OT - Bucket List Saturdays | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Bucket List Saturdays

Thinking of taking a kid to a college game next year and wondering which must-go place to watch a game is.

From experience or otherwise, what are the top two or three places to take a 12-year -Old factoring in age as this isn’t a booze-inspired trip)?

Thinking...

Georgia
Tennnessee
Texas (maybe Texas A&M)

Thanks in advance.
Georgia and Tennessee are outstanding. I haven’t been to the Texas schools, but A&M is at the top of my bucket list. Go to midnight yell practice the night before.

West Point Army home game, arrive early to watch cadets march on parade grounds. Wait to see how game ball is delivered to the white hat.

He’s been. But we didn’t get there early enough to see the cadets march. Good call...

A friend of mine went to school at Clemson...said gameday there was an amazing experience. I have heard others indicate the fans are mostly good folk. I would give that a look or maybe an Ohio State vs Michigan game. It holds 107,000 fans. I have not taken my son to West Point but may need to pull that trigger.

I will throw Red River rivalry out there. Can check out the state fair near by.

Thinking of taking a kid to a college game next year and wondering which must-go place to watch a game is.

From experience or otherwise, what are the top two or three places to take a 12-year -Old factoring in age as this isn’t a booze-inspired trip)?

Thinking...

Georgia
Tennnessee
Texas (maybe Texas A&M)

Thanks in advance.
Iron Bowl
OSU-Michigan
Red River
ND-Michigan or USC
Georgia-Florida
LSU-Bama

Syracuse in either the Peach or Fiesta Bowls next December...

+1 for any Cuse road game. My boys are 15 and 13 now. From memory, we’ve done Akron, Cincy, Miami (Ohio), Central Michigan, Pitt, Wake Forest, Southern Cal and Virginia.

We’ve reached the stage where high school sports schedules make road trips very challenging. So whatever you do, get those trips in now.

Great memories!

Georgia or Ole Miss for a non-Cuse game.

Good place for that birds and bees chat.

Otherwise Red River Rivalry seems great, and an early day too.

Thinking...

Georgia
Tennnessee
Texas (maybe Texas A&M)

Thanks in advance.
Clemson
Notre Dame
Army, if they haven‘t been already
Navy vs Army game
Yale vs Harvard.
A&M
LSU at night

My experience is limited, but going to College Station for a TAMU game was special. I'd recommend it. Probably not the most convenient place to stay, but it's not that far from Houston.

University of Colorado - get seats on the east side of the stadium so you're facing the flatirons on the west.

Heading to two Cuse away games next year...@Maryland (will tour the DC sites) and @Louisville (will do the Urban Bourbon tour AGAIN). Future bucket list includes:
Egg Bowl (Miss State @ Ole Miss)
UCLA/USC
Colorado @ Utah
A Washington Husky and/or Texas A&M game

Heading to two Cuse away games next year...@Maryland (will tour the DC sites) and @Louisville (will do the Urban Bourbon tour AGAIN). Future bucket list includes:
Egg Bowl (Miss State @ Ole Miss)
UCLA/USC
Colorado @ Utah
A Washington Husky and/or Texas A&M game
You may want to do this game in an odd-numbered year at the LA Coliseum when it's USC's last game of the year. Plus, then you'll get to see USC's band do its full schtick, including the sword stab at the start of the game.

People at USC will tell you their real rival, the team they want to beat above all others, is ND (and vice-versa) and not UCLA. In even-numbered years, USC hosts ND in the last game of the year and their attention is more on that game than on UCLA.

This thread is why I'm a huge advocate of playing one non-conference historical power each year. Watching Syracuse play in legendary venues, and hosting big-time fanbases in the Dome who know how to party, is the most exciting thing in the world to me.

This thread is why I'm a huge advocate of playing one non-conference historical power each year. Watching Syracuse play in legendary venues, and hosting big-time fanbases in the Dome who know how to party, is the most exciting thing in the world to me.

Yep. This season kind of revived the whole scheduling debate. I was always pro schedule someone awesome, like you. But this season did illustrate for me the value of having a soft schedule and i like that we can hopefully gain some momentum over the next few seasons and have consistent bowl years.

At the same time though, if we happen to get to 10-2 next year (with a loss to clemson), the pundits are going to be calling us out for not having beaten anyone. It may not matter as we could be a lock for the Orange if Clemson rolls again, but i think its more likely to be treated like a UCF or WSU than an LSU. Just dont have the cache.

FWIW, i will revise my earlier post by saying i'd like to see a night game at the Rose Bowl. Have always been enamored by the way those big trees loom over the bowl.

Last edited:
Yep. This season kind of revived the whole scheduling debate. I was always pro schedule someone awesome, like you.

I would love home-and-homes with schools like Nebraska, Tennessee, Texas A&M, etc. who we have absolutely no reason to be afraid of, but who have major name recognition and thus would bring casual fans out of the woodwork, would bring tons of visiting fans to the Dome, and we would be exciting road trips to travel to.

Forza Azzurri's suggestions were all great, IMO. I would focus in on the big rivalry games in college football. The people who listed the white out and Army-Navy are also spot on IMO. In addition to what they listed, I would add Washington-Washington State, The Egg Bowl, and the revival of Florida vs Miami next year. After that, you probably are looking at big time matchups for 2019 as your next "destination" games for next season. Notre Dame vs Georgia is the biggest such game, IMO. Alabama vs LSU will be huge next year as well. LSU vs Texas is another massive game. I could see a scenario where Clemson vs Syracuse is such a game. Between all of those, I think you have your collection of the best games for 2019.

Thinking...

Georgia
Tennnessee
Texas (maybe Texas A&M)

Thanks in advance.

Texas would be a great trip. Austin is such a fun town and you could do the game, go to Franklin's, etc. USC would be awesome, too. All the amusement parks, beach, taco trucks and the game would be fun for a 12 year old.

Take him to a Stanford game. You'll enjoy the Bay Area in the fall. And your boy will be inspired to do great things - just by walking the campus on the way to the game. Plus their new stadium is beautiful with perfect sight lines - kinda like the Dome but outside. The Stanford/ND game next year would be perfect.