OT- all this talk about Jab | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT- all this talk about Jab

I am not on this forum to argue w/ anyone. Just trying to lend some experience as to what I have seen over the yrs. I wear orange goggles and my blood is orange. When I was young I found fault w/ everything Jab did, as I grew older I realised he ha d a method. He's an outstanding coach, husband, contributor to the community, and fiercly loyal to anyone in his program. I've watched him stand toe to toe w/ John Thompson, the ncaa, and anyone who he thinks is taking advantage of his kids. Just saying to all the people calling for his head, very tough job and I think he has done well. Not to say I agree w/ everything he does , but , look at the long run.

Pulaski: "He's an outstanding coach, husband, contributor to the community, and fiercly loyal to anyone in his program."
Dasher: "How do you know what kind of husband jb is?"
Pulaski: "I don't think thats any of your business, and why would you ask a silly question like that, I do not recall anything in my post to receive a reply like that."

Pulaski, did you smoke a ton of weed after your original post?

may have been wrong??? MAY??? Drink the JB Kool-aid much? I'd like to hear you or I speak about a kid like that to the media that and get away with it. You'd be tarred 'n feathered.

So what has JB done in 40 years that any Joe Blow off the street couldn't have accomplished? Here are some facts, not opinions...

He was a no-name coach coming in. He was handed the Carrier Dome right at the onset of his career, a powerhouse Big East conference in the 80's which was lucrative for TVs limited gaming options at the time, which naturally led to a bevy of top talent flocking his way to be on national tv and play in front 30k audience... teams that had Addison/Pearl/Coleman/Owens/Douglas/Seikaly/Thompson, etc. All those teams had between 7-9 losses??? No excuse for that. You think those kids came to play for JB or the Dome/TV? He never once won the regular season n Big East title in the same year... while Uconn n Gtown did it numerous times.

He's the only coach in America who has 1 game plan, and doesn't adjust his scheme (or lack thereof) regardless of the opponent. His offense can't score and has been a recurring theme for years now. Has he shown to develop the bigs on the team over the last few years... or does he just whine about em when he loses? Does he ever take responsibility for loses?

He's Mr. November with numerous early season titles, but when the real tournament starts.. in 40 years, he's reached the Elite 8 only 6 times!!! SIX. He's 6-12 in Sweet 16s. Phenomenal. He has numerous early exits to #15 Richmond, #13 Vermont, #12 A&M, #11 Dayton, #11, Marq, #11 Rhode Island, and a 1986 tourney home loss to Navy. A few upsets are reasonable, but he's had way too many.

Overall, he's a decent coach who was lucky enough to have Melo win the title for him, otherwise he'd be the most overrated coach in basketball today.

This is all true. But that doesn't mean it's TRUE-true.

Spock344 said:
may have been wrong??? MAY??? Drink the JB Kool-aid much? I'd like to hear you or I speak about a kid like that to the media that and get away with it. You'd be tarred 'n feathered. So what has JB done in 40 years that any Joe Blow off the street couldn't have accomplished? Here are some facts, not opinions... He was a no-name coach coming in. He was handed the Carrier Dome right at the onset of his career, a powerhouse Big East conference in the 80's which was lucrative for TVs limited gaming options at the time, which naturally led to a bevy of top talent flocking his way to be on national tv and play in front 30k audience... teams that had Addison/Pearl/Coleman/Owens/Douglas/Seikaly/Thompson, etc. All those teams had between 7-9 losses??? No excuse for that. You think those kids came to play for JB or the Dome/TV? He never once won the regular season n Big East title in the same year... while Uconn n Gtown did it numerous times. He's the only coach in America who has 1 game plan, and doesn't adjust his scheme (or lack thereof) regardless of the opponent. His offense can't score and has been a recurring theme for years now. Has he shown to develop the bigs on the team over the last few years... or does he just whine about em when he loses? Does he ever take responsibility for loses? He's Mr. November with numerous early season titles, but when the real tournament starts.. in 40 years, he's reached the Elite 8 only 6 times!!! SIX. He's 6-12 in Sweet 16s. Phenomenal. He has numerous early exits to #15 Richmond, #13 Vermont, #12 A&M, #11 Dayton, #11, Marq, #11 Rhode Island, and a 1986 tourney home loss to Navy. A few upsets are reasonable, but he's had way too many. Overall, he's a decent coach who was lucky enough to have Melo win the title for him, otherwise he'd be the most overrated coach in basketball today.

Ugh .. I cannot find the dislike button.

may have been wrong??? MAY??? Drink the JB Kool-aid much? I'd like to hear you or I speak about a kid like that to the media that and get away with it. You'd be tarred 'n feathered.

So what has JB done in 40 years that any Joe Blow off the street couldn't have accomplished? Here are some facts, not opinions...

He was a no-name coach coming in. He was handed the Carrier Dome right at the onset of his career, a powerhouse Big East conference in the 80's which was lucrative for TVs limited gaming options at the time, which naturally led to a bevy of top talent flocking his way to be on national tv and play in front 30k audience... teams that had Addison/Pearl/Coleman/Owens/Douglas/Seikaly/Thompson, etc. All those teams had between 7-9 losses??? No excuse for that. You think those kids came to play for JB or the Dome/TV? He never once won the regular season n Big East title in the same year... while Uconn n Gtown did it numerous times.

He's the only coach in America who has 1 game plan, and doesn't adjust his scheme (or lack thereof) regardless of the opponent. His offense can't score and has been a recurring theme for years now. Has he shown to develop the bigs on the team over the last few years... or does he just whine about em when he loses? Does he ever take responsibility for loses?

He's Mr. November with numerous early season titles, but when the real tournament starts.. in 40 years, he's reached the Elite 8 only 6 times!!! SIX. He's 6-12 in Sweet 16s. Phenomenal. He has numerous early exits to #15 Richmond, #13 Vermont, #12 A&M, #11 Dayton, #11, Marq, #11 Rhode Island, and a 1986 tourney home loss to Navy. A few upsets are reasonable, but he's had way too many.

Overall, he's a decent coach who was lucky enough to have Melo win the title for him, otherwise he'd be the most overrated coach in basketball today.
Go troll somewhere else. JB was wrong for what he said about Roberson and he was wrong last year in how he treated Chris McCullough last year. But to deny that JB has built the SU program to where it is today is wrong itself. You clearly have an expectation of SU hoops. Well where the h*** did you get that expectation from if not from JB's past success in building the program to a level where there are such expectations?

You lost me at "Here are some facts, not opinions..."

12th all time sucks.

2nd all time in wins but 12th all time in FF appearances. Why such a large discrepancy? I'm not saying he's a bad coach or I ever want him to leave or be replaced but that is quite a difference and proof of his teams tailing off during the tournament.

2nd all time in wins but 12th all time in FF appearances. Why such a large discrepancy? I'm not saying he's a bad coach or I ever want him to leave or be replaced but that is quite a difference and proof of his teams tailing off during the tournament.
FWIW - 6 of those coaches ahead of JB have FF's before the modern era of the tournament (80's). Not taking anything away from them, and they're all great coaches, but reaching the FF was different then...

2010 potential FF appearance derailed by AO's injury.

2012 potential FF appearance derailed by Fab Melo.

Two more FF's move JB into 7th place.

Prior to the tourney being expanded to 64 teams in 1985, teams didn't have to win 4 games to get to a FF.

JB is tied for 5th place in the 64 team era, behind Coach K, Izzo, Pitino and Williams. Even Dean Smith only made 4 FF's after 1985.

What he does in the community is highly commendable, but doesn't excuse the fact the power has gone to his head because he's squatted on the job too many years and believes he can speak about anyone however he chooses -- without repercussions. If Roberson was any of your own kids you'd see JB in a different light... Outstanding and loyal coaches don't seek out a scapegoat to completely insult and trash (Roberson) because his own coaching abilities are stale and behind the times. When you lose, point the thumb Blameheim... not the finger. JB's got talent on the team but, like most years, he doesn't know what to do with it.

sometimes the truth hurts and anyone with half a brain who watched the last 2 games can see that Roberson was not into the game and basically going through the motions. And if it were my kid then I would have said it before JB said it.

Nothing worse than wasted talent and Tyler is at times wasted talent.

Prior to the tourney being expanded to 64 teams in 1985, teams didn't have to win 4 games to get to a FF.

JB is tied for 5th place in the 64 team era. Even Dean Smith only made 4 FF's after 1985.

Dean Smith could be the most overrated coach in any sport. Guy won 2 titles on the 2 most BIZARRE plays in NCAA tournament history. That's how close he was to having zero titles if Brown doesnt pass to Worthy and if Webber doesnt call a timeout.

JB is tied for 5th place in the 64 team era, behind Coach K, Izzo, Pitino and Williams. Even Dean Smith only made 4 FF's after 1985.

4 FFs in 12 years, not bad.

I don't want to play the game of luck and bad luck because it works both ways, Carmelo came here and won us one, we don't win without him. He very well could have gone straight to the NBA like MANY of his peers did. We could have 2 titles if it wasn't for Keith Smart, but we don't. We could have 6 final fours but we don't. We could play the woulda coulda shoulda game all day for both ends of the argument but there is no point to, it is what it is, we have 4 FF appearances in JBs tenure, Uconn has 4 titles 16 years, less than half the time of JBs tenure, we can't rack everything up as luck.

Here are some facts, not opinions...He was a no-name coach coming in.
That's not a fact.

He was handed the Carrier Dome right at the onset of his career
Also, not a fact.

a powerhouse Big East conference in the 80's which was lucrative for TVs limited gaming options at the time, which naturally led to a bevy of top talent flocking his way to be on national tv and play in front 30k audience... Addison/Pearl/Coleman/Owens/Douglas/Seikaly/Thompson, etc. All those teams had between 7-9 losses??? No excuse for that. You think those kids came to play for JB or the Dome/TV?

Some of these are facts; much of it is opinion. They came to play for JB and the Dome and TV. By your creative use of "facts," I assume no kids really went to play for Paterno. It was all the 100,000+ crowds and the general dominance of the Eastern independents and later the Big 10 that got kids there?

He's the only coach in America who has 1 game plan, and doesn't adjust his scheme (or lack thereof) regardless of the opponent.
In light of the number of 2nd half comebacks I've witnesses his teams make over the last 17 seasons, this makes no sense. So again, not a fact.

His offense can't score and has been a recurring theme for years now. Has he shown to develop the bigs on the team over the last few years... or does he just whine about em when he loses? Does he ever take responsibility for loses?

No offense can score when players miss open shots. Sadly, we miss open 3's and open layups. Can chalk that up to coaching and that's a fair criticism since the 2012 season.

Did you black out for Christmas and his development over the years?

Holy s***! JB's been to 18 Sweet 16's?! That's pretty incredible. Unfortunately, when you're in the Tournament as much as he is, you're going to have some disappointing finishes.

Again, you really don't know the difference between "fact" and "opinion."

Again, you really don't know the difference between "fact" and "opinion."
May I define fact for everyone.
#1. It is a fact if it is my opinion.
#2. It is a fact if I say it louder than you.
#3. It is a fact if I repeat it often enough. (the number of repetitions is dependent upon the level of opposition.)

What he does in the community is highly commendable, but doesn't excuse the fact the power has gone to his head because he's squatted on the job too many years and believes he can speak about anyone however he chooses -- without repercussions. If Roberson was any of your own kids you'd see JB in a different light... Outstanding and loyal coaches don't seek out a scapegoat to completely insult and trash (Roberson) because his own coaching abilities are stale and behind the times. When you lose, point the thumb Blameheim... not the finger. JB's got talent on the team but, like most years, he doesn't know what to do with it.
He didn't completely trash or insult anybody. He said a kid wasn't playing well.
Treating kids with kid gloves is,why they over react and blow people away when things don't go well for them.
If it was my kid, I would have been on the phone asking him ehy he was playing so poorly, and telling him he needs to prove JB wrong.

I think he was a no-name coach coming in. But I don't think that reflects on his ability at all. If anything, it would make it harder than if he established himself somewhere else first. But whatever the case, he had to prove he was good enough. There are some areas where I think he could have had more sucess, but overall I think he's been a great coach and even greater fit for SU.

Dean Smith could be the most overrated coach in any sport. Guy won 2 titles on the 2 most BIZARRE plays in NCAA tournament history. That's how close he was to having zero titles if Brown doesnt pass to Worthy and if Webber doesnt call a timeout.

Before Webber called the timeout, he traveled HORRIBLY. It may have been the most blatant non-travel call I've ever seen. The entire UNC bench had a heart attack.

Last edited:
May I define fact for everyone.
#1. It is a fact if it is my opinion.
#2. It is a fact if I say it louder than you.
#3. It is a fact if I repeat it often enough. (the number of repetitions is dependent upon the level of opposition.)
#4. It is a fact if "someone in the know" wrote or said it
#5. It is a fact if I saw it in a blog on the internet
#6. It is a fact if all else fails (see #1)

IF he was my kid I'd want him to rebound and hustle

Here are some facts, not opinions...

He was a no-name coach coming in.
Opinion 0 for 1

He was handed the Carrier Dome right at the onset of his career,

A push...was not the beginning but it was early...

a powerhouse Big East conference in the 80's which was lucrative for TVs limited gaming options at the time, which naturally led to a bevy of top talent flocking his way to be on national tv and play in front 30k audience...

Opinion o for 2 with a push

teams that had Addison/Pearl/Coleman/Owens/Douglas/Seikaly/Thompson, etc. All those teams had between 7-9 losses??? No excuse for that.

O-P-I-N-I-O-N 0 for 3 with a push

You think those kids came to play for JB or the Dome/TV?

That is neither a fact nor an opinion. It is a question.

He never once won the regular season n Big East title in the same year... while Uconn n Gtown did it numerous times.

Yea!!! If true, this would qualify as a fact. Congratulations!!!!

He's the only coach in America who has 1 game plan,

Gimme an O
Gimme a P
Gimme an I
Gimme an N

Can you figure out the rest?

1 for 6 with a push

and doesn't adjust his scheme (or lack thereof) regardless of the opponent.

Yea!!!! another fa...just kidding... 1 for 7 with a push

His offense can't score and has been a recurring theme for years now.

Not only is this not a fact, the second part doesn't even have a subject.

1 for 8 with a push

Has he shown to develop the bigs on the team over the last few years... or does he just whine about em when he loses? Does he ever take responsibility for loses?

Once again, these are questions, not facts.

If the implied tone of these questions is sarcastic, then we have Opinion, Opinion, Opinion...

He's Mr. November with numerous early season titles,

The implied sarcasm is an opinion.

but when the real tournament starts.. in 40 years, he's reached the Elite 8 only 6 times!!! SIX. He's 6-12 in Sweet 16s. Phenomenal. He has numerous early exits to #15 Richmond, #13 Vermont, #12 A&M, #11 Dayton, #11, Marq, #11 Rhode Island, and a 1986 tourney home loss to Navy.

Yea!!! Spock is on the comeback trail...FACT, FACT, Opinion (phenomenal), FACT, FACT, FACT, FACT, FACT, FACT and FACT

A few upsets are reasonable, but he's had way too many.

But just when I thought you were beginning to distinguish between the two, you blow it with yet another...OPINION...

OPINION and OPINION...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom