OT: A little mass exodus of players at BC ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: A little mass exodus of players at BC ?

I guess the question that I have is about the Freshmen that are leaving the program. Upon further research however I only see one of the guys from the OP's list as a listed Addazio 2013 Scholarship Recruit (QB-Mack Lowrie) so we may be missing some stars to indicate walk-ons that may have been given surplus schollies last season. OT-Win Homer is a 2012 guy so previous staff. Probably a standard purge, but it's still a little strange to have freshmen leave the program when he was the coach when they arrived.

I guess the question that I have is about the Freshmen that are leaving the program. Upon further research however I only see one of the guys from the OP's list as a listed Addazio 2013 Scholarship Recruit (QB-Mack Lowrie) so we may be missing some stars to indicate walk-ons that may have been given surplus schollies last season. OT-Win Homer is a 2012 guy so previous staff. Probably a standard purge, but it's still a little strange to have freshmen leave the program when he was the coach when they arrived.

I think the site I got the list from had some of the years incorrect, but they could have been redshirts/grayshirts also. If you go to the following link you can see the BC roster from last year and when these guys committed. http://bostoncollege. .com/Season/2013-Football/Roster (plug in 247)

The fact that scholarships are renewed annually is one of the biggest arguments for paying college athletes. I'm not sure how anyone can justify that the athlete can't leave without penalty, but the college can cut his scholarship at any time. plus if he's getting paid with a "free education", the value is in the degree, not in having two years of college under your belt. So the guys that get cut essentially got no compensation for playing.

You have to be either completely immoral or a total idiot to think the current system is even remotely justifiable. I know it will have massive impacts on college athletics if the ruling stands, many of which will negatively impact Syracuse - but the Northwestern decision is absolutely, 110% the right one.

If colleges could have done the ethical thing and accepted that they were on the hook for four years when they offered the scholie, they wouldn't have put themselves in this position. But by creating what is effectively a non-negotiable 'contract' with such disgustingly biased terms, they've put themselves in this position of trying defend an indefensible position.

CuseLegacy said:
I think the site I got the list from had some of the years incorrect, but they could have been redshirts/grayshirts also. If you go to the following link you can see the BC roster from last year and when these guys committed. http://bostoncollege. .com/Season/2013-Football/Roster (plug in 247)

Ah gotcha yeah any purge is a problem, young players is bad news and now that I think about it players without transferable eligibility at this level is just cruel too. Fan95's 1 year scholarship discussion is right on point.

The fact that scholarships are renewed annually is one of the biggest arguments for paying college athletes. I'm not sure how anyone can justify that the athlete can't leave without penalty, but the college can cut his scholarship at any time. plus if he's getting paid with a "free education", the value is in the degree, not in having two years of college under your belt. So the guys that get cut essentially got no compensation for playing.

You have to be either completely immoral or a total idiot to think the current system is even remotely justifiable. I know it will have massive impacts on college athletics if the ruling stands, many of which will negatively impact Syracuse - but the Northwestern decision is absolutely, 110% the right one.

If colleges could have done the ethical thing and accepted that they were on the hook for four years when they offered the scholie, they wouldn't have put themselves in this position. But by creating what is effectively a non-negotiable 'contract' with such disgustingly biased terms, they've put themselves in this position of trying defend an indefensible position.

I disagree that the decision was the right one. But for different reasons.
I agree that a scholarship should be a commitment by the school for four years, unless the player decides to leave.

But there are bigger issues here that should be addressed rather than deciding whether or not players should be paid as employees. I have discussed them here ad nauseam, and I'm sure readers don't want to hear another diatribe from me on this subject. But let me try once more...

There are several groups here who need to be considered: the players, the schools, the fans, the pro teams, and yes even the coaches. Of these groups, our first and most important responsibility is to the players. Everyone else is in a distant second. So what is our responsibility to them? To see that they are prepared for the pros? To see that they get the best gear from Nike? To see that they get their share of the big bucks? No, our responsibility is to see that they get an education. Football is just a means to get there. It is not a job.

We need to turn this around 180 degrees and focus on education...on the student aspect of the student athlete. We need to do whatever is necessary so that minor leagues exist in football and basketball, allowing kids to go straight from high school, or from McDonalds, or wherever into those sports. If players want to make money, that's where the money should be. Age requirement 18. That's it. If you are good enough to play for pay, that's your route. If you want an education, in order to better yourself, scholarships to schools are available. The schools (and the ncaa) need to see that kids are getting an education, because that's what they are there for...not a path to the NFL. Yes, coaches salaries will go down...Nike endorsements will go down. TV revenues will go down... In the current situation, the vast majority of students athletes will never be good enough to play in the NFL. Let's not fool them just to make money and put on a show for the fans. It's dishonest, and it undermines the value of an education. And we are in huge business of education after all. Let's make this work to get real educations for kids who want to be accountants, and entrepreneurs, and engineers, and teachers, and stop putting all of our efforts into turning out NFL players. We should be ashamed.

Do that, and you don't need to pay them. They are not employees in my system.

None of this is beyond the ability of colleges to implement RIGHT NOW. The problem is that THEY DO NOT WANT TO. Your idea is excellent in theory...but exactly why would colleges give up the revenue of the current system? To run a more ethical, honest business? You are truly an idealist, colleges are run by some of the least ethical human beings walking the planet today - there is absolutely no chance they will take the ethical path if it causes them to lose revenues. It's part of why so many educators have a bad opinion of big business - they see what a crummy collection of human filth run the universities they work at and assume its gotta be even worse in the "real world".

The NCAA needs multiple kicks to the crotch to finally realize that the gravy train they've enjoyed for so long - while selling the student-athlete myth they have no true interest in - is coming to an end whether they like it or not.

None of this is beyond the ability of colleges to implement RIGHT NOW. The problem is that THEY DO NOT WANT TO. Your idea is excellent in theory...but exactly why would colleges give up the revenue of the current system? To run a more ethical, honest business? You are truly an idealist, colleges are run by some of the least ethical human beings walking the planet today - there is absolutely no chance they will take the ethical path if it causes them to lose revenues. It's part of why so many educators have a bad opinion of big business - they see what a crummy collection of human filth run the universities they work at and assume its gotta be even worse in the "real world".

The NCAA needs multiple kicks to the crotch to finally realize that the gravy train they've enjoyed for so long - while selling the student-athlete myth they have no true interest in - is coming to an end whether they like it or not.

Yes, I am an idealist. True change requires idealism. I'm not naive enough to think this is likely to happen. Hell, there's enough push back on this board alone -- just among fans who don't want things change -- for me to think that this would be easy. But when people start talking about why we need to do "the right thing" and start paying the players, I'm going to respond. We are so far away from "the right thing" that most people cannot even recognize it. I'm just trying to point it out to them. My opinion of course.

People want change. I want REAL change. If that means trying to put the genie back in the bottle, so be it. That's what I want.

We had Torian Phillips leave in early 2010, around the time of the great Marrone purge, he was a Marrone recruit from the first Marrone class in 2009 and he even played some as a true frosh. I believe he left to be closer to sick relatives, so maybe there's more to the Lowrie case - could just be a timing coincidence.

You have to be either completely immoral or a total idiot to think the current system is even remotely justifiable.

Always a great way to express your opinion - completely insult and offend anyone that has a differing opinion.

• 4-year scholarships
  • student-athlete representation on rules (and other) committees
  • full cost of attendance stipends
That's it... for all sports. Do football & basketball generate most (all) revenues? Yup. Too bad. Without women's teams there's no football team. Deal with it.

I don't see how this is any different than what HCDM did...on the surface I have no issues with it. BTW, his son should be eligible to play this year. I wouldn't be surprised if BC adds 1 or 2 JUCO kids in the next few weeks.

Sure it is nice to say a kid should be guaranteed a scholie for 4 years...but once a kid realizes the NFL isn't in the cards I think some would start slacking off...and giving the bare minimum. Every kid is a unique case and I think SU has helped some to get scholies to 1-AA programs. The badly injured get to stay on for four years as a medical hardship.

I know this is an old thread but players keep leaving and after some "analysts" at CBS said Cuse would finish behind BC I decided to look and see what was going on with them.

Austin Tedesco@Tedescau Follow
Redshirt freshman quarterback James Walsh has left the BC football team, BC confirms. Murphy, Wade, and Flutie only QBs on roster now.

Walsh was a redshirt freshman and was listed second on the Eagles’ depth chart behind starter Tyler Murphy, the senior transfer from Florida. He was a 3-star recruit in the 2013 class and rated the No. 22 quarterback in the nation by Rovals.

So far at the QB position four-year starter Chase Rettig graduated. Josh Bordner, the backup to Rettig, moved to wide receiver. Christian Suntrup’s career was ended due to a back injury. Mack Lowrie transferred to Rhode Island. Austin Lommen is no longer in the program.

They are now left with three quarterbacks on the roster — Murphy and true freshmen Darius Wade and Troy Flutie.

I disagree that the decision was the right one. But for different reasons.
I agree that a scholarship should be a commitment by the school for four years, unless the player decides to leave.

But there are bigger issues here that should be addressed rather than deciding whether or not players should be paid as employees. I have discussed them here ad nauseam, and I'm sure readers don't want to hear another diatribe from me on this subject. But let me try once more...

There are several groups here who need to be considered: the players, the schools, the fans, the pro teams, and yes even the coaches. Of these groups, our first and most important responsibility is to the players. Everyone else is in a distant second. So what is our responsibility to them? To see that they are prepared for the pros? To see that they get the best gear from Nike? To see that they get their share of the big bucks? No, our responsibility is to see that they get an education. Football is just a means to get there. It is not a job.

We need to turn this around 180 degrees and focus on education...on the student aspect of the student athlete. We need to do whatever is necessary so that minor leagues exist in football and basketball, allowing kids to go straight from high school, or from McDonalds, or wherever into those sports. If players want to make money, that's where the money should be. Age requirement 18. That's it. If you are good enough to play for pay, that's your route. If you want an education, in order to better yourself, scholarships to schools are available. The schools (and the ncaa) need to see that kids are getting an education, because that's what they are there for...not a path to the NFL. Yes, coaches salaries will go down...Nike endorsements will go down. TV revenues will go down... In the current situation, the vast majority of students athletes will never be good enough to play in the NFL. Let's not fool them just to make money and put on a show for the fans. It's dishonest, and it undermines the value of an education. And we are in huge business of education after all. Let's make this work to get real educations for kids who want to be accountants, and entrepreneurs, and engineers, and teachers, and stop putting all of our efforts into turning out NFL players. We should be ashamed.

If you add some sort of stipend so that these kids can have some sort of social life, go home more often, have their parents come to a game or two, AND somehow get them a seat at the table - then you got me. Nice thoughts.