OT: Best job ever! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Best job ever!

In terms of fun, my best job was being a "supply" boy at a cosmetic factory. My job was to bring boxes of supplies to an assembly line. It was only a summer job, but the assembly line had dozens of young girls doing the set-ups. In the entire factory there were only three other male teenagers & two of them did not even speak English. Anyways, there was this very attractive young lady named Ginny who caught my eye. I was at an awkward & clumsy age back then & was afraid to approach her. I am no Don Juan, just an average looking guy, but miracle of miracles, one day at lunch one of Ginny's friends approached me & says that she wants to meet me !!! Anyways, we dated for awhile. She went to St. Bonnie & at one point we visited each other on weekends when I was at the Cuse. Regretfully, in the end I liked her more than she liked me, but it sure was fun while it lasted !!
Dream girl, nice story!
Trust me when I say, I would have been more clumsy and mucked it up.
You got farther than most of us would have.

That other thread made me realize that I've liked every job I've had in one way or another. No horror stories. Landscaping for a company, landscaping for myself, bagging groceries, making pizza and subs, working in a bakery, legislative policy, editing manuscripts, all good. (OK, cold-calling was pretty shitty.)

But the best was working for our school's SID in college. Got to keep score and maintain our website, write game stories and such. Football and hockey were fun; volleyball, soccer, and field hockey less so. By my second year, our SID had tired of traveling (and he was probably also being kind in extending me an opportunity) and suggested I become our basketball liaison for road trips. So I did, and it was great: getting paid (hourly, for 12 hours of each day we were on the road) to travel, stay in nice hotels and eat decent free food, and watch basketball and write about it.

Getting to see SU play twice from the scorer's table at the Dome constituted a pair of highlights (watching Boeheim's irate frustration with the bigs on the 2005 team from up close was a revelation - high as I was on that group, I should have known right there in December 2004 that that team was not Final Four-bound). Slipping some Syracuse talk into an interview with Young John Thompson at the Sun Bowl tournament in El Paso was another. And the whole experience gave me some new insights into the whole NCAA compliance-evasion game (which I knew existed at schools at SU's level, but surprised me at a Patriot League school).

Didn't end up wanting to pursue it as a career (frequent moves, bus travel, take-out food, and low pay? meh), but it was fun and I miss it sometimes.

Best Job ever is the one I still occupy, that is being a step-father too and helping raise the amazing brutalbee, of whom I am so proud

She saves babies from fires

brutal-bee_resized-.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom