. Right now, he's scheduled to go from one of the coldest spots in the US, to one of the hottest in the world - Qatar - in September. Though, we did get some cryptic message that that may change to another location that he can't disclose to us. :confused:

Those assignments can be tough. On everyone. Know that he will appreciate his family more than he knew.

Only in the first year or two. I spent 3 winters in Superior WI/Duluth, MN and by year 3 I was falling into depression from being holed up so damn much. When I came back to Syracuse, I thought I was in the tropics.

Qatar isn't terrible. Of course, I was there in the winter months. Saudi in summer was hot, but, again, I lucked out with the nightshift so it was pretty comfortable on duty. Best wishes to your son.

Fairbanks is cold. No doubt. The only time I was there, I was talking with bartender in September. It was pretty nice out and she said, "yeah, it'll be like 65 one day and the next we're pluggin' our cars in." In anchorage, I was talking to someone who had visited Syracuse as a prospective student in the winter, she said it was a lot colder than she expected. Buffalo, WY in February is probably the coldest place I've been; ~0F with a 40 mph wind. All I wanted was a hot shower at night and the hotel had the water temp set to lukewarm. :(

haha I think about it often.. Alaska is a hard place to leave.

upload_2017-2-15_10-45-26.png

I was based in Grand Forks, ND. The winters were long and cold but they never got that much snow. The wind would blow the snow that wouldn't melt. I remember changing a tire on my car without a coat on when it was 5 below. It was a dry cold and the snow was like sand.

I was based in Grand Forks, ND. The winters were long and cold but they never got that much snow. The wind would blow the snow that wouldn't melt. I remember changing a tire on my car without a coat on when it was 5 below. It was a dry cold and the snow was like sand.

Another place I am glad the Air Force did not require my presence. I like the warm weather, "shoveling" sunshine all winter is much easier on the back. We have it bad in Houston when the temp falls into the 40's and terrible when we hit the 30's. I can take the hot and humid summers in Htown (though I prefer the hot and dry summers of Arizona) over the long cold winters in the north.

I admit that all military members I met that served in Alaska may have hated the cold but they loved Alaska. Alaska is on my bucket list but I will make it an easy visit in the summer tourist season.

Another place I am glad the Air Force did not require my presence. I like the warm weather, "shoveling" sunshine all winter is much easier on the back. We have it bad in Houston when the temp falls into the 40's and terrible when we hit the 30's. I can take the hot and humid summers in Htown (though I prefer the hot and dry summers of Arizona) over the long cold winters in the north.

I admit that all military members I met that served in Alaska may have hated the cold but they loved Alaska. Alaska is on my bucket list but I will make it an easy visit in the summer tourist season.

Hit me up if you make the trip!

Any time I imagine moving back to the lower 48, I always get this weird feeling that I'd just want to move right back to Alaska. Idk.. Something about this place..

To each their own, of course.

Any time I imagine moving back to the lower 48, I always get this weird feeling that I'd just want to move right back to Alaska. Idk.. Something about this place..

I'm personally way more happy in cold climates than hot climates. I would choose Alaska over somewhere like Florida in a second.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom