ot: anyone have a great solution to avoid viruses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ot: anyone have a great solution to avoid viruses

This is correct. Get that and Malware Bytes, both free and you're good to go. Malware Bytes ALWAYS finds trojan horses, viruses, etc that Norton and the other clowns never find.

Oh, also...I would just like to post the word sex again.
Damn sexy.
Sexier than the crackpots in this video.

Still, am I the only one who is sort of missing sixy?
Come back sixy!

Aaaaaaand even better is the playlist it heads to once the RSF vid is done: Cyndi Lauper, Kajagoogoo (one of the seed crystals of the (epic) 80's thread), Outkast, Fatboy Slim - whatever man!

Recently got a nasty one on laptop and also desktop. Trust me when I say that it wasn't from prom sites. I've been using Norton but that's not working. Anyone has something that works.

iMac

If not, I 2nd the AVG recommendation. Also look at
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013

Here is a great independent article rating the best antivirus software currently available: http://www.consumersearch.com/antivirus-software

I just use no script and that takes care of script based attacks, which as I understand it is 99.9999999% of them. I also scrub cookies all the time.

No Script is the answer.

Even if you go to streaming sports sites, it knocks out everything before it can get to me.

You do have to know what you are doing though and understand how websites work, etc

Just to summarize all of the craziness that people have said in this thread and what my thoughts are:

I can give you a run down of what to do and also suggest everyone to do this:

1). Download Malware Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

2). Download the Add-Block plugin for your browser (I use firefox and suggest never using internet explorer, but there are plenty of good browsers): http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-...Name=platform=Windows&filter=platform=Windows

2.1). Firefox Browser download: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/#download-fx

3). Try your hardest to never click on random things such as pop ups, side bar advertisements, or even play buttons inside of videos, etc.

4). If you do get accidentally popped up, the best thing to do is just to click Control + Alt + Delete and then click your task manager. The task manger will be the best way to get out of this. If you have anything below windows 8, you'll need to click on the Processes tab. You DO NOT want to stay on the Applications tab, if you try to end a program that isn't responding it will just bullshit you for 30 minutes and then want to send an error report. Go to the Processes tab, organize it by name or memory usage and then end your browser. It will close all of the pop ups and also whatever pages you were on with your browser.

4.1) When you go to restart your browser, it will either instantly open up where you left off, and then you can x things out quickly before they open up, or it will prompt you to start a new browser or restore the previous version. You definitely want to start new.

5). If you actually do get a virus, trojan horse, etc. You can just run your malware bytes and it should take care of it. Some viruses will block you from running any applications at all, because they don't want the virus removed. If you do get this, again, go to your task manager and you can x out the virus under the processes tab, and then you quickly run Malware Bytes that way.

5.1) Sometimes the virus won't even allow you to open the task manager either, so if you get that, just restart your computer and while it's loading to windows, just quickly hit control/alt/delete as soon as possible. This will allow you to continue with the (5).

This run-down will be beneficial to you if you ever want things on FirstRowSports or visit sketchy websites. The main thing is to not download the "You need the ... in order to watch this video, click here to download it". Also, sometimes the play buttons on FirstRowSports is hotlinked to a pop-up. I've never heard of AVAST, but as Tee said, Malware Bytes is literally the best program in my opinion and has been for the last 10 programs. It's completely free too.

Anyhow, Mozilla + AdBlock Plus + Malware Bytes and you'll be good to go. Follow the steps to get rid of the virus though!

i will go with the immature response in that we have a thread on avoiding a virus and happy in my pants side by side or nearly so in the forum..

Someone recommended Avast + MalwareBytes here like a year or so ago and I don't think I've had a thing on my computer since...and both are free which is great, obviously.

serious answer and it works...do yourself a favor and buy a Mac. Don't ever have the problems that I had with my pc's...

Ads pay for this site, and I am very close to blocking access to anyone using an adblocker without setting Syracusefan.com as a trusted site.

To anyone using an adblocker - please set Syracusefan as a trusted site, or whatever is needed to let the ads here show up.

Just to summarize all of the craziness that people have said in this thread and what my thoughts are:

I can give you a run down of what to do and also suggest everyone to do this:

1). Download Malware Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

2). Download the Add-Block plugin for your browser (I use firefox and suggest never using internet explorer, but there are plenty of good browsers): http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-...Name=platform=Windows&filter=platform=Windows

2.1). Firefox Browser download: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/#download-fx

3). Try your hardest to never click on random things such as pop ups, side bar advertisements, or even play buttons inside of videos, etc.

4). If you do get accidentally popped up, the best thing to do is just to click Control + Alt + Delete and then click your task manager. The task manger will be the best way to get out of this. If you have anything below windows 8, you'll need to click on the Processes tab. You DO NOT want to stay on the Applications tab, if you try to end a program that isn't responding it will just bullshit you for 30 minutes and then want to send an error report. Go to the Processes tab, organize it by name or memory usage and then end your browser. It will close all of the pop ups and also whatever pages you were on with your browser.

4.1) When you go to restart your browser, it will either instantly open up where you left off, and then you can x things out quickly before they open up, or it will prompt you to start a new browser or restore the previous version. You definitely want to start new.

5). If you actually do get a virus, trojan horse, etc. You can just run your malware bytes and it should take care of it. Some viruses will block you from running any applications at all, because they don't want the virus removed. If you do get this, again, go to your task manager and you can x out the virus under the processes tab, and then you quickly run Malware Bytes that way.

5.1) Sometimes the virus won't even allow you to open the task manager either, so if you get that, just restart your computer and while it's loading to windows, just quickly hit control/alt/delete as soon as possible. This will allow you to continue with the (5).

This run-down will be beneficial to you if you ever want things on FirstRowSports or visit sketchy websites. The main thing is to not download the "You need the ... in order to watch this video, click here to download it". Also, sometimes the play buttons on FirstRowSports is hotlinked to a pop-up. I've never heard of AVAST, but as Tee said, Malware Bytes is literally the best program in my opinion and has been for the last 10 programs. It's completely free too.

Anyhow, Mozilla + AdBlock Plus + Malware Bytes and you'll be good to go. Follow the steps to get rid of the virus though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom