OT - Anyone else think the NBA Lockout maybe just about over? | Syracusefan.com

OT - Anyone else think the NBA Lockout maybe just about over?

No. Talks are going well because they're avoiding the elephant in the room (BRI).

Once they get back to the table and the owners continue their demands of 50% or less of BRI, we're going to be back to the same stalemate as before.

I hope so. Both sides think a deal could be done by Monday. Havent heard one negative thing from this round of talks from anyone. Even people like Stephen A. Smith and Chris Broussard are saying this should get done.

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? Actually, for the sake of a few former SU players, I hope it get settled after the exhibition season is over and before the regular season games start in June.

Multiple reports last night said it was close. I heard they closed up just about everything but the revenue sharing, which, for the players' sake cannot go below 51%, if it goes to 50%, it will never go up again, because they'll never have the majority share, which they need to hang on to.

Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care? Actually, for the sake of a few former SU players, I hope it get settled after the exhibition season is over and before the regular season games start in June.

NBA players need to get over themselves.

In any event, for donte's sake I hope it gets fixed. otherwise his career might be over. He was the 12th man on arguably the worst team in NBA history. If this season gets blown out, then next yr rosters will have two drafts to make space for. He won't survive that.

IMG00001_normal.jpg

daldridgetnt David Aldridge
Prominent agent says union informed him that deal could be reached by Saturday. Check out @NBATV for latest info...

darrenrovelldarren rovell

by alanhahn

For the NBA players who follow me: Missing a month of the seasons costs $400M. Going from 52% to 51% on 7 year deal costs $280M!

good god I hope not. Means more college hoops on ESPN this winter.

Talks broke down and the sides have no scheduled meetings coming up. Don't expect a resolution soon

I hope not too. More college hoops, more college and NFL football. I hope the NBA lockout lasts for the next 50 years. Just an awful league all around.

I waited for the Knicks to be good for too long to have a season cancelled lol...they better get this done!

Same old story. The poor abused billionaire owners just can't stop overspending, they just can't help themselves. Then they blame the players. No matter what the salary cap ends up, the only thing that is certain is that most owners will immediately begin looking for creative ways to circumvent it. What Stern is trying to accomplish is to set the cap so low as to insure that each team cannot afford more than one star player in order to spread the talent out evenly among 30 teams. This has to be done (from the owner's perspective) because the NBA over expanded. There are probably 6-8 teams in markets that just can't support a team. But the owners aren't going to contract and refund entry fees. The result will be to water down the talent of the glamour teams (Boston, Lakers, Miami, and now the Knicks, Dallas, Bulls etc) the teams that drive fan interest in order to "salvage" crappy markets like Sacramento. The owners have planned for over a year to cancel the season to break the players union which they probably will unless enough players can earn some $$ playing overseas.

How are the owners making money if everyone is on strike?

Imagine someone having the vision along with the players to jump ship and start a new league.

How are the owners making money if everyone is on strike?

Imagine someone having the vision along with the players to jump ship and start a new league.

I think they still get TV money.

This whole thing just sucks. I saw the Hahn tweet above about how they're costing themselves more money by locking out than agreeing to a worse deal, but it kind of gives me more respect for the players. The negotiations for the next deal is going to start wherever these leave off, so capitulating and giving in on a % or 2 of BRI is going to hurt the next generation of players.

But I really wish they'd get it done.

Could care less about the NBA. For some reason I hope they are locked out for the next 20 years. College ball will be great :)

I'm not sure I could care any less. Hope they are locked out for months. I'm all for anything to knock another year off of Lebron's window of opportunity