OT:Anyone a French Speaker | Syracusefan.com

OT:Anyone a French Speaker

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
We have a group of about 6 fans coming down from Montreal to watch an American Football game. I'm trying to converse with seem in broken English.

Anyone here pretty fluent in French to help?

I wanna make sure these guys feel welcomed and become Cuse fans.

Interesting you mention that.

There was a group of maybe 10 guys from Quebec who came down for the V Tech game just to drink beer and experience American college football.

They all wore the same white jerseys and had their nicknames printed on the back. Some of the crazies in 302/301 adopted them, bought them beers and got them to cheer for Syracuse.

They had a great time and said they will be back. So the French Connection has begun!

Anyway, some recommended cheers:

Vous avez rien (you got nothing)

Déchirer leurs têtes off (rip their heads off)

Les Scarlet Knights sont un feu de benne à ordures (the Scarlet Knights are a dumpster fire)

Dungey est un dieu du soleil (Dungey is a Sun God)

We have a group of about 6 fans coming down from Montreal to watch an American Football game. I'm trying to converse with seem in broken English.

Word lens app that will translate both ways for ya

last time i was in canada for a hockey game they cheer they used was " go eat bacon"

last time i was in canada for a hockey game they cheer they used was " go eat bacon"
Wait.. is that for the home team or the visitors. Can't tell if good or bad.

Most french Canadians, at one point I was on a hockey team with six of them, speak pretty decent English. With that being said Putain De Merde is one of most French speaking sports fans favorite terms. Rough translation to f off. The guys on my team shortened it to put pronounced like poot every time they disagreed with the refs.

I saw a Bob Newhart Show rerun over the weekend where a French psychologist verbally abuses his mistress. I'm guessing none of that French will be helpful to you though.

There was a group of maybe 10 guys from Quebec who came down for the V Tech game just to drink beer and experience American college football.

They all wore the same white jerseys and had their nicknames printed on the back. Some of the crazies in 302/301 adopted them, bought them beers and got them to cheer for Syracuse.

They had a great time and said they will be back. So the French Connection has begun!

Les Scarlet Knights sont un feu de benne à ordures (the Scarlet Knights are a dumpster fire)

Nice work Tom!

Just don't make any French military jokes, and you will be fine.

Cowtown

That my friends, is a beautiful post.

Just don't make any French military jokes, and you will be fine.

Ok. I know you are a Cowboys fan so i know i have to set the bar pretty low but you do realize that Montreal is in Canada so these guys are Canadian and not French, right? :rolleyes:

Where is UEO when a Cowpoke fan needs him?

I'm a French model.

Bonjour.jpg

Great post Tom.

Just add:
La maison de qui (whose house)
Notre Maison (our house)

Il est pas leur faute (it's not their fault)
Ils ne saviant pas (they just didn't know)

Ok. I know you are a Cowboys fan so i know i have to set the bar pretty low but you do realize that Montreal is in Canada so these guys are Canadian and not French, right? :rolleyes:

Where is UEO when a Cowpoke fan needs him?

They might still be offended by French jokes, you never know. I mean Polish people could be offended my Polish jokes, even if they aren't living in Poland.

Is he from French speaking parts of Canada? I thought further north west ...
Thankfully no. He's actually a transplanted Yank. But he seems to know some of that foreign tongue

Most french Canadians, at one point I was on a hockey team with six of them, speak pretty decent English. With that being said Putain De Merde is one of most French speaking sports fans favorite terms. Rough translation to f off. The guys on my team shortened it to put pronounced like poot every time they disagreed with the refs.

Merde is the vulgar word for poop from my limited recollection of French. I wish I paid attention in high school more.

Merde is the vulgar word for poop from my limited recollection of French. I wish I paid attention in high school more.

That is correct.

A polite translation is, "Lady of the evening of excrement"...

Great post Tom.

Just add:
La maison de qui (whose house)
Notre Maison (our house)

Il est pas leur faute (it's not their fault)
Ils ne saviant pas (they just didn't know)
Génial!

Génie!

Just after I got out of college, I dated a French-Canadian girl that really wanted me to learn French. She'd made up index cards with French words on one side, English on the other and would quiz me (as well as trying to speak as much French as possible in our apartment.

On a trip to visit her family in Quebec, we decided to spend the day in Montreal (about 60 miles away from her family's house). We got into an argument and she stormed off...and left me stranded in Montreal. I had to get a can to drive me back to her family's house (I think the bill was something like $800 Canadian); I just grabbed my stuff and drove back to NY. I don't think we spoke ten words to each other after that day.

TL; DR: I don't speak any French and I root against Montreal in every sport...I still hate the Nationals because the franchise is forever tainted from their northern exposure.

I can help ya mark.

Je Me Souveins.

and im done.