OT: Best job ever! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Best job ever!

I guess this qualifies as a part time job...

Back in high school I loved making short, funny movies with my friends. These same goofballs and bozoos that would play zombies, celebrities, and others in my films just happened to be the stars of my high school's football and baseball teams.

So one thing lead to another and I found myself making highlight films for them for about $100 a pop. Word got out and I ended up basically making these films for roughly half the varsity football team. It even got to the point that the coach let me film from atop the coordinators' boxes.

I'm pretty sure I earned enough from these highlight films to buy my first laptop.

I don't really have a single answer. I've had many great jobs and learned a lot from each one. Working at Hungry Charlie's while a student was perhaps the most downright fun I had with co-workers and customers. It was an important place for me to work. I had a business installing satellite TV systems for a few years before the advent of direct TV and never had a displeased customer. It was my best business as far as making people happy. People were stunned by the technology. I had a construction business for more than a decade and built a lot of very cool things. It was my most creative work. I worked for FEMA for 13 years managing software development for their disaster assistance program. It was my best job in terms of responsibility and salary. Now I play the part of farmer taking care of 90 cows, making hay, and being a mechanic. It's been my best business as far as lifestyle.

Camp counselor. Always got the great review as I loved to run around with the kids constantly, never left my post, etc.
My senior counselor loved this too as he could chill, talk to girls while I constantly played in the field with the entire group.

Man, did I have energy back then. :D
That's my current job, and it is easily the best one I have ever had.

I'm sensing a theme here. Is anyone else going to say that their favorite job was being in the Army?
image.jpg

I wouldnt consider it the "best" job I've had... But it was the one that means the most to me.

I did 3 months on Fort Drums military funeral team. We did funerals for WW2, Korean War, and Vietnam vets in the Mass, RI area. 2 man team (should have been 3 or 4). I'd salute the casket as my counterpart played Taps. Then he would march over, and we would fold the flag, and pass it off. Everyone always seemed to keep their composure, until Taps started playing. Its not easy to keep it together, hold your mean ass salute, with everyone around you crying their eyes out. I practiced folding the flag for weeks before we left, and made sure that every flag we gave off, was perfect. After the funerals, the family members would come up and thank us for being there, try to give us money (we would never take it).

I was really honored to be able to be there, and show that the Military still apprieciated what their family members had done for their country.

Plus, we lived in a hilton garden inn in Worchester Mass for 3 months. Had my own room, an Unos attached to the hotel, (an unos which had nothing but amazing looking servers which I didnt waste anytime getting to know. Also, had a week off, got permission (kind of?) to take the government car to RI to visit my buddy at Bryant University. I damn sure didnt want to go back to Drum.

I wouldnt consider it the "best" job I've had... But it was the one that means the most to me.

I did 3 months on Fort Drums military funeral team. We did funerals for WW2, Korean War, and Vietnam vets in the Mass, RI area. 2 man team (should have been 3 or 4). I'd salute the casket as my counterpart played Taps. Then he would march over, and we would fold the flag, and pass it off. Everyone always seemed to keep their composure, until Taps started playing. Its not easy to keep it together, hold your mean ass salute, with everyone around you crying their eyes out. I practiced folding the flag for weeks before we left, and made sure that every flag we gave off, was perfect. After the funerals, the family members would come up and thank us for being there, try to give us money (we would never take it).

I was really honored to be able to be there, and show that the Military still apprieciated what their family members had done for their country.

My dad has been doing this as part of his VFW post since retiring. They do the 3 volley salute with M1 Garands, too. He's been doing 3-4 funerals a week. Some for way too young vets from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Very rewarding job. But I can't imagine how difficult that was with the younger heroes.
Sorry to hear man, but you must be very proud of your dad.

Yeah I am. He was a Navy Sea Bee in Vietnam and said hardly two words about it (experience that included being isolated at the siege of Khe Sanh), but now he is getting to open up a little more about it and help honor other vets too.

Any way back to the thread - not intending to hijack it!

I've had six real employers in my life (after the babysitting job from hell and many other babysitting jobs): Checkout girl at a Safeway Supermarket; clerk at Reader's Digest (recording by hand returned condensed books from Pennsylvania); reporter with Gannett Newspapers; press secretary for a US Congressman; various communications jobs at Con Edison; head of communications at GE. They were all great at various stages of my career... and all built upon the previous ones. And, in their own way, they all gave me confidence ... especially, oddly, the checkout girl job because, at the age of 16, it defined me as a responsible adult who could be entrusted with other people's money. In their time, I loved them all.

Electronic Arts (EA Sports it's in the game). Redwood California, catching the caltrain to work from Menlo Park. The environment was very people oriented. Had a campus like set up. Every floor had a mini arcade section. The tech support group would all play medal of honor during lunch break. Games were discounted for employees. Constantly meet sports celebrities. Got to meet Barry Sanders, Ray Lewis, Jason Kidd, etc. I could go on and on, it was truly an experience that I will never forget.

I worked for the team in the basketball office as a work study from Fall 96 to to Spring 00. Definitely will always be the best job of my life.

As a cool sidenote to that, they had a ton of glossy 8x10's and they were trying to clear some space before , so one of the secretaries told me I could take as many as I wanted. When Lawrence Moten was coming to Binghamton, I took each one of him I had because I figured he might want them (while autographing a few for me). One of the ones I gave him was a black and white of him and his fellow freshmen. He was literally pumped that I gave it to him, and even after I told them they were for him, he still asked if he could have it. It was cool to do something that made him happy, especially since he was my favorite player while I was in high school.

I worked for the team in the basketball office as a work study from Fall 96 to to Spring 00. Definitely will always be the best job of my life.

As a cool sidenote to that, they had a ton of glossy 8x10's and they were trying to clear some space before , so one of the secretaries told me I could take as many as I wanted. When Lawrence Moten was coming to Binghamton, I took each one of him I had because I figured he might want them (while autographing a few for me). One of the ones I gave him was a black and white of him and his fellow freshmen. He was literally pumped that I gave it to him, and even after I told them they were for him, he still asked if he could have it. It was cool to do something that made him happy, especially since he was my favorite player while I was in high school.
That well deserved like #100.
:D

My wife works in television/video production, she had a conflict one weekend and to make a long story short I ended up filling in for her (despite that industry not being my primary area of expertise). The job was recording the DVD commentary for the film Thank You For Smoking. My role was "producer". It basically entailed going to a studio in NY, greeting Aaron Eckhart when he arrived, catering to whatever he needed (which was minimal) and showing him to his seat in the studio where the commentary would be recorded. Jason Reitman and David Koechner were live via satellite in LA and being simultaneously recorded. I basically then sat and watched the movie while listening to the three of them talk about it. They went straight thru with one 10 minute break, then it ended and Eckhart left (and I soon followed). Maybe ~3 hours of "work", easiest $500 I ever made.

I don't really have a single answer. I've had many great jobs and learned a lot from each one. Working at Hungry Charlie's while a student was perhaps the most downright fun I had with co-workers and customers. It was an important place for me to work. I had a business installing satellite TV systems for a few years before the advent of direct TV and never had a displeased customer. It was my best business as far as making people happy. People were stunned by the technology. I had a construction business for more than a decade and built a lot of very cool things. It was my most creative work. I worked for FEMA for 13 years managing software development for their disaster assistance program. It was my best job in terms of responsibility and salary. Now I play the part of farmer taking care of 90 cows, making hay, and being a mechanic. It's been my best business as far as lifestyle.

I'm always fascinated by people who have such diverse career arcs like this.

I've been doing the same type of thing for about 15 years. I wouldn't mind doing something totally different,

My 2 favorite jobs were working as a Peace Corps volunteer teaching junior high level math and history in Botswana and as an Assistant District Attorney in the Brooklyn DA's Office. In both places met a lot of great friends, worked hard and partied hard.

In college I worked for the SID for a couple of years. Best part of my job was one football season I drove around in the "Pawsmobile". This was a 1963 convertible Cadillac Fleetwood painted white with big green paws on it. Oh yeah I also usually had 8-10 cheerleaders with me as I drove them around to their various PR events.

In terms of fun, my best job was being a "supply" boy at a cosmetic factory. My job was to bring boxes of supplies to an assembly line. It was only a summer job, but the assembly line had dozens of young girls doing the set-ups. In the entire factory there were only three other male teenagers & two of them did not even speak English. Anyways, there was this very attractive young lady named Ginny who caught my eye. I was at an awkward & clumsy age back then & was afraid to approach her. I am no Don Juan, just an average looking guy, but miracle of miracles, one day at lunch one of Ginny's friends approached me & says that she wants to meet me !!! Anyways, we dated for awhile. She went to St. Bonnie & at one point we visited each other on weekends when I was at the Cuse. Regretfully, in the end I liked her more than she liked me, but it sure was fun while it lasted !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom